Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sickko, it seems that the PNP has its share of boring

campaign speakers too....

Perhaps this is a good thing and will get people to focus on the substantive issues.

Don't change course, Madam PM
    published: Tuesday | July 31, 2007

Vernon Daley
    I enjoy going to political meetings. I find them a great source of entertainment. Last week, I took the opportunity of attending a mass meeting that the People's National Party (PNP) staged in Hanover and I got more than my fair share of laughs.
    Roger Clarke, Minister of Agriculture, is undoubtedly the star of the PNP show at these mass gatherings. The portly candidate for Central Westmoreland knows how to whip his audience into a frenzy.
    Last week, he had comrades in stitches with his jabs at the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] Labour Party (JLP). His quip that the JLP has promised to air-condition all of [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Santa [COLOR=black! important]Cruz[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] if it is elected, continues to be a hit on the campaign trail.
    Dull cast
    It was a splendid performance by the Agriculture Minister, but sadly most of the other members of the PNP main cast, including Portia Simpson Miller, were quite dull.
    Ian Hayles, the candidate for West Hanover, was the only other speaker who made a real connection with the audience there.
    The former JLP man gave a good political speech which was aimed at convincing supporters that he was a genuine Comrade who had strayed but was now back home. I can see him developing into a fine platform speaker or maybe it's just something about youth and freshness that connects with people.
    Dr D.K. Duncan, who is the other PNP candidate running in Hanover, was a positive flop. It's almost as though he was a shadow. He seemed out of place. He didn't have a connection with the audience and they didn't have a connection with him.
    He tried to explain why the PNP is the party of change yet it was not changing course. That was not only mission impossible but it ended up sounding like a political lecture.
    The entire episode was painful. From where I stood, it seemed comrades felt they had been put out of misery at the end of the good dentist's speech.
    Dr Duncan, in recent years, has been an advocate of 'freeing up the political space' in Jamaica and yet he makes the decision to come back into active [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]politics[/COLOR][/COLOR]. I'm not sure what to make of it.
    I wasn't impressed with the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Prime [COLOR=black! important]Minister's[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] performance last week eithe to be fair I'm scarcely ever impressed with the Prime Minister when she addresses these meetings.
    Irresponsible
    She was in a fighting mood when she told comrades that she would be "drawing a line" in relation to peace talks with the JLP.
    The Prime Minister said she would not be having any talks with the JLP leadership unless they were being mediated by the Political Ombudsman or the Church. That did not sound responsible to me and I am glad to see that the JLP has criticised her on the issue.
    Mrs. Simpson Miller is not just the president of the PNP she is also the Prime Minister of all Jamaica and we do not expect her to pick up her marbles if she thinks the game is not going her way.
    She has the ultimate responsibility of ensuring peace and security for this land - not the Church and not the Political Ombudsman.
    She must never give the impression that she would be willing to withdraw from efforts to find a solution to the political violence and bad behaviour that trouble us as a country.
    When it comes to talks about ensuring peace for Jamaica, the Prime Minister should not change course. Vernon Daley is a journalist. Send comments to: vernon.daley@gmail.com.

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    campaign speakers too....

Perhaps this is a good thing and will get people to focus on the substantive issues.

