No announcement yet.

If this is true then.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All me can say constitution or no constitition to disqualify someone cause them have dual citizenship is CRAP.

How many Jamaicans in general hold dual citizenship? How does it affect one's performance?

So it is easier for a deportee to become a MP than someone who may possess dual citizenship?

Ahbwoy, isn't this something else?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What does it matter if she have it locked or not?!?! How is that an issue? Of course we know why it's just coming out. Does that make it flippant or invalid?

Yes we can wait to find out if is gospel or not. But her own words on the subject are instructive.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So them can't get the same treatment with dem greencards or corrupted money that they have aquired?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Nothing wrong with that. I agree wholeheartedly. Just don't run for an MP position in Jamaica with your US passport in tow.
          Well, is Shaine is a US citizen, it didn't affect her representing the people in my constituency. .
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Funny as it sounds, that deportee is now stuck in Jamaica. At the very least he would want the best for himself, either in a selfish way or hope that the country does well so that he can feed himself and his family.

The "dual citizen" can flee when the going gets tough. Why should that person be trusted to work hard for Jamaica's welfare when it's so easy to get to Miami?!

Yuh ever hear bout Spirit Airlines?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Matter of opinion. She is still breaking the law.

Or is it that the law is not a shackle?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

fortunately it's more than about what you may or may not want...there is the constitution

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Thanks Lawyer...all the foolishness and posturing from Lazie and Ben Jamming is worth naught...let them go back and read what the law says.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

That is T&T and this is Jamaica..boss sorry precendence does not count here and trust me wont either...
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

This might not directly relate to the topic but as someone who holds a JA passport and a US passport, TRN card and a SS card, I am often distressed by the simmering tension that exists in our yard vs foreigna labels and dealings. I detect a certain level of distrust in both camps that is definitely not healthy for our country Jamaica. We need to grow up.

Comment

We must be able to make the distinction between holding JA and USA passports, TRN and SSN cards and running for high office in Jamaica. Jamaica is not unique in such a law. Try and understand the implication of having two masters when you are an MP or indeed, the ultimate MP, the Prime Minister. Yes, it is an implication, but an important one.

I bet a KC Old Boy would never want a Calabar Old Boy to be president of their association, even though he could very well be their best president ever!

What we are talking about can easily be fixed. Fix it, if indeed you care about this country and the position you aspire to. If you would rather not, then what does that now imply?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah anybody can flee when they want. You don't have to have dual citizenship.

What them want to hold people hostage? Those laws need to be changed, can't you think of any good reasons how it can be positive? If we just want people who can't leave to represent us then that will make the pool of good representitve cut by a good deal.

The days of this kind of thing is done. We need fi deal with our country and not these side issues which is really non issue.

Comment

The joke is, Seaga did not have to give up his citizenship. He chose to do so! He did not go searching for US citizenship as it is being reported Shahine did while she was a sitting MP. Seaga was born there, so he could have held both citizenships (from a Jamaican point of view) if he so desired and still be an MP and a PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Comment View Post
                              merely holding dual citizenship does not make you ineligible for public office.
                              It certainly does!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                                NONSENSE!!!! At the very least, you are being disingenuous.

The law is very clear - if you, by your own accord, acquire citizenship of another country, then you are ineligible for a member of parliament position. It is particularly vexing for me when the USA is involved because they do not recognize dual citizenship.

No need to be cute about "public office". That can and does mean anything. We are talking about the upcoming election where people are seeking members of parliament position.

If the candidate was born in the foreign country, and in this case wi talking bout di USA, then that would not disqualify said candidate, because he or she did not have a choice in where the birth took place.

But I find it the heights of slackness for any person who is a sitting MP to acquire citizenship of any other country. What message does that send to the citizens of Jamaica? These are the people, from whatever party, who sit and pass legislation and whatever else they do in parliament (sleep included) who might be making our lives hell by their actions, and for the MP to have the ability to flee to their adopted country when the heat start reach them - slackness!!! Still upset about the fact that they have foreign health insurance, so don't get me started?!?!

It is noted that when asked about it, Shahine's response was that she has a Jamaican passport and a Jamaican driver's licence. Who the hell asked her about that?

We should not wait for the elections to kick these people to the curb. Their nominations should be declared void. They need to step now! I say deport them all to their adopted countries!

And it would be interesting to know what was edited from Comment's previous post. I can bet he was simply making sure that he used the right words in his vain attempt to cloud the issue.
                                What about Jamaicans born abroad?

It would also seem logical for a person born in a foreign country having to to renounce citizenship of that country and possible *acquire citizenship/become a citizen of Jamaica before being nominated to be eligible to become an MP.
                                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                                X