New gov’t says school tuition promise is safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gov’t says school tuition promise is safe

Days before the start of the academic school year the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) is reiterating its promise that it will be abolishing tuition fees.

In a statement, Party Leader Bruce Golding urged Principals of all Government High Schools to allow the admission of students for whom tuition fees for the new academic year have not been paid.

The JLP Leader assured principals that the Education Ministry will remit funds to cover the tuition costs for these students.

Mr. Golding's statement comes on the heels of reports that the coffers of some schools are empty due to the refusal of parents and guardians to pay admission fees.

At the same time Mr. Golding said appropriate arrangements will also be worked out between the Ministry and the schools to refund tuition fees already paid.

Repayments will be honoured based on the relevant documentary evidence.

Mr. Golding says the statement was being issued to alleviate any uncertainty or confusion that may exist surrounding the admission of students for next week's reopening of schools.

The JLP leader said he would be issuing the appropriate instructions to the Finance and Education Ministries immediately upon assuming office as Prime Minister.
    Last edited by Karl; September 6, 2007, 11:58 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

naw lie...good move to stave off the chaos that was expected!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Lazie, how can a country with so much debt afford free school tuition? That promise was a mistake, and I support a reduction, not a total elimination.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

There are other fees than tuition.

Tuition fees are just about half of the fees.

How did we afford CWC?

I support such an ease to tax payers, plus it send a sign that Govt takes Education seriously. This is not charity, but a small investment in the future. Much more needs to be eventually done.

Comment

If we grow by .5 % then that is great.
          Bruce need to sure up his leadership and this can do it for him as it will prove he is a man of his word. He now need to ask the people for their help in reducing crime, better education, and economic growth.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

willi thank yuh bredrin...govt. after government state that they realise the value of education yet tachers are underpaid (thereby reducing the quality and calibre of teachers one can attract), education is usually the first to get cut if the budget looks shaky and so forth.

i have always taken the view that despite lip service governments who seek popular favour benefit from poor education as they can feed the masses anything as gospel.

this is a step in the right direction. bruce faada have a school named after him and hopefully being the son of educators will influence how bruce deals with education as a whole.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So now we can guarantee that all our children have access to a crappy education system.

Yay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you would prefer to PAY for the crappy education?!!

Comment

I never had a problem with cost-sharing.

The focus now must be improving our schools, infrastructure and all, especially the pedagogy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

hmmmm....depends on which is more manageable first.....but i do take your point and myself agree that the quality of education HAS to be improved!

after 18 years under the education government what do we have...a lot of high schools with CRAPPY education as you rightly stated.

Comment

Mo the people who get hurt most by cost sharing are the poor or lower middle class who humilated by the bill collectors and the children really have nothing to do with the fact that their parents don't pay. In my book this is not a milestone decision but a necessary one. We need the attendance up as even farmers need to step up.

I hope them can draft in Enid Bennett, Eddie Seaga and Dr. Joyce Robinson amongst others to play a role in the developement of Education.
                      Our curriculum needs to change to reflect our society, entrepreneurship and tourism amongst other very good professions that we all know.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        I never had a problem with cost-sharing.

The focus now must be improving our schools, infrastructure and all, especially the pedagogy.
                        Didn't they indicate they will be taking steps to improve the quality education?
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yes, they did. I will be watching!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Yes, they did. I will be watching!
                            Oh .. so you're aware, but getting on the man dem case .. and dem nuh tek office yet? Laughable.

Comment

They were asses to promise an immediate refund to the parents! Yuh will see who laugh come Monday!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X