Don't change course, Madam PM
    published: Tuesday | July 31, 2007

Vernon Daley
    I enjoy going to political meetings. I find them a great source of entertainment. Last week, I took the opportunity of attending a mass meeting that the People's National Party (PNP) staged in Hanover and I got more than my fair share of laughs.
    Roger Clarke, Minister of Agriculture, is undoubtedly the star of the PNP show at these mass gatherings. The portly candidate for Central Westmoreland knows how to whip his audience into a frenzy.
    Last week, he had comrades in stitches with his jabs at the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] Labour Party (JLP). His quip that the JLP has promised to air-condition all of [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Santa [COLOR=black! important]Cruz[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] if it is elected, continues to be a hit on the campaign trail.
    Dull cast
    It was a splendid performance by the Agriculture Minister, but sadly most of the other members of the PNP main cast, including Portia Simpson Miller, were quite dull.
    Ian Hayles, the candidate for West Hanover, was the only other speaker who made a real connection with the audience there.
    The former JLP man gave a good political speech which was aimed at convincing supporters that he was a genuine Comrade who had strayed but was now back home. I can see him developing into a fine platform speaker or maybe it's just something about youth and freshness that connects with people.
    Dr D.K. Duncan, who is the other PNP candidate running in Hanover, was a positive flop. It's almost as though he was a shadow. He seemed out of place. He didn't have a connection with the audience and they didn't have a connection with him.
    He tried to explain why the PNP is the party of change yet it was not changing course. That was not only mission impossible but it ended up sounding like a political lecture.
    The entire episode was painful. From where I stood, it seemed comrades felt they had been put out of misery at the end of the good dentist's speech.
    Dr Duncan, in recent years, has been an advocate of 'freeing up the political space' in Jamaica and yet he makes the decision to come back into active [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]politics[/COLOR][/COLOR]. I'm not sure what to make of it.
    I wasn't impressed with the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Prime [COLOR=black! important]Minister's[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] performance last week eithe to be fair I'm scarcely ever impressed with the Prime Minister when she addresses these meetings.
    Irresponsible
    She was in a fighting mood when she told comrades that she would be "drawing a line" in relation to peace talks with the JLP.
    The Prime Minister said she would not be having any talks with the JLP leadership unless they were being mediated by the Political Ombudsman or the Church. That did not sound responsible to me and I am glad to see that the JLP has criticised her on the issue.
    Mrs. Simpson Miller is not just the president of the PNP she is also the Prime Minister of all Jamaica and we do not expect her to pick up her marbles if she thinks the game is not going her way.
    She has the ultimate responsibility of ensuring peace and security for this land - not the Church and not the Political Ombudsman.
    She must never give the impression that she would be willing to withdraw from efforts to find a solution to the political violence and bad behaviour that trouble us as a country.
    When it comes to talks about ensuring peace for Jamaica, the Prime Minister should not change course. Vernon Daley is a journalist. Send comments to: vernon.daley@gmail.com.
    You are not being fair.. Vernon is a journalist, Siccko is.....well..ever been to Coronation Market ?

Comment

and Vernon did not talk about the former Rusea's football player Sheridan 'Worms' Samuels who overstayed his time by at least 15 minutes and said absolutely nothing.

A few colleagues and I were talking afterwards and the consensus was that this was maybe Portia's worst performance on any stage in a long time and she looked tired as if the rigors of the campaugn is wearing her down.

She spoke for an hour and said nothing.

One of the biggest mistakes she made was the long delay between the stop in Hopewell and arrival in Lucea. She did not get to Lucea till after 10pm and did not take the stage till 11:40 which was a BIG MISTAKE by then the people who had gathered since 6pm were very tired.

These politicians should learn from SumFest that they cant have people waiting too long.

In contrast the JLP meetiung in Sav moved quickly with Desmond holding a proverbial whip over the heads of the speakers, reminding them they dont have more than three minutes to give greetings and things ran smoothly, we were out of there by 10:30pm
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Ouch!!

Do bettta dan dat.

Sickko is one a we, whether U agree with him or not.

Comment

25 years and NEVER had to apply for a job in Jamaica, my track record speaks for itself..what is your claim to fame sir?

Last job I left was the Gleaner on October 3rd 2005 and Obctober 4th I had three calls from reputable media houses asking me how soon I can start.

What will you leave behind after your sad tenure on earth has expired??

..and I am just watching the clock and see how soon your boyfriend will chime in...tick tock, tick tock...
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

I dont need Brain Damaged to endorse me...who is he, what is his contribution to the world in which he has lived.

I can bet my next year's salry plus perks that on AT LEAST ONE OCCASION he learned some thing new from some thing I wrote.

Unlike what passes for journalism these days when those who write are vying for the same lime light as those they wrote about, we who came into the profession before the end of the 1980s knows the proper perspective.

Brain Damaged is just bitter and angry but his venom is aimed in the wrong direction, it is not my fault his life has been so empty.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Ouch!!

Do bettta dan dat.

Sickko is one a we, whether U agree with him or not.
              Coronation Market serves a useful purpose !

Comment

Working...
              X