• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new promise every day

A new promise every day
    published: Wednesday | August 1, 2007

Dawn Ritch, Columnist
    The darling of media, Bruce Golding, Opposition Leader, has been making promises left, right and centre. He's even made promises to illegal taxi men.

The press sits back and looks adoringly into his eyes and writes down everything he says. But they rarely bother to investigate the sensibility or logicality of any of it. They just regurgitate it without question.

He was shot at on the campaign trail, but he is seen on television standing calmly behind the campaign vehicle at the time. He is making education free, but parents must still pay. He is givingus fixed election dates in his first 100 days, but a noted constitutional expert says it can't be done.

Some sections of the press are calling for the manifestos of the parties, one of which has just been published. But Golding has already made at least 16 promises publicly, and nobody's bothered to add the cost of that, or examine them in anyway. Nobody, save Dennis Morrison, who writes for another newspaper.

So what's the point of a printed manifesto? Long ago, Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) General Secretary Karl Samuda warned publicly that theirs has over 300 ideas. If the press can't be bothered to examine 16 previous ones thoroughly, why would anybody think we would be interested in looking at 300?

Immaterial policies
    Manifestos are cynical and worthless documents. Policies are immaterial when you have somebody crazed like Omar Davies, P.J. Patterson or Bruce Golding at the wheel. They do what they please, when they please and where they please. Then all policies, legislation and financial constraints fly out the window, along with the manifesto.

Already, some of the things Golding has announced are at variance with the considered position and policies of the JLP itself. Among them are fixed election dates, republican status and constitutional reform. Did anyone ask the central executive or governing body of the JLP to vote on what he's announcing, and reverse themselves? If so, I can't understand why it didn't make headlines.

These are the things that Golding believed in when he founded the National Democratic Movement. But when did they become official policy for the JLP? Sorting out that manifesto must have been a painful task indeed. Good thing it doesn't matter anyway, because nobody can pin the tail on that donkey.

It is not surprising to me that Golding should now make a new promise to the electorate every day. Political indecisiveness and endless promises are two sides of the same coin. Yet everything he says is taken at face value by the press, while remarks from Mrs. Simpson Miller are subjected to the greatest scrutiny.

Why is Golding given such a free ride? Despite mounting evidence that much of what he says makes no sense at all, his subsequent clarifications are dutifully reported by the press without a hint of irony. These clarifications are themselves left unexamined.

Accusation of public conspiracy
    Since it keeps reporting all the promises he dreams up overnight as public policy, the press opens itself to the accusation of fostering a public conspiracy against him. Certainly, they seem determined to kill his political chances by overexposure. Nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising, and this is so particularly in politics.

Bruce Golding has become a flagrantly promiscuous promisor. By the time he has his mass rally in Half-Way Tree, he will have carpeted the country end to end like confetti.

This desperate panic suggests that he'd prepared himself for a five-furlong race. Since it's become a 12-furlong race, he's falling behind, and hopes to close the distance by shouting. This is both pitiful and pathetic.

Nevertheless, media is virtually unanimous that the JLP advertisement 'Nah Change No Course' is an effective and devastating attack upon the People's National Party (PNP). But, the slogan has become a rallying cry for the PNP base all over the island.

If that was their intention, then the JLP ad has been a huge success. But, the objective of political advertising is not usually to encourage the supporters of one's opponent. The effort should destabilise them, not give them a battle cry.
    All of this suggests to me that the press in general understands neither politics nor advertising. They are likely to take the position that if Mrs. Simpson Miller made more promises, she'd get better press coverage.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    A new promise every day
    published: Wednesday | August 1, 2007

Dawn Ritch, Columnist
    The darling of media, Bruce Golding, Opposition Leader, has been making promises left, right and centre. He's even made promises to illegal taxi men.

The press sits back and looks adoringly into his eyes and writes down everything he says. But they rarely bother to investigate the sensibility or logicality of any of it. They just regurgitate it without question.

He was shot at on the campaign trail, but he is seen on television standing calmly behind the campaign vehicle at the time. He is making education free, but parents must still pay. He is givingus fixed election dates in his first 100 days, but a noted constitutional expert says it can't be done.

Some sections of the press are calling for the manifestos of the parties, one of which has just been published. But Golding has already made at least 16 promises publicly, and nobody's bothered to add the cost of that, or examine them in anyway. Nobody, save Dennis Morrison, who writes for another newspaper.

