Lazie, speaking of leadership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
    I am on record to say Portia was NEVER my choice as party president but as one insider told me, she is the best leader to win the election...

Oh ... suh your concern is winning election? After 18 years yuh nuh learn yet?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

*1972- Elected as Member of Parliament for West St Catherine beat Prince Golding 5,184 to 4,291

*1976- Beaten in election in SW St Catherine by Ruddy Lawson 7188 to 5254
      *1983 Won Central St Catherine by default
      *1989 won Central St Catherine seat-beat Vin Edwards 12,062 to 6852
      1997 left to form the NDM
      *1997- Soundly beaten by political neophyte Babsy Grange after being MP for 15 years. 5746 to 3517 (PNP guy 2250)

*2005-Won by-election for West Kingston seat 8503 over Whitter 1181

So in all Bruce won three elections, two in seats where even a dog in green cant lose.

Lets look at the stats a bit here Lazie, Bruce gained a total of 70 votes after being a MP for four years in 1976- Very impressive.

After being MP in Central St Catherine for 15 years his same constituents ran him out of town, certainly he would have done some good in that time or the dunce electorate just bad mind and cant think?

Siccko,

Some facts wrong here. I am from Span Town, so I can talk.

Bruce is from Old Harbour and ran there. Lost to Ruddy, whose kids I know. Ruddy is another Old H. local and former Span Town mayor!!!!

JLP did NOT win Span Town in 1976!!!! Derrick Heaven did.

Bruce was a senator in 1980.

Span town is NOT agarrison as people believe as it is way too big for that. What makes Span Twn green is the middle calss neighbourhoods that are JLP inclined! Enson, Crescent, Hampton Green, etc. See a breakdown of the constituency here:

Electoral Divisions

CRESCENT (16) 13 ENSOM CITY (17) 30 HAMPTON GREEN (18) 21 HOMESTEAD (19) 20 SPANISH TOWN (20) 32 # of Polling Divisions: 116

There are PnP strongholds all over Span Town as well, but the bulk of the votes come from the non-garrison areas.

When Bruce first came to Span Town he was a garrison man, using strongman tactics, Tivoli and Jungle style. Totally unnecessary, as the independent votes would have guaranteed victory.

With his Damuscus conversion, he moved to NDM and eschewed his donman style politics. The reason why he lost was two-fold. One, the independent voters did not want to "waste" their votes on the unwinnable NDM and 2nd, the one-Don sent in the troops from tivoli and wiped out the NDM activists in one fell swoop! Yup, I mean terminate with extreme prejudice!

There was poor Bruce with an empty vessel and terrified supporters. The outcome was inevitable. Many are still angry about the split from the JLP.

Bruce is a complex animal...hard to figure out. A complete Don who has really reformed based on the evidence, but at the same time he seem intemperate.

Comment

That info came from the EOJ web-site....
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Yup,

Convenient source.I also know the boundries have changed a bit, but the core of it is still the same.

Enson, Crescent and Hapton Green deliver the victory. Same people voted for Heaven in 1976 and rejected Vin Lawrence in 1980.

This is one constituency that I know very well.

Comment

Working...
          X