My music friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My music friends

Please school me as to why Vinyl music is better than.....

I am no expert but I will give it a shot...

The short explanation is that vinyl is a truer representation of the original sound because it is analogue. Digital audio is a conversion from analogue and so is something of an approximation. The more compressed the digital format the more detail and range is lost.

However....there are lots of caveats to that. For one , if you are listening on low end equipment the difference won't be apparent. Also, if the original recording was done using digital tools, moving it to vinyl after that likely won't make a difference either.

As to CDs and DVDs, my understanding is that the sound should be superior to vinyl even though it is digital but some audiophiles insist that something is still lost and vinyl sounds better. Even if that is true, question still is if that difference is due to a technical shortfall or just something about vinyl , maybe even a technical flaw, that appeals to the musical part of an audiophiles brain.
    Last edited by Islandman; January 14, 2017, 01:09 PM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Clarity.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Islandman up deh!

Comment

The problem with Vinyl is it can diminish over time. It have to be properly kept.

I think it has to do with digital technology, As I-man says the older music had a more human feel, new music is mostly digital, beat is constant and harmony etc is split rather than live in most case. I don't think it is really the "vinyl" itself but the music on the vinyl.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Islandman, excellent, any layman should be able to savvy your explanation, I will borrow this to post on FB.

Comment

I know u can give a more detail explanation.

Comment

Its the clearest form of musical expression on a compressed format.Digital isnt in its class.My uncle had an ole hits party and it was vinyl , the people were amazed and all voiced the clarity of musical expression.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yeah, and I also think that experience of working with turntables is not the same as dealing with a laptop. Old time selectors miss that.

You know this Macka B tune "Never Played A 45" , he explains it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HucOdgey9NE
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Seeing the dread set up with my uncle , carrying crates , brought back memories.

The vibe was unreal and surreal

Comment

Working...
                    X