So what's the point of a printed manifesto? Long ago, Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) General Secretary Karl Samuda warned publicly that theirs has over 300 ideas. If the press can't be bothered to examine 16 previous ones thoroughly, why would anybody think we would be interested in looking at 300?

Immaterial policies
    Manifestos are cynical and worthless documents. Policies are immaterial when you have somebody crazed like Omar Davies, P.J. Patterson or Bruce Golding at the wheel. They do what they please, when they please and where they please. Then all policies, legislation and financial constraints fly out the window, along with the manifesto.

Already, some of the things Golding has announced are at variance with the considered position and policies of the JLP itself. Among them are fixed election dates, republican status and constitutional reform. Did anyone ask the central executive or governing body of the JLP to vote on what he's announcing, and reverse themselves? If so, I can't understand why it didn't make headlines.

These are the things that Golding believed in when he founded the National Democratic Movement. But when did they become official policy for the JLP? Sorting out that manifesto must have been a painful task indeed. Good thing it doesn't matter anyway, because nobody can pin the tail on that donkey.

It is not surprising to me that Golding should now make a new promise to the electorate every day. Political indecisiveness and endless promises are two sides of the same coin. Yet everything he says is taken at face value by the press, while remarks from Mrs. Simpson Miller are subjected to the greatest scrutiny.

Why is Golding given such a free ride? Despite mounting evidence that much of what he says makes no sense at all, his subsequent clarifications are dutifully reported by the press without a hint of irony. These clarifications are themselves left unexamined.

Accusation of public conspiracy
    Since it keeps reporting all the promises he dreams up overnight as public policy, the press opens itself to the accusation of fostering a public conspiracy against him. Certainly, they seem determined to kill his political chances by overexposure. Nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising, and this is so particularly in politics.

Bruce Golding has become a flagrantly promiscuous promisor. By the time he has his mass rally in Half-Way Tree, he will have carpeted the country end to end like confetti.

This desperate panic suggests that he'd prepared himself for a five-furlong race. Since it's become a 12-furlong race, he's falling behind, and hopes to close the distance by shouting. This is both pitiful and pathetic.

Nevertheless, media is virtually unanimous that the JLP advertisement 'Nah Change No Course' is an effective and devastating attack upon the People's National Party (PNP). But, the slogan has become a rallying cry for the PNP base all over the island.

If that was their intention, then the JLP ad has been a huge success. But, the objective of political advertising is not usually to encourage the supporters of one's opponent. The effort should destabilise them, not give them a battle cry.
    All of this suggests to me that the press in general understands neither politics nor advertising. They are likely to take the position that if Mrs. Simpson Miller made more promises, she'd get better press coverage.
    Another irrelevant one that needs to start figuring out what she is going to do when Jamaica sheds the dead weight PNP and we get down to serious business.

Comment

Wow, so Roger was correct when he said the JLP has prepared a list of who will lose their work when they take power, kind of like revenge against those who did not support us.

But enlightened me Ben Jammin, does the JLP reach as far as the Gleaner's Board to decide who writes or not.

Should any governmnet decide what comes out in the media, except for the official government propoganda machine that is????

Also wouldnt that be supression of the media and opposition voices, the very bastion of our democracy or you secretly like what you see in Caracas and other places that doesnt not take too kindly to press freedom.

Why am I not surpirsed by this outburst?

I was never a Dawn Ritch fan from long time but I will defend her right to write anything she wants.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
        Wow, so Roger was correct when he said the JLP has prepared a list of who will lose their work when they take power, kind of like revenge against those who did not support us.

But enlightened me Ben Jammin, does the JLP reach as far as the Gleaner's Board to decide who writes or not.

Should any governmnet decide what comes out in the media, except for the official government propoganda machine that is????

Also wouldnt that be supression of the media and opposition voices, the very bastion of our democracy or you secretly like what you see in Caracas and other places that doesnt not take too kindly to press freedom.

I was never a Dawn Ritch fan from long time but I will defend her right to write anything she wants.
        Anybody can write wheh dem waan write.

All treasonous acts will be reviewed and the approprate punishment meted out.

Unnuh tink is 1980 dis.. Wi want REPARATIONS.. 1 year of War Crime Tribunal and neccessary subterranean holding cells prepared.

