No announcement yet.

With Trump removed mebbe things can get back to "normal":

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLK quickly realized that integration in actuality will lkiely be consrquential to the "black agenda", it was no longer about holding hands together as he encouraged accross the board boycotts.

Comment

I can safely say whatever aspirations you have regarding "black agenda" mirror the time before the civil rights accomplishments-ROCK

We can’t generalize the black agenda before the civil rights era! Before Garvey there was Fredrick Douglas who argued for dual philosophy of resistance and integration. He taxed blacks with the need for self‐reliance; he recalled whites to the justice of racial equality. Freedom would be won by securing to all workers, white or black, the fruit of their labor. Economic progress and enhanced social equality would be achieved by hard work, thrift, education and sobriety. Booker T advocated for a philosophy of self-help, racial solidarity and accommodation. He urged blacks to accept discrimination for the time being and concentrate on elevating themselves through hard work and material prosperity. Garvey was unique in advancing a Pan-African philosophy to inspire a global mass movement and economic empowerment focusing on Africa. The only thing agreed on in the agenda is the need for black upliftment, the route to that goal were many.

As you see the black agenda were many agendas’. I would class myself, as sitting between Douglas and Garvey, I don’t believe we must accommodate anyone, but I believe as an African living in the west, racism must be resisted, not accommodated, Africa and its diaspora needs all the help to empower itself, it doesn’t have to be a global mass movement but through economic partnerships, large, small at home and abroad. If you fuse them together you would get “We want to be Americans, full-fledged Americans, with all the rights of American citizens” W. E. B. Du Bois.The same Dubois who exiled himself to Africa as a communist pan Africanist! and yes America today allows the African to do just that !

I believe Garvey would have supported Obama, he advocated racial pride, uplifting and promoting our heroes. Garvey was an admirer of Booker T.Whose theories of racial accommodation was a failure, segregation increased and lynching’s was at his highest at the time of Booker T death. Obama came about because the accumulation of all these agendas being pushed for the goal of black upliftment, which leads us to one of the biggest pushers, MLK for the African advancement. “I had a dream” is in that context of history, Douglas, Booker T, DuBois, Garvey ,MLK and Malcom.

Marcus Garvey would have no choice but to embrace Obama because the state of the union he was raised in, is that of a different landscape of the America today.It is pursuing the permeable of its constitution “a more perfect union” by various civil right laws, yapping and activism. Obama addressed it with his “A MORE PERFECT UNION SPEECH” when he was president , through his attorney general by blasting the nation as being one of “cowards”, criminal law reform and voter law reform, advocating for a friendlier judiciary. True it happened under one of the worst times in world history “the Recession” and many were disappointed. Anyone expecting his administration to reverse 400 years of overt, sublte, institutionalise racism in 8 years is asking for miracles that not even Jesus would give them, unless they died and went to heaven.

Garvey if he were here today would have to deal with the state of the union to make any determination about support of Obama.To start civil right laws have guaranteed rights and freedoms he didn’t have in his time , lynching’s are nonexistent, the African can vote, the institution for educational advancement are there, better yet the institutions to go back to Africa is there, like it was not in his time, I could go on and on. Yes, we have a far way to go, in terms of poverty, institutionalize racism and incarcerations of the African but to say we made no progress is disingenuous. This isn’t a journey where the goals are achieved over night, if at all, but one that is continuous, forever changing, dynamic. Its best for us to be prepared for it, than rest on ideologies that were for a different social construct at that time.

As for yapping, we better cherish it, there was a time when the slave master banned it ! many died because of it. Many ideas came out of it, some were pursued some were not. To me it all has its place, believe me, some of us get inspired into action because of it. Historic events should be about recalling and learning, the truth is, some of us never do.

I don’t understand what you are saying about MLK and civil rights, he used boycotts and civil action to promote his “I have a dream” you can’t separate MLK from that. If you really want to understand MLK, read the Birmingham letter, read what he says about black radicalism and white church leader’s pacifism, where he saw the ramifications of “inaction”. It applies to the present i.e. Trumpism.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

i see nothing telling me that Garvey's perspective would have been atltered in this grand new age,what I am seeing is everyone of significance embracing Garveyism in the latter stages of their lives.
        Isn't it ironic you are pretty much assuming Garvey would embrace Obama even though he(the then President) refused to answer the plead of a nation to exonerate its national hero( a significant contributor to Afro American cause), posthumously?
        Let us start with in hindsight, would Garvey...?
        Last edited by Rockman; August 21, 2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

So you believe post civil rights laws ,Garvey would still be advocating the seperation of the races !

It is a fact that Garvey stated and based his movement on the belief that European states and that includes America would never give the african the civil rights we have today better yet enforce them !

Hence his agenda, africa for the africans and back to africa. !

Obama refusing to exonerate Garvey only proves he has faults.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Woooooooiiiiieeeeeeee.....

Originally posted by Sir X View Post

Obama refusing to exonerate Garvey only proves he has faults.
            Mi Clavicle!!!!!!!!!!!
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
            X