No announcement yet.

Those who dont live here or pay taxes here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A UB40 under the Jamaican Constitution is a citizen by descent. They should be treated like any other Jamaican citizen. As I told Sickko, you cannot be selective on which of our citizens you allow to vote.
    Last edited by Tilla; August 19, 2007, 02:05 PM.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I know when I lived in the States I was all for allowing Jamaicans abroad to vote. Now, I'm not sure.

Sickko makes some good points. Do the farin Jamaicans want to choose specific rights and privileges as Jamaicans, or will they submit themselves to the law as local Jamaicans?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I keep warning you about your ill advised outbursts but will you listen. let me ask you is the studnet in university a citizen of the United state sof America or are they there on a student visa?

Are the diplomats and farm workers citizens of the United States or are they there on a special visa?

Think before you post man, is that too hard to ask for ?
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

For once I am sticking up for a rock-stone Labourite and Pernell Patro was not telling all Jamaicans with US links to go back there, he was talking specifically to the guy who is going up against him in the elections.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Pearnel maybe right but this kinda thing sells or he would have been a lot more diplomatic about it.

Sometimes it seems like going to America to get education or a better living means running away.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

For some of us, it is running away.

Whatever happened to that idea of returning to Jamaica and working for her success? Whatever happened to that idea of putting a halt to brain drain?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo if you knew what some people been through you would empathize.
                Can you imagine a close family member been killed for no reason someone migrate, or someone who don't have enough CXC passes to get in UWI get into a community college, or other college? These are just because of oppurtunity and some of the people we think are running would want to come back and contribute but them AFRAID. If you check out the employment rate inna certain communities you see why some man just pack up and go. A nuh a easy thing when you have a youth and not even banana fi give to them, you may say a running but a just survival that.

I think it is a minority who run away and don't want anything to do with Ja. Many people will eventually come back, Jamaica just need to be put in order.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Many people will eventually come back, Jamaica just need to be put in order.
                  How about returning home and helping to put Jamaica back in order?

Sass, Jamaica can't hold everyone. Suppose yuh want to do aerospace, NASA-quality stuff, then no use staying here. And there a hundred more fields like that. In fact, had I not lived abroad I would never have learnt what I do now by staying here.

But some a unnu run whey!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I met the president of the Jamaican Progressive League in Washington DC about two weeks ago and I explain we here in North America needs our own represenatative in parliament. My justification is that we send our money home and that alone is the biggest foreign exchange earner. That does not include the money we save in Jamaican banks, the real estate that we purchase and the money we spend as when we visit yard.

We in North America deserve a seat in the Jamaican parliament.
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      How about returning home and helping to put Jamaica back in order?

Sass, Jamaica can't hold everyone. Suppose yuh want to do aerospace, NASA-quality stuff, then no use staying here. And there a hundred more fields like that. In fact, had I not lived abroad I would never have learnt what I do now by staying here.

But some a unnu run whey!
                      Well, mi always keep it real. Mi run way! Why beat around the bush? My time on this earth is limited and I need to make the most of it. Say what unuh want, I had to run away to find opportunity to move ahead.

What a lucky thing Barrington Irving Jr parents run whey? Otherwise he WOULDN'T realize his dream
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                        I met the president of the Jamaican Progressive League in Washington DC about two weeks ago and I explain we here in North America needs our own represenatative in parliament. My justification is that we send our money home and that alone is the biggest foreign exchange earner. That does not include the money we save in Jamaican banks, the real estate that we purchase and the money we spend as when we visit yard.

We in North America deserve a seat in the Jamaican parliament.
                        Sorry time. Cannot agree with that. If we should be allowed to vote, we should vote in our respective constituencies.
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Marcus Mosiah Garvey did run whey...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How would you determine in which consituency a person should vote? Place of Birth?
                            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Pearnel was totally out of place!!! How could you support a position like that??? What right he has of sending ANYONE especially a JAMAICAN CITIZEN back to anywhere?? Rethink your position, change your course!

Comment

There is no such think as foreign Jamaicans. You have to take citizenship more seriously. How could you fall into the typical group think "now that you are back home"? There is a very strong case for the overseas vote but it must be structured or carefully managed. Maybe they should have a voice in the Senate and Parliament. Maybe they shouldn't DETERMINE the outcome of the election but have an independent position.
                                There is no reason for local Jamaicans to feel 'less than'or should overseas Jamaicans either

Comment

Working...
                                X