X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah nuh me one think seh dem mash up di Party

Changing course - Breaking the shackles of traditionalism
    published: Wednesday | September 5, 2007

Police monitor operations at a polling station, at the Hart Hill Basic School, West Portland constituency on Monday, September 3. - Colin Hamilton/Freelance Photographer

PORTLAND:

Born in East Portland in 1927, Godfrey Allidice, an Aquarian, says he has supported the People's National Party (PNP) from as far back as the 1950s with pride and distinction.

This white-bearded gentleman, standing 6 feet 5 inches tall, possessing what appears to be immaculate vision, leans back in his rocking chair of 40 years, and bemoans what he believes is the steady decline of policies initiated by Norman Manley and to a lesser extent, the legacy left by the charismatic Michael Manley.

"I am shocked and ashamed to see the PNP movement literally destroying itself," he says.

Supporting his party

"There are only two general elections in which I have never voted and that was in 1976 and 1980, as I was away in England. Every other elections I have fully supported that political party," he adds.

The father of six, two of which are surgeons in Great Britain, points out that since former Prime Minister Manley retired in 1991 his successors have failed to deliver in all areas and have failed miserably.

According to the golden age man, the final nail in the coffin was the divestment of the Jamaica Public Service Company.

"That move by then Prime Minister P.J. Patterson is proving costly even today. My decision to change allegiance is not for just one reason, but for many different reasons. I adore Portia Simpson Miller as she is from the old school, but there are other concerns and clearly she is not supported by most of her colleagues," he says.

Mr. Allidice explains that with no social policies in place and little or no job opportunities for the youths, compounded by high taxation and an escalating crime rate, which is clearly beyond recovery, his decision to switch and support the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) was hard and pain staking.

"After 18 years of poor governance and mediocre performance I am willing to gamble with the JLP. At this point in time I honestly do not believe they can do any worse. I have weighed all the options and I believe I have made the right and painful decision," he says.

- Gareth Davis Sr.

Is our political system set up to have the populace vote on referedums on the ballot regardless of political affiliation? I think if the people could vote in say a Proposition then that would take away some of the helplesness that they feel in regards to changing course in JA

When people start feeling so helpless and nothing seems to be going their way then its easy to see where all it would take is one flashpoint and then its over.

We need strong church and civic organistations aka government watchgroups. How are we going to sit idly by and watch them build an aluminium smelter right under our nose?

This after dem try fi mine in the cockpit country and after dem sell wi out to marc rich nothing was done so of course no one can fault the people dem fi ask fi change.

My personal opinion is that we need to affect changes outside of the political parties. If a guy a flood the ends with guns then I will flood the ends with documentaries and books. If a guy ony fix the crime when it affect tourism then I will gladly advertise our dirty wares here on youtube.

Stop waiting on change fi happen right now its time for us to MAKE it happen, no bodda fear dem because a no nobody dem.

If the politicians flip up then we just show more love to the youths and love and go round dem.

Comment

You can certainly understand the thinking!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I agree that we need to make MUCH greater use of referenda.

Marc Rich is back...whey yuh deh? His company repalced Trafigura. This is stale news from back in July....long before elections were held.

Comment

I have never heard of a referenda on the Jamaican ballot

Has it ever been used before? Personally I think the people of Jamaica have certain wishes regardless of political affiliation and it would be good for the civic society if we could disagree on party but agree on the greater good for Jamaica.

I think that would be a great step in teaching our youngsters "conflict resolution" skills. Children live what they learn and they aren't idiots so they know that if "fi dem party inna power then things ago run" and if not then dawg nyam dem supper so cut off from the world dem have an incentive fi fight for "scarce spoils"

If we have referendum that will take some of the power from the politician and put it in the hands of the people, thus beginning the process of weaning us from the "dependency syndrome"

I really believe that its something we can all agree on while we disagree on party and that is something we can all work on while we disagree.

IF we note how its done in the EU France might have some problem with England or Germany but while they work it out behind the scenes they are buying commodities from Africa under the EU umbrella.

