If this is true then.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people 'ead tuff!

I'm sure they allow anything they choose. Is fi dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      But Exile, it's not like these parliamentarians go out there and seek insurance for themselves. It is bestowed upon them, this farin health insurance. Who pays for that, but the taxpayers of Jamaica, we who have to be putting up with inadequate equipment, sloppy service, disgruntled staff and the rest at our local hospitals?!?

Something is seriously wrong with that!!!

I wonder who pays the airfare for them too?
      See ... when yuh have a point, mi affi agree with you!
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, why can't we agree on the other issue? Remove the green blinkers for a minute.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl have a problem connecting the dots.

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl will argue that nothing was proven.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What??? I didn't know that. Thought it was private insurance...well, maybe we all should have a Jamaica Group Health Insurance from foreign.

Comment

Karl will argue that nothing was proven.
                ...and, contrary to Lazie no one has yet been caught.
                Wen dem ketch su-madi...den a time fi sen dem a jail and or tek weh ebryting dem gat!
                Last edited by Karl; August 16, 2007, 07:45 PM.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well I mentioned the TT case where the citizenship was given up AFTER the elections. Thing is - is the candidate QUALIFIED to run in the Jamaican elections?

Comment

From my reading of the law, the candidate is not qualified to run. His/her nomination is actually invalid.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl once again there you go supposing...the news article clearly pointed out that TWO PNP candidates Ian Hayles and Norman Horne, two former JLP members, renounced their American citizenship a few weeks prior to the Nomination day process.

So no need to go supposing the equal amounts of PNP Candidates might have the same problems
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

NONSENSE!!!! At the very least, you are being disingenuous.

The law is very clear - if you, by your own accord, acquire citizenship of another country, then you are ineligible for a member of parliament position. It is particularly vexing for me when the USA is involved because they do not recognize dual citizenship.

No need to be cute about "public office". That can and does mean anything. We are talking about the upcoming election where people are seeking members of parliament position.

If the candidate was born in the foreign country, and in this case wi talking bout di USA, then that would not disqualify said candidate, because he or she did not have a choice in where the birth took place.

But I find it the heights of slackness for any person who is a sitting MP to acquire citizenship of any other country. What message does that send to the citizens of Jamaica? These are the people, from whatever party, who sit and pass legislation and whatever else they do in parliament (sleep included) who might be making our lives hell by their actions, and for the MP to have the ability to flee to their adopted country when the heat start reach them - slackness!!! Still upset about the fact that they have foreign health insurance, so don't get me started?!?!

It is noted that when asked about it, Shahine's response was that she has a Jamaican passport and a Jamaican driver's licence. Who the hell asked her about that?

We should not wait for the elections to kick these people to the curb. Their nominations should be declared void. They need to step now! I say deport them all to their adopted countries!

And it would be interesting to know what was edited from Comment's previous post. I can bet he was simply making sure that he used the right words in his vain attempt to cloud the issue.
                        Ah... Mosiah, I am not trying to cloud the issue. The law is very clear. You are correct. Here specifically is what it says:

2) No person shall be qualified to be appointed as a Senator or elected as a member of the House of Representatives who-

1. is, by virtue of his own act, under any acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience or adherence to a foreign Power or State;

Therefore, as I stated, merely holding dual citizenship does not make you ineligible for public office.

Therefore, the question that demands urgent answers from Mrs. Robinson and co. is did you, by virtue of your own act, take steps to submit to any acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience or adherence to a foreign Power or State?

If the answer is yes, then you and I are in agreement (except about the deportation thing). If the answer is no, then perhaps apologies should be forthcoming.

However a no comment to the specific question and a red herring about where you were born and what drivers license you hold just will not do!

Comment

Okay. Please forgive my exuberance. Afterall, others have been so forgiven.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not at all, Karl. Not for me, and the constitution doesn't have a problem with it.

The difference is, none of us can determine our place of birth. That should not disqualify you from seeking high public office, once you are a citizen of that country.

It's when you, by your own will and desire, seek this farin citizenship, that's when the constitution and I have a problem.

Makes sense to me.

I find it ridiculous that Americans do not allow foreign-born Americans to run for President. But HL say America do everting sensible, so who am I?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okay. Please forgive my exuberance. Afterall, others have been so forgiven.

But yuh not youthful!!

Comment

Oh! Forgiveness is based on that fact. heh heh!

Come to think of it, how old is Paulwell!? Why does he qualify for that "youthful" descriptor and not me?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X