Comment

Yuh tink is di JLP Roger Clarke haffi worry about ?

If Bruce evah separate di Judiciary mek it run autonomous.. bout 'Cabinet Review Team'. rape ? rape ah di least.. dem ah guh beg fi Christie.. yuh tink JLP have stength fi di reparations demanded ?

JLP haffi shut dem eye and hope seh dem can defend when di spotlight come roun'

Comment

I thought Roger Clarke's choice of words was WRONG and no matter how much he defends and tries to explain it, he was wrong and th sooner he apologises and move on the better for him.

Having said that, it is people who think like you do who gives him credence, desperate people will go to any lengths to get what they want and boy you do sound extremely desperate, wonder what five more years will do to what is left of your mind.

Go consult your 'insiders' and ask them what is going on in western jamaica and see if you like what you hear.

Clean sweep in Hanover and Westmoreland equals five seats, one in trelawny and a minimum two in St James makes it eight that is that is two more than what pertains now then there is St Elizabeth....
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

I think Dawn has some
              very good points here.

Comment

I thought Roger Clarke's choice of words was WRONG and no matter how much he defends and tries to explain it, he was wrong and th sooner he apologises and move on the better for him.

Having said that, it is people who think like you do who gives him credence, desperate people will go to any lengths to get what they want and boy you do sound extremely desperate, wonder what five more years will do to what is left of your mind.

Go consult your 'insiders' and ask them what is going on in western jamaica and see if you like what you hear.

Clean sweep in Hanover and Westmoreland equals five seats, one in trelawny and a minimum two in St James makes it eight that is that is two more than what pertains now then there is St Elizabeth....
                Yuh right bout desperate.. like di slave dem did desperate fi freedom.. like di Jews did desperate fi find the Promised Land... like people did desperate fi Apartheid fi end inna South Africa...

Mi cyaan promise nutting to nuhbaddy after August 27th.. liquour is a hell of a ting.. all yuh can do is apologize.. is nuff Plantation did bun down.. some people ah ASK fi reparations.. certain man better just check on dem vacation home inna South Florida.. mek sure tings in ordah..

Comment

See and this one of
                  the very dangers of the JLP. I know that bruce doesn't believe in development it's all about getting and taking a cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    See and this one of
                    the very dangers of the JLP. I know that bruce doesn't believe in development it's all about getting and taking a cut.
                    Pound a Flesh wi ah come fah..

Yuh tink yuh can rape and pillage fi 18 years and spit in people face and juss walk off into the Sunset...

Tink Again.

This ain't 1980 and is not Eddie a run tings... REPARATIONS wi a deal wid.. bank accounts probed and assets examined..

Bruce bettah just cut loose di Law and Christie dem and step one side because it nah guh pretty.... dem tink is only former Bank Executive haffi live inna exile.. watch di Ride..

Mi si somebaddy almost let out di cat wid di FINSAC reference.. dem tink ti buried and dun..

Heh, heh...

Comment

Gwaan talk cause it seem like yuh nuh
                      know wha ah gwaan.Word out here mongst di well to do (black ones) dem nuh truss yuh party. Anyway mi nah go argue wid yuh. Juss watch di ride.

Comment

Gwaan talk cause it seem like yuh nuh
                        know wha ah gwaan.Word out here mongst di well to do (black ones) dem nuh truss yuh party. Anyway mi nah go argue wid yuh. Juss watch di ride.
                        Dem right nuh fi truss...

Dollyhouse ah guh mash up...

Tell the well to do (black ones) fi mek sure dem nuh haffi join certain people inna Exile...

Comment

Nope they won't the dark
                          days of the 80s are gone. I now it's hard on you guys seeing that the communism excuse can't be used. I can see bold attempts to fabricate others.

Comment

Nope they won't the dark
                            days of the 80s are gone. I now it's hard on you guys seeing that the communism excuse can't be used. I can see bold attempts to fabricate others.
                            You are as irrelevant and outdated as your rhetoric...

Justice and Reparations.. poor people nah guh juss hold 1 Trillion worth of debt juss suh, while yuh criminal friend dem ride off into the sunset...

It nah guh suh... and if Bruce nah inna it, him bettah juss step one side and close him eye dem..

Comment

"subterranean holding cells prepared" - would those be part of the 25,000 houses that Bruce built?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X