That is the part we were never taught and that is the part that is holding us back. Plus its one of the deadly sins(Wrath) the purging for that in purgatory is walking through blinding smoke(Ras Shatta interprets that to mean the grades of the highest quality and a strong medi to see through the distraction)

We have to calm down at times to look for ways dem might be playing us and that is why the book "Art of War" is a must read. If you don't know what your enemies are doing then how are you going to counter?

respect

Comment

Originally posted by Shatta View Post
            I have never heard of a referenda on the Jamaican ballot

Has it ever been used before? Personally I think the people of Jamaica have certain wishes regardless of political affiliation and it would be good for the civic society if we could disagree on party but agree on the greater good for Jamaica.

I think that would be a great step in teaching our youngsters "conflict resolution" skills. Children live what they learn and they aren't idiots so they know that if "fi dem party inna power then things ago run" and if not then dawg nyam dem supper so cut off from the world dem have an incentive fi fight for "scarce spoils"

If we have referendum that will take some of the power from the politician and put it in the hands of the people, thus beginning the process of weaning us from the "dependency syndrome"

I really believe that its something we can all agree on while we disagree on party and that is something we can all work on while we disagree.

IF we note how its done in the EU France might have some problem with England or Germany but while they work it out behind the scenes they are buying commodities from Africa under the EU umbrella.

That is the part we were never taught and that is the part that is holding us back. Plus its one of the deadly sins(Wrath) the purging for that in purgatory is walking through blinding smoke(Ras Shatta interprets that to mean the grades of the highest quality and a strong medi to see through the distraction)

We have to calm down at times to look for ways dem might be playing us and that is why the book "Art of War" is a must read. If you don't know what your enemies are doing then how are you going to counter?

respect
            We had a referendum in 1962 that resulted in us pulling out of the WI Federation. Since then nada. Politicians learned that this was dangerous stuff for them and see how many we have had since.

Switzerland has them all the times...just need like 600 signatures on almost any matter and a referendum (or local voting) is forced. In Switzerland, they have like 6-10 elections a year on all kinda matters. On local matters, even long time foreign residents can vote. However, we are talking about a mature democracy...over 700 years old! People here laugh at the US as being a young bud in this thing.

Do you know they sell guns in shops here, but dont have the crazy shootups like in the US. I have seen 18 year old youths in T-shirts going off to their military service with a General purpose machine gun slung over their back...and no-one (but me) bats an eyelid.

There needs to be a resurrected JIS or even private TV channels showing nothing but documentaries all day long. Jakans need to see how others live. We have lots to learn and lots to remember.

One thing you have to see for it to seep in. In Singapore, I saw huge ships lined up in a traffic jam in both directions in the strait leaning into and out of their harbour. Traffic Jam like on the freeway! It blew my mind.

Comment

Thats a good idea a documentary channel. I can see that now and it would be very very dangerous to the power structure but I like it as it would open people's eye to as you say see how others live.

I recently held a strong medi on that as I overhear a youth fresh from Jamaica in a restaurant recently a ask him brethrin say "yow! a no up the street dem keep the BET awards?(Kodak Theater like 15 miles away in Hollywood) and when his brethrin say yes the youth proceeded to ask the next question "A how much fi go inna dem place deh, it must cost a whole heep a money a lie?"

Mi no laugh offa people because mi understand but I guess mi coulda hide the fact say mi a listen and the brethrin obviously embarassed tell him friend say "no my youth you no pay go inna dem place deh a pure star go deh so"

Those BET and MTV channels are our biggest distractions as our youths honestly think that people in America are living that way and so dem no rate what dem have and sell them souls fi live in fantasy.

If people know and understand the history of the television medium they will believe that in most cases entertainment is the secondary message.

Why unnu think a so much so called Jews run hollywood or dem try and stop cosby so and dem run go buy up MYspace or any channels to the masses?

Control of a people first start by controlling what they see and since seeing is believing you can then control how they think.

Not even the quarter of this have been told and if you think a lie check out mark wignall and Mr Seaga article in the Observer and Gleaner today.

ITs like Wignall a fire warning shots but all that aside then he should know that everyone is threading on dangerous grounds because if a person can run for office as a dual citizen then shouldn't a dual citizen be able to vote like they do for Mexico?

with 1.5 billion dollars sent to Jamaica yearly in remittance shouldn't we hvae a say or better yet shouldn't we force ourselves to have a say?

Very slippery slope but Willi Garvey was right when he said control your shipping and Logistics

editors note: as a Garveyite and a bad man I choose to combine then both and a so mi come up with Shatta Logistics(a wah do some people man?)

respect

Comment

Working...
              X