RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Parliamentary disqualification rules...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Parliamentary disqualification rules...

More eligibility issues -Government contract holders may be barred from House in Jamaica
    published: Thursday | September 6, 2007

Winning candidates in the recently held general election who might have had government contracts, and failed to make a disclosure of the same a month before the nation went to the polls on Monday, run the risk of being barred from taking their seats in Gordon House.

This mandatory disclosure is embedded in the Constitution. Days before the September 3 general election, concerns were raised about the eligibility of candidates who reportedly had sworn allegiance to a foreign power.

Section 40 (2) (a) of the Constitution provides that no person shall be qualified to be appointed as a Senator or elected as a member of the House of Representatives who, by virtue of his own act, is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience or adherence to a foreign power or state.

However, leading up to the election, no mention was made of the associated provisions under Section 40 subsection 2 (c) of the Constitution, which imposes an important disclosure qualification whenever a person who seeks to be elected to the House of Representatives or appointed to the Senate is also a party to a government contract or is a partner in a firm or a director or manager of a company which, to his knowledge, is a party to a government contract.

Disqualification

Contractor General Greg Christie, in a letter to the editor, pointed out that the aforementioned subsection of the Jamaican Constitution is one of seven provisions of Section 40 (2) of the Constitution which, if offended, will result in the disqualification of the appointment or election, as the case might be, of the person to whom it relates.

"In substance, Section 40 (2) (c) provides that no such person shall be qualified to be elected as a member of the House of Representatives if he has not previously disclosed the nature of such contract and his interest or the interest of such firm or company therein, by publishing a notice in the Gazette within one month before the day of election," Mr. Christie said in his letter.

He added: "As (it) regards appointments to the Senate, Section 40 (2) (c) imposes a somewhat less stringent disclosure qualification. It provides that no such person shall be qualified to be appointed as a Senator if he has not previously disclosed the subject contract particulars by informing the Governor General."

In his closing remarks, Mr. Christie said as the public debate regarding the implications of Section 40 (2) (a) proceeds, some attention should be directed at the foregoing.

Hmm, The PNP MPs better be carefull with this court thing.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
      Hmm, The PNP MPs better be carefull with this court thing.
      The time to be careful about these things is long gone!

My thoughts on the matter (being at one with starting the campaign for 2012 now) wish private citizens as provided by the Constitution and thus law should file petitions against both the persons holding dual citizens and who may not have disclosed contractual relations with the government and force new elections in those constituencies.

I hope there are many and thus an almost new general election. The PNP I hope now has time to rework their messages. Hopefully - let the fun begin!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        I hope there are many and thus an almost new general election. The PNP I hope now has time to rework their messages. Hopefully - let the fun begin!
        Mi nuh know wha fi seh. Karl want a mulligan to rhattid

Comment

a hope Audley Shaw at work digging out the bottom a the draw them, some man may not even have fi wait fi courts so if Karl want the fun to begin so be it.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            Mi nuh know wha fi seh. Karl want a mulligan to rhattid
            What would you say if you knew that at this moment JLP candidates are asking for Final counts and stating that if they are not declared winners they have put things in place to request a Magisterial Count?

What would you say if you knew that in losing seats JLP losers are asking for new elections?

It is being said by those candidates NOW!

Let me be clear that there is also 1 losing PNP candidate asking for the same thing. ...but, the difference is it is the JLP candidates who are pulling a Portia - i.e speaking in a manner that could be called - inciting for WAR!
            ...I repeat I am listening to the stance NOW! (NNN radio).
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              What would you say if you knew that at this moment JLP candidates are asking for Final counts and stating that if they are not declared winners they have put things in place to request a Magisterial Count?

What would you say if you knew that in losing seats JLP losers are asking for new elections?

It is being said by those candidates NOW!

Let me be clear that there is also 1 losing PNP candidate asking for the same thing. ...but, the difference is it is the JLP candidates who are pulling a Portia - i.e speaking in a manner that could be called - inciting for WAR!
              ...I repeat I am listening to the stance NOW! (NNN radio).
              So let me get this straight. The JLP who won the election is demanding a new election?

P.S. KARL that was the losing PNP Candidate HARRY DOUGLAS saying those things. Tap tek people fi fool.

Comment

karl is NNN radio free? well then can you please send on the link

Comment

www.nationwidenewsnetwork.com
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatta View Post
                    karl is NNN radio free? well then can you please send on the link

I am to call. Forgive me! I shall call - short talk!

http://www.nationwidenewsnetwork.com/

Comment

I hope the long arm of the law, even our court's arm that stinks to high heaven most times, comes down on all of them, like Shakespeare's rain. Nah sorry fi none a dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Too right. Lol

Comment

Funny, we never heard such a scream for justice, save for the JFJ, over the past 18 years. I think this is going to end up with a call for disqualification of all elected JLP MPs.
                          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

that is only thing that will satiate some people!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well, none in the JLP have Govt contract...be sure of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X