RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trafigura out, Marc Rich back in business!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trafigura out, Marc Rich back in business!

Glencore is Marc Rich!!
    Glencore International AG (formerly called Marc Rich & Co AG) is one of the world's largest suppliers of commodities and raw materials, and is also among the world's largest privately held companies. As of 2006, it was Europe's sixth-largest company in terms of turnover.[1] According to The Sunday Times,[2] the company had USD 4,600,000,000 in shareholders' equity at the end of 2004 and is completely owned by its management.
    With production facilities around the world, Glencore supplies metals, minerals, crude oil, oil products, coal, natural gas and agricultural products to international customers in the automotive, power generation, steel production and food processing industries.
    ==========================================

Trafigura out!

The National Contracts Commission (NCC) has given the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ) the go-ahead to award Glencore Energy UK Limited the contract to trade Nigerian crude oil on behalf of Jamaica on the international market.
    Under the contract, approved on July 25, Glencore will pay the Jamaican Government 25 US cents for every barrel sold, twice what the country was being paid by Trafigura Beheer BV, the Dutch firm that held the contract since 1999.
    The contract, which was automatically renewed annually without competitive tender, came under scrutiny after Opposition Leader Bruce Golding late last year exposed the transfer of $31 million from the Dutch company to a Jamaican bank account linked to the ruling People's National Party (PNP).
    The PNP said the money was a donation for electioneering, but Trafigura later claimed that it was payment on a commercial agreement.
    The issue proved a major embarrassment for the Government and resulted in the resignation of then information and development minister Colin Campbell, who also quit as the PNP's general-secretary.
    But Campbell's resignation was not enough to stem the tide of criticisms levelled at the Government for what was widely regarded as a conflict of interest and an example of the need for legislation to govern political party financing.
    In late February, after soaking up months of damaging criticism, current information minister and PNP general-secretary Donald Buchanan told journalists at a Cabinet news briefing that the money had been returned to Trafigura.
    Buchanan had said that the money was sent to the Dutch firm via an emissary. However, Trafigura, in an e-mail response to an Observer query, said the money was "sent by wire in the appropriate manner via the international banking system".
    Under the terms of the contract with Trafigura, the firm was required to post the necessary US$1-million security bond to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation to lift and market Jamaica's allocation of 30,000 barrels of oil per day and to pay the PCJ 12.5 US cents per barrel of oil lifted.
    Between 2000 and 2006, Jamaica earned approximately US$2.4 million from lifting 32.3 million barrels of crude.

.... but Willi, it is my understanding that Marc Rich has money in Trafigura!!!??? Am I wrong? Seems as if dem simply 'shuffle' and 'deal'.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The math is funny. 32.3m barrels at US 12.5cents should be $4m. At 25cents, that means $8m.

What is funny is that the price of a barrel of crude is about $75, so we looking at $2.4billion worth of oil, so why such a low commission? This amounts to only one third of a percent.

I thought this was given to us at a big discount as a way of providing us with aid.

If the discount was say 5% and we split this with the trading partner (eg Glencore), then our share would be like 2.5% or US$61m!...a far cry from the $2.4m we reportedly received last year. This money, equiv. to $3.5b would more than pay for free tuition and removed health care fees every year with change left over.

Does anyone have any clarity on this????

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. Who negotiated that deal? I wouldn't want them cutting deals on my behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Runawaybay View Post
          I was wondering the same thing. Who negotiated that deal? I wouldn't want them cutting deals on my behalf.

Transparency is lacking.

Comment

Working...
          X