No announcement yet.

What’s in store for the losing leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s in store for the losing leader?

What’s in store for the losing leader?

By Kimmo Matthews
    Staff Reporter

The many months of preparation and political campaigning for tomorrow’s General Election are now over and Jamaicans in their numbers will be moving to cast their ballots another time around.

Some political analysts believe the elections will not only decide which party will govern the country for the next five years, but could also herald the end of several high-level political careers, especially that of the leader of the losing party.

The analysts, who spoke with the Sunday Herald last week, contended that Jamaica’s 15th General Election since Adult Suffrage will have much deeper implications than many persons have seemingly assumed.

They argued that after many months of mobilising resources, the two main political parties were ready for the day of reckoning, as the political atmosphere was now as charged as it could ever be.

The Parties
    For the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP), the analyst said that after 18 and a half years in the political wilderness, the party, with its new leader Bruce Golding, was desperately banking on victory at the polls.

For the People’s National Party (PNP), the analyst said that after the same period in power, the party, with its new leader Portia Simpson Miller, was hoping to be given a fifth term in office.

Analysts like Dr. Paul Ashley, said the time immediately ahead would be very interesting.
    “Both leaders have done all they can do. For the one who is not successful, I don’t see him or her assuming the leadership role in his/her respective party as the Leader of Opposition,” Dr. Ashley said.

In emphasising his point, Dr. Ashley said: “For Simpson Miller, I do not think she is equipped to be the Leader of the Opposition and I think Bruce Golding would be tired of trying (and failing).”

Two other political analysts who requested anonymity, agreed with Dr. Ashley. They argued that based on the atmosphere in the two main political parties, it would be very difficult for the leader of the losing party.
    However, while Dr. Ashley and the two anonymous analysts felt that way, other analysts, such as Lloyd B. Smith, felt differently.

“…It would seem to me that Golding would be hard pressed to continue to remain the leader of the JLP, should the party lose this election,” Smith said. “But there is still a possibility that if he loses he could bounce back, as he is a fairly young man,” Smith added.

JLP Backing
    But he made another significant point against the likelihood of Golding retaining the party leadership on a loosing ticket.
    “Although he (Golding) has done what one would regard as a very good job in terms of reuniting the party and giving it a good, fighting chance for the elections, the reality is that the party has been subjected to a lot of very big money backers who have put all their faith and trust in his ability to bring home the elections,” Smith said.

“If he were not to do so, I think there would be a serious amount of faults, that he would be perhaps forced to step aside,” Smith continued.

As for the PNP, Smith said, “the reality is that it is no secret that there are elements in the PNP who are not comfortable with her (Simpson Miller) as leader and as Prime Minister,” and a loss for the party could see her being forced out.

He, however, said there was also the chance that she could bounce back, as she was a leader with a lot of influence.

“Both leaders have a-lot to lose in this election, and based on how things pan out, it could mean that either of them could head for the political wilderness if their party should lose,” Smith said.

He was, however, keen to say that in the case of both parties, there was a possibility that the losing leader could be forced to take a back seat and likely bounce back after a few years.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Maybe Portia should run for President of the JFF? get out of party politics and get into Football politics. She has the experience doesn't she? Whe yu seh?

pr
    Peter R

Comment

nominations close

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Perhaps she should save face by retiring from 'elected politics' and moving to the upper house (a senate seat). I guess that will guarantee her a pay cheque.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Senators are not paid..they were trying last year to pass a bill to change that.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

If she retire now she get same money like Bruce, although him say him gwine change that. I would support him there!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              Senators are not paid..they were trying last year to pass a bill to change that.
              I thought they were paid.
              A mus mi ead...but, mi did sware dat before mi lef Jamaca mi did si dem salaries listed innah di Gleaner?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Senators Welcome Salaries Committee Report

KINGSTON (JIS)
                Monday, November 17, 2003
                Members of the Senate have welcomed the recommendations of the Parliamentary Salaries Review Committee, which was presented by Prime Minister P.J. Patterson in the House of Representatives last week.

Commenting on the Report during Friday's (Nov. 14) sitting of the Upper House, Government Senator Naval Clarke, said that he was happy that the recommendations put forward by the Committee, chaired by Oliver Clarke, recognized the work of Senators and therefore had recommended that they be paid a taxable honorarium based on attendance, which could total $500,000 per annum.

"I am happy to see that at long last there is some provision in this recommendation for Senators ...it is something in the right direction," he stated.

Senator Deika Morrison also congratulated the Committee for pointing out the need for the public to become more involved in the role of Parliamentarians. She said," it went beyond the issue of just salaries, and I just want to commend the Committee for pointing out the need for the public to become more involved and the role of the Parliamentarians in ensuring that the public realize that we are here to do their work".

Leader of Government Business, Senator Burchell Whiteman. commended the report's recommendations on improving the conditions under which Parliamentarians work. "I think that is very important and they have been very specific and clear in their recommendations and I think that they are to be commended for that," he stated.

Mr. Whiteman stressed that, "it is very important that the public understand what Parliamentarians are about . the institution of Parliament itself should be better understood and appreciated by the general public and we have a role in doing that and I find it very satisfying that the Committee sought to make recommendations which would address that".

The Salaries Review Committee was set up by the Prime Minister to examine how the most recent salary increases given to Parliamentarians compared with other public sector wage and salary settlements over the last 10 years.

Other Terms of Reference of the Committee were to consider whether the present formula and linkages should be maintained, modified or abandoned; recommend whether or not a new formula is required and if so to make proposals as to the basis, mode and machinery of its application; consider the implication of the treatment of Parliamentarians as "self-employed" and to make recommendations as it may deem just and appropriate; examine the allowances presently paid to non-ministerial members of the Senate and recommend such adjustments as appear necessary; examine the allowances presently paid to non-ministerial members of the Senate and recommend such adjustments as appear necessary; to examine the contributory pension scheme for parliamentarians and to make recommendations on the provision of reasonable benefits for retired legislators.
                Last edited by Karl; September 6, 2007, 02:37 PM.
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  If she retire now she get same money like Bruce, although him say him gwine change that. I would support him there!
                  im getting paid? ...or...? till mi a

Comment

Mi did tink seh mi pose dis - http://www.parliamentarysalaries.org/allowances.html

Comment

Working...
                    X