X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents storm schools for fee refund-Star

Parents storm schools for fee refund
    Sanjae Sterling, Staff Reporter
    Parents have been streaming into some schools demanding the refund of fees following the recent victory of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).

The party had promised free education to students if they won the general election which was held on Monday.

At the Vauxhall High School compound, two parents told THE STAR they had heard earlier in the morning that they could now collect money at the school. As one of the parents explained that she would still be paying the money regardless of the promise of free tuition, another said she was turned down when she went to collect her refund.

"Nutten nuh guh suh, cause free education cyaa be inna Jamaica; mi a guh pay it. Downtown this morning mi hear di people dem seh dem a guh bank fi get back dem money, some a dem did done guh bank and di bank turn dem back. One whole heap a crowd did deh yah this morning but dem gone," she said.

Confused and stressed
    At this point, the other parent added that she was confused and stressed. The woman, a beneficiary of the cost-sharing programme at the school, lamented that she was just turned back when she went to collect the money she had paid.

"Dem seh mi naw get it back. One a di teacher dem seh wi naw get it back. Yuh nuh si a trick Mr. Bruce trick wi. Mi deh pon di cost-sharing ting and pay half, but dem seh mi naw get it back," she said.

Speaking to THE STAR, Beverly Richards, a senior teacher at the school, explained that the parents who had come for refunds were mainly 'aggressive' and impatient.

"The parents need to think because I would not say that the man won on Monday and expect to get back my money on Wednesday. The parents must be patient," she said.

At Camperdown High School, the principal was said to be occupied. But, a parent on the compound said that she had not paid any fees as she was a bit confused about the payment process.

"I came to find out if we should pay school fees.
    Shi (referring to the principal's secretary) just tell mi a while a guh seh shi don't know. We don't want when them come in Monday morning, dem turn dem out. I want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth," she said.
    Reports by at least one parent, that the St. Andrew High School was refunding payments to parents were proven to be a rumour. Principal of the school, Sharon Reid, said that all operations at the school were not affected by the JLP's promise,

Regular procedure
    "For this time of the year we would be collecting vouchers and so on, and the pattern has not changed. We only operate on the written instructions of the Ministry of Education. We have had parents asking about the payment of the tuition fees. Until we receive written instructions, the regular procedure should be followed," she said.

In a release issued yesterday, Bruce Golding said that the principals of all government high schools should allow the admission of students for whom tuition fees for the new academic year have not been paid.

To alleviate the concerns of parents, he said appropriate arrangements will be worked out between the Ministry of Education and the schools to refund the fees that have already been paid.
    Last edited by Tilla; September 6, 2007, 09:34 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Reckless promise by the JLP! And the arrogant Nelson was not able to see that.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Reckless promise by the JLP! And the arrogant Nelson was not able to see that.

sigh
      What was reckless about it? He has stated they will get their refunds as long as they provide their bank statement. As the lady seh "the man win on Monday and you want your refund on Wednesday"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        What was reckless about it? He has stated they will get their refunds as long as they provide their bank statement. As the lady seh "the man win on Monday and you want your refund on Wednesday"?
        Why waste time wid the Poppyshow Brigade? Sickko vex that the PNP get voted out .... Mosiah simply love follow the crowd. Afterall, one fool lead many.

The PM has not been sworn in as yet, but has announced that arrangements will be made for parents to be refunded. Suh mek Mutt and Jeff gwaan form the fool.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Talk to di schools. RECKLESS!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So Lazie all 200 plus high schools will b e in a position to open their doors to the over 2,000 students each come Monday morning.

And I am not even counting the Primary and All-Age schools here...if they have fees as well.

When do you think the schools admin will get the time to get all their paper works in place to submit to the Min of Education to get the money to run the schools?

Since me and Mosiah forming the fool, would you mind answering these questions for a change.

Please dont run this time.

And dont forget that school opening were pushed back a week because of elections, can we afford to sacrifice the education of the next generation on the altar of JLP wild promises?
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

What else would you say? Yuh blood pressue rise before you can give the JLP credit. Call it what yuh want ... when they said they would do it, you preached it was electioneering. I guess that you're being proven wrong yuh ago find something else fi vex bout.

Gwaan follow Sickko.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So they should have left it out of their manifesto even though it is part of their platform and they planned on following through all along?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                  So Lazie all 200 plus high schools will b e in a position to open their doors to the over 2,000 students each come Monday morning.

And I am not even counting the Primary and All-Age schools here...if they have fees as well.

When do you think the schools admin will get the time to get all their paper works in place to submit to the Min of Education to get the money to run the schools?

Since me and Mosiah forming the fool, would you mind answering these questions for a change.

Please dont run this time.

And dont forget that school opening were pushed back a week because of elections, can we afford to sacrifice the education of the next generation on the altar of JLP wild promises?
                  Stop fuss yuhself! Sit back and watch how the people govern. The PM hasn't been sworn in, therefore there is no Minister of Education, suh what dem must duh? I guess if Andrew Holness should mek some statement about the issue you and Mosiah would be upset even more.

Bruce will be sworn in Monday ... Is not the JLP fault all this is happening. Portia could have called election June, July and early August.

Gwaan provide entertainment.

Comment

Still have not answered my question boss, you are trying hard to defend some thing you yourself dont understand and cant explain..and yet you call people culitist....check the mirror my friend check the mirror
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Still have not answered my question boss, you are trying hard to defend some thing you yourself dont understand and cant explain..and yet you call people culitist....check the mirror my friend check the mirror
                      Please don't classify Lazie in your category Sickko. Yuh question is insignificant Sickko. All I've said is the new gov't is not sworn in as yet .... what suh hard inna dat fi compre ... understand.

Comment

So Lazie all 200 plus high schools will b e in a position to open their doors to the over 2,000 students each come Monday morning
                        Why shouldn't they? What has changed?

Monday through Friday 8-5pm

can we afford to sacrifice the education of the next generation on the altar of JLP wild promises?
                        Hyperbole at it's finest.

Comment

How can you say my question is insignificant?? If you dont know the answer admit it and stop trying to cloud the issue.

I asked a legitimate question, how will schools be able to start the school year with no money..when will the school admin, already overburdened by the many things they must do to start the school year, then go find time to do up what is needed to send statements to ministry to get the money to start school.

That is not an important question lazie?

Me lose of a yuh, you sound like Jawge now. Jah know.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

How can you say my question is insignificant?? If you dont know the answer admit it and stop trying to cloud the issue.

I asked a legitimate question, how will schools be able to start the school year with no money..when will the school admin, already overburdened by the many things they must do to start the school year, then go find time to do up what is needed to send statements to ministry to get the money to start school.

That is not an important question lazie?

Me lose of a yuh, you sound like Jawge now. Jah know.
                            Lose off a me? Sickko, if it was the PNP admin doing this yuh would be in support of it. Dem say dem gonna dweet, unuh doubt dem. Now dem win and going ahead with it ... unuh still a find fault.

Di man dem nuh tek office yet ... trust me, there will be alot to go after them in the next 5 years. Stop being bitter.

Comment

Yes, he should be given time. I don't care whether it is JLP, PNP, NDM, communist or the party of god, leaders need to understand the mentality of the majority of the masses. Given the dire economic situation, an uncontrolled statement that has people printing receipts and looking for ways to collect what they are likely not owned is reckless.

What should be announced is a time table that include controlled re-distribution to include a way to validate who pays and how much. Not sure how this bank statement thing will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X