• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationwide claiming decision on the elections would

have to be made tomorrow.

Why tomorrow?
    Nationwide knows something we do not?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Statement by the PM being read.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I was going to say if puting off the elections would be necessary. Thinking about it, the systems they have put in place to carry out the elections could be affected by the election. Moreover, there could be human suffering from the devastation that it would be not the smart thing to carry on business as usual.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Nationwide has gone too far. This is a moment of distress by the nation. The PM moves swiftly to prevent any possible...any possible escalation of the distress.

The PM has taken preventative measures. If tomorrow it warrants being revoked...then?

What could possible be happening now?
        Night!
        No lights?
        Some destruction?
        Premises/properties - businesses and residential damaged/compromised?
        Emergencies - personel, machines and supplies needing to move widely and swiftly without undue interference and obstruction across the island?

...well keep those not needed and their methods of transport off the streets. Keep the streets and roadways free to allow for swift deployment of *emergency workforce, equipment and supplies....and, to prevent attacks on businesses and residential properties and the law-abiding people.

*emergency workforce = nurses, doctors, essential services workers - restoration of communications/keep lines of communication open, other emergency workers - e.g. security forces, fire brigade, operators of emergency vehicles...necessary workers - suppliers of medicines, food and water, etc; persons to evacuate the sick, persons to work at clearing roads, reconnect and flush water supply, restore sewage systems, reconnect broken electric power lines and restore electricity, open supermarkets and places where food is stored...etc.

...protect life and limb!

In the light of day a continuation of the assessment and decision on whether or not State of Public Emergency still needed.
        Last edited by Karl; August 20, 2007, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
          I was going to say if puting off the elections would be necessary. Thinking about it, the systems they have put in place to carry out the elections could be affected by the election. Moreover, there could be human suffering from the devastation that it would be not the smart thing to carry on business as usual.
          An assessment can be done tomorrow...then a decision taken. It may very well be that the elections can go forward as planned. By tomorrow afternoon a clear picture should emerge on whether or not the decision can be made to proceed as previously planned.

Comment

suh who declare the postponement? bruce?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              suh who declare the postponement? bruce?
              I am thinking...and others seem to think so, that as long as the state of Public Emergency exists it effectively would be that there could be no elections. However, considering the PM has put in place a review today and I would expect if necessary daily reviews...the elections are still on as the State of Public Emergency can be terminated immediately necessary.

btw - It was 'funny' to hear Cliff Hughes consistently referring to the State of Public Emergency being aborted. I guess that was a part of his effort to imply the PM does not have a grasp of the situation and her declaration would be aborted?

Comment

Don't you think she will play politics with this?

In my opinion there is no need for more than 3 days state of emergency, if we want it then it can be extended.

How many other times have a PM called a one month state of public emergency? It is all about election and win at any cost.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Don't you think she will play politics with this?

In my opinion there is no need for more than 3 days state of emergency, if we want it then it can be extended.

How many other times have a PM called a one month state of public emergency? It is all about election and win at any cost.
                  Clap yuhself Sass!!! You've passed the Thinking Person Test. Since I'm so biased, I was waiting to see who else would see it.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

And which political leader wouldn't? We are all getting too ansty here. Let us wait until the dust has cleared. I am sure there is a lot of hurricane damage in St. Thomas, Clarendon and possibly St. Elizabeth. Let us wait until electricity and telephone is restored, the situation evaluated, the peace kept. Hopefully, the 2 political leaders can lead from the front and by example and make the hurricane recovery effort a national issue.
                    Sometimes, we jump at every opportunity to make the other side look bad, rather than focus on the good we should do. So all candidates should get into their respective areas and see what are the needs of the people, the old, the young, the ill. Let the security forces deal with the greedy and stove stealers.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                      And which political leader wouldn't? We are all getting too ansty here. Let us wait until the dust has cleared. I am sure there is a lot of hurricane damage in St. Thomas, Clarendon and possibly St. Elizabeth. Let us wait until electricity and telephone is restored, the situation evaluated, the peace kept. Hopefully, the 2 political leaders can lead from the front and by example and make the hurricane recovery effort a national issue.
                      Sometimes, we jump at every opportunity to make the other side look bad, rather than focus on the good we should do. So all candidates should get into their respective areas and see what are the needs of the people, the old, the young, the ill. Let the security forces deal with the greedy and stove stealers.
                      Antsy? A state of emergency was used in 1976 for a certain purpose. Maybe someone should have gotten antsy. Why is there a state of emergency for a MONTH?
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Calm yuself. If you are facing a Cat 4 possible a Cat 5 heading straight for the island to run right through the middle called "the worst hurricane to hit Ja in 100 years" by CNN what do you think is the expected outcome. Massive destruction and mayhem! We were SPARED this and now we all jump and down like madmen and say we don't any State of Emergency! So...maybe after an evaluation is done, this can be adjusted and we can be less antsy (for want of a better word)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                          Calm yuself. If you are facing a Cat 4 possible a Cat 5 heading straight for the island to run right through the middle called "the worst hurricane to hit Ja in 100 years" by CNN what do you think is the expected outcome. Massive destruction and mayhem! We were SPARED this and now we all jump and down like madmen and say we don't any State of Emergency! So...maybe after an evaluation is done, this can be adjusted and we can be less antsy (for want of a better word)!!!
                          Exile, what I always find funny is how people a tell a man named Lazie fi calm down. I've just heard an interview with a constitutional lawyer who shed some light on reality. Maybe you should have listened.

There are those who wait till the horse gone through the gate or better yet ... like Karl, will agree with any move that is beneficial to the 5th term.

Comment

How Ansi?

It is within her rights, I was responding to Karl's post. Some people see no political motive in what the PM or the PNP do as they are the government but as Golding open his mouth he must be the opposition leader and not make it political. The fact that you can see that politics maybe involved made my point.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Tell mi how come President Bush call a State of Emergency in the State of Texas BEFORE Dean even hit Jamaica and not a peep from anybody?
                              You still listening to Lawyers? They could spin anything any which way..maybe that's why our politics in the state it is in...too many lawyers...anyhow, what was his spin?

Comment

Working...
                              X