Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more time for those who missed it

From the constitution
    1. Subject to the provisions of section 40 of this Constitution, any person, who at the date of his appointment or nomination for election-
      1. a Commonwealth citizen of the age of twenty-one years or upwards; and
      2. has been ordinarily resident in Jamaica for the immediately preceding twelve months, shall be qualified to be appointed as a Senator or elected as a member of the House of Representatives and no other person shall be so qualified.
    2. (1) No person shall be qualified for election as a member of the House of Representatives who-
      1. is a member of the Senate;
      2. is disqualified for election by any law for the time being in force in Jamaica by reason of his holding, or acting in, any office the functions of which involve any responsibility for, or in connection with, the conduct of any election, or any responsibility for the compilation or revision of any electoral register.
      (2) No person shall be qualified to be appointed as a Senator or elected as a member of the House of Representatives who-
      1. is, by virtue of his own act, under any acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience or adherence to a foreign Power or State;
      2. holds or is acting in any public office or the office of Judge of the Supreme Court or Judge of the Court of Appeal or, save as is otherwise provided by Parliament, is a member of a defence force;
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

I for one is curious as to hat the truth is. The law is the law and it should be upheld.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The mere fact that someone has dual citizenship does not inherently imply that they are in allegiance to a foreign Power or State. This issue is moot as far as I am concerned, and the right thing to do is renounce the foreign citizenship.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortikal View Post
        The mere fact that someone has dual citizenship does not inherently imply that they are in allegiance to a foreign Power or State. This issue is moot as far as I am concerned, and the right thing to do is renounce the foreign citizenship.
        ... but renounce it when? It would have to be renounced before being nominated .... right?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I have no legal training, but I don't think the PNP has any legal basis to remove a candidate who has dual citizenship. As far as I am concerned, it should be Ok for the person(s) to renounce citizenship before appointment to parliament.

Comment

tell you the truth it's all blurry to me too....it may well need to have a court ruling as to WHEN the renunciation has to take place....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
            X