No announcement yet.

Those who dont live here or pay taxes here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with gamma's two astute posts(how could I not), but it was in response to assertions sickko would've been better off not making, in the bigger picture, sickko has a point. Why have the power to elect a government that under which you will not be governed?
    Also, the amount of Jakans living abroad is quite large, insomuch that they can determine the outcome of elections. Feeling is knowing!

Blessed

Comment

But the whole world is selective. We allow only 18 years and older to vote. Why? Aren't 16 year olds considered citizens? Why can't they vote?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Was this your original Question?

"I know Jamaicans who live in the US for years and decades who have no intentions of ever moving back here but because they send remittance think they have the right to decide who should preside over those of us who either decide to live here or have no other choice.

Many of those cant even vote in the US cause they either only have Green Card or dont have no legal status."

Nowhere I see US Citizen in this question so the question is still valid. You get caught with a question you can't provide answer to so that is your reply.

No should these people be allowed to vote or not?

If you want to vote here, move here and pay taxes like all of us.

Comment

A person who acquire Citizen by descent does not have to be awarded all the rights and privilages as citizenship by birth or residency. For example a person who acquires Jamaican Citizenship by descent cannot transmit that Citizenship to his or her child.

My idea is for one or more constituency to represent the diaspora with Jamaicans voting wherever the live. With this model the persons who acquire Jamaican Citizenship by descent would have full voting rights in the constituency where they live. I am opposed to the idea of the diaspora voting in constituencies in Jamaica because they don't live in those consitituencies.

We here in North American need our own consituency and our own representative. I don't want to vote for any candidate who is issuing guns for proctection. I don't want to vote for any candidate who is riding around with gunmen for protection. I don't want to vote for any candidate who don't have the mindset of the majority of us who live oveseas. I dare to suggest that most of us who live overseas would insist on a level of accountability from our elected rep that is way above what is tolerated by our family at home.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
            I don't want to vote for any candidate who is issuing guns for proctection. I don't want to vote for any candidate who is riding around with gunmen for protection. I don't want to vote for any candidate who don't have the mindset of the majority of us who live oveseas. I dare to suggest that most of us who live overseas would insist on a level of accountability from our elected rep that is way above what is tolerated by our family at home.
            Now, maybe you can understand why I voted Rasta the last time.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
              A person who acquire Citizen by descent does not have to be awarded all the rights and privilages as citizenship by birth or residency. For example a person who acquires Jamaican Citizenship by descent cannot transmit that Citizenship to his or her child.

My idea is for one or more constituency to represent the diaspora with Jamaicans voting wherever the live. With this model the persons who acquire Jamaican Citizenship by descent would have full voting rights in the constituency where they live. I am opposed to the idea of the diaspora voting in constituencies in Jamaica because they don't live in those consitituencies.

We here in North American need our own consituency and our own representative. I don't want to vote for any candidate who is issuing guns for proctection. I don't want to vote for any candidate who is riding around with gunmen for protection. I don't want to vote for any candidate who don't have the mindset of the majority of us who live oveseas. I dare to suggest that most of us who live overseas would insist on a level of accountability from our elected rep that is way above what is tolerated by our family at home.
              Time, each MP gets a SESP fund. This MP with a 'virtual' constituency, what would he do with that fund? If we should be allowed to vote, we vote for the constituency we resided in.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Or at least the constituency where you have assets, pay property taxes, some connection like that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Or at least the constituency where you have assets, pay property taxes, some connection like that.
                  Agreed! I see no need for more constituencies. Personally I'd rather a reduction.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Thought you had that? OK..get sm more.

Comment

Mo it better some a them who went back to Ja did stay a foriegn. Sorry to say but some carry them gun, ginalship etc.

There are some people who are afraid to return to where they are from. While some of us need to be more proactive and contribute some more, there are others which I wish them would stay far from the island and that includes the people who can't pay them rent and child support and dress up fi out a Jamaica on credit card bills and tell people how successful they are.

Some try to contribute. I was talking to a very progressive doctorand he said he donated stuff for heart patient and it was stuck on the wharves for a long time and not even in Haiti that happen. He said a relative was sick and the doctors didn't want to take care of her until he was there and made arrangement for payment.

He said he was very turned off. He is also a lover of football and still say he is thinking of a way to contribute. It is not only upon the person living in US but also upon the people in position in Ja. I think it is only a pity because this man and his family has been a very good citizen and have given to many cause.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No i think you missed what I wa saying, maybe I did not properly convery it...ofcourse I cnat agree with him to say the man should leave, what i wa ssaying is that Assassin was wrong when he said Pernell said all Jamaicans with overseas ties should leave, i was saying that pernell was addressing just one man not all...
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko why you continually misquote me to make up for your lack of clarity?

I made no such statement about Pernel saying anything about all Jamaicans.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Do the farin Jamaicans want to choose specific rights and privileges as Jamaicans, or will they submit themselves to the law as local Jamaicans?
                            Mo, as a Munro man, mi nuh expect that type of response from yuh! It shows that you have no appreciation for the word "citizen or citizenship"! Because I choose to live outside of the country does not make you more a citizen than I.

Any Jamaican with a valid Jamaican passport and who lives abroad should be able to vote. That for sure would exclude a lot of folks, including myself as my Jamaican passport expired a few years ago.

This would be even another way for the government to get more money from the foreign based Jamaicans in demanding that to be eligible to vote, you have to have a current Jamaican passport. If you have a valid Jamaican passport, then you can get enumerated so you can vote.

Because people are Jamaicans it does not mean that everybody would be able to vote as they would first have to take the steps to give them that ability. Many may not even bother going through the trouble as like many who live outside the country, they may not vote in their current country of residence because they do not take the steps necessary to vote.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              But the whole world is selective. We allow only 18 years and older to vote. Why? Aren't 16 year olds considered citizens? Why can't they vote?
                              This question was asked of some young Jamaicans recently. The question was if they should lower the voting age to 16. The majority who answered said they did not think it should be lowered as 16 year olds may not be mature enough to make those decisions.

Mosiah, again you surprise me. The voting age is a thing set by our Constitution under a thing called Universal Adult Sufferage. It gives the right to vote to adults irrespective of age, race, religious belief, social standing etc. The fact of the matter is that 16 year olds in Jamaica are not considered adults under the law and therefore are not afforded that right.
                              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

If you pay property taxes in a constituency, then you should be able to vote there.

Comment

Working...
                                X