• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Dawn

A troublesome outcome
    published: Sunday | September 9, 2007

Dawn Ritch, Columnist
    The outcome of the general election is surprising in two ways. First, I expected Portia Simpson Miller to win, despite opinion polls showing momentum with the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP). Second, I am most surprised that the Jamaican people would hand a 'fenky-fenky' victory to anybody, even Bruce Golding.

Only last week, I said Jamaicans do nothing by half measures, which is why the island is so exciting. But the victors have such a slim majority that it may not even be a governing majority.

Both sides of the House are almost evenly balanced. This looks to me like the electoral equivalent of a useless exercise in intellectualism. This is indeed a most troublesome outcome.

Readers will know that I already think there is too much agreement in Parliament between the Government and Opposition benches. This has resulted in a fast track to republicanism, a Caribbean Court of Appeal, and only registered companies being allowed to advertise. A machete should be taken to this legislation - and much else besides.

The island is now about to descend into debate. Worse yet, there will be even more consultations between Government and Opposition as Golding promised in his acceptance speech when he spoke last Monday night of his "... victory, tenuous though it may be."

But evidence suggests that much of the past 18 years has been a stitch-up between Government and Opposition in many regards. Now that we have been assured that the stitches will be closer still, it looks most dire indeed.

narrow margin
    Already, rumours are flying that there will be no more flying parliamentarians. With a narrow majority, they'll be barely able to leave the room. All of a sudden, people of no consequence, will have consequence; people ignored, will have to be paid attention. A bitter internal battle has already begun in both parties to see who these may be.

The irony, therefore, is that more politicians will be looking over their shoulders now after the election, than were doing so before.

Simpson Miller is almost certain to pursue magisterial recounts and constitutional breaches. How long that will take is anybody's guess, since the judiciary may take two months or two years to give its decisions.

Whatever the outcome, I hope it does not result in 30:30. A majority of one is better than none at all, but not even that would hold. Somebody might cross the floor.

In addition to pre-election promises to the nation and promises to individuals, Golding must now consider the promises to his winning parliamentarians. It is unlikely that all these promises will materialise. This puts the party leader in a most invidious position.

Spent personal capital
    But more invidious still, though for different reasons, is Simpson Miller's situation. After 18 years of government, the fact that the governing party lost by only a slim margin is entirely due to her. Because not even the Comrades wanted the PNP to stay in power. Had Dr. Peter Phillips been party leader, they would have won only nine or 10 seats. The PNP would have been decimated.

Simpson Miller spent her personal political capital on the unity of her party. She was magnanimous in victory. This meant that she kept all the people, both she, her party people, and the country would rather she had fired. The country was baying for the blood of Dr. Omar Davies, Phillip Paulwell and a host of others. She gave them not a drop, and paid for it with her own.

Nevertheless, some are now calling into radio shows saying that the PNP would have won had Dr. Peter Phillips been president, because he would have won the national debate. Others are calling different talk shows saying that the PNP will re-elect Simpson Miller in October. What's happening to her is almost of greater public interest than Golding's elevation.

Simpson Miller is sure to face a leadership challenge from Dr. Peter Phillips, despite the fact that she's won them all the seats they have, and any more that they might gain.

henry-wilson joyful
    As has been noted elsewhere, Maxine Henry-Wilson looked positively joyful on camera that the PNP had lost the election. And Peter Bunting, who also won his seat, is quoted in another newspaper as saying the outcome didn't matter one way or another to him. Win or lose his seat, it was of no importance to Peter Bunting. I certainly marvel at his detachment, and wonder why he bothered. The Labourites are crowing, and he's having a yawn.

Poor Portia. Before she'd even arrived at PNP headquarters on election night, the long knives were already out. Good thing she went early.

Readers will know that I don't believe in consensus, especially between politicians. I think a political leader must bite the bullet, and get on with it. This mayhem.

Nor do I believe in policies, because they're easily discarded. In his acceptance speech, Golding tried to be at his conciliatory best, but that is what has troubled me about him.

I find it hard to see how a narrow victory can suit anyone, most of all the country. At a time like this I'm even more grateful for the Westminster model entailed in a constitutional monarchy which we still have. This is why we have the permanent secretaries and civil service now running the country.

It must be noted, therefore, that constitutional change is a course that has not changed. If anything, it's gathered force. Here are people who can't even make sensible laws, but they're going to change constitutions.

With a narrow majority in power, the country should demand that Jamaica retain its current status. I don't want to find myself the citizen of a republic just because some Member of Parliament was absent during the vote.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing Golding's Cabinet. His party outspent Simpson Miller's PNP by a huge factor. Yet, they have ended up with what looks like a cookie-cutter result. Hopefully, his Cabinet will not suffer from the same affliction.
    Last edited by Karl; September 9, 2007, 11:55 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Dawn a my girl still,but the part weh she seh up top bout with di closeness(election) there is no room for intellectualism blah blah blah,etc.I dont agree,Jamaica will benefit from this close election and it's the best time to tackle crime,contitution reform(although a modified westminister system will be kept).

Comment

a hope you help her out cause she just a act so bitter.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I wonda why? I knew she was critical of Omar at one time,PJ the other,and now she appears anti-JLP,come on dawn be with the winners.

Comment

Working...
        X