Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The movie: HIDDEN FIGURES

It is a must see!
    I saw it last night and shall have a second viewing.

It is a must see. The question I asked myself is, what is the magnitude of facts on ourselves that are there yet to enter my conscious thoughts?

This movie is a must see as it asks all men to think on contributions to our steps forward by the races and to specifically zero in on my race's contributions. It is of particular significance as the still ever present scourge of racism is given new life through the instrument of the current 'Trump phenomenon'.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    It is a must see!
    I saw it last night and shall have a second viewing.

It is a must see. The question I asked myself is, what is the magnitude of facts on ourselves that are there yet to enter my conscious thoughts?

This movie is a must see as it asks all men to think on contributions to our steps forward by the races and to specifically zero in on my race's contributions. It is of particular significance as the still ever present scourge of racism is given new life through the instrument of the current 'Trump phenomenon'.
    Saw it last night, very good! I really liked that the storyline was straightforward enough for my 10 year old daughter to get it.

Yes these are the stories that are in danger of being lost to history. It's one of the frustrations I have had, too much emphasis on the handful of icons who were one in a generation type of personalities and not enough on the quiet warriors fighting on the battlefields every day and whose accomplishments large numbers of us are capable of emulating.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Agreed a 1000 %
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Hail Islandman. Let me point out one of the things that gave me the most hope. At one point, with a lot including his life on the line, astronaut John Glenn asked if they had conferred with the black woman. When they said no, he said he aint doing **** without having the knowledge and confidence of her input. And when there was equipment failure in orbit, she made adjustments on the fly....but they were carefully thought out.

It is a shame that stories like these were not known to the American people for so many decades.

I still see and experience this kind of stuff in this modern day and age. And some would rather let a program fail than bring in a person who they have sidelined for prejudice and jealousy for a long time.
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          The question I asked myself is, what is the magnitude of facts on ourselves that are there yet to enter my conscious thoughts?
          Are you wondering how much more is out there about ourselves, black people's accomplishments, that we don't know about?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Your last paragraph,speaks to our president Obama.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Alice Augusta Ball, a pharmaceutical chemist, was born in Seattle, Washington in 1892 to Laura and James P. Ball, Jr. Her grandfather was J.P. Ball, the well known daguerreotype photographer and her father was a promising lawyer. James P. Ball, Sr. moved to Hawaii for health reasons in 1903 with his family and opened a studio. He died less than a year later and the family returned to Seattle in 1905. - See more at: http://www.blackpast.org/aaw/ball-al....I4AMqbba.dpuf

Ball’s major adviser assigned her a research project involving the effect of chaulmooga oil on patients with Hansen disease. Her research developed a successful treatment for those suffering from the disease. At the time of her research Ball became ill. She worked under extreme pressure to produce injectable chaulmooga oil and, according to some observers, became exhausted in the process. Ball returned to Seattle and died at the age of 24 on December 31, 1916. The cause of her death was unknown. - See more at: http://www.blackpast.org/aaw/ball-al....I4AMqbba.dpuf

Overcoming the dual hurdles of racial and gender bias, Marie Maynard Daly (1921–2003) conducted important studies on cholesterol, sugars, and proteins. In addition to her research, she was committed to developing programs to increase the enrollment of minority students in medical school and graduate science programs.
              Daly's early research included studies of the effects of cholesterol on the mechanics of the heart, the effects of sugars and other nutrients on the health of arteries, and the breakdown of the circulatory system as a result of advanced age or hypertension. Later she studied how proteins are produced and organized in the cell.
              https://www.chemheritage.org/histori...e-maynard-daly

Among many firsts, Patricia Bath is the first African American to complete a residency in ophthalmology and the first African-American female doctor to receive a medical patent. She invented the Laserphaco Probe for cataract treatment in 1986.

Synopsis

Born in Harlem, New York, on November 4, 1942, Patricia Bath became the first African American to complete a residency in ophthalmology in 1973. Two years later, she became the first female faculty member in the Department of Ophthalmology at UCLA's Jules Stein Eye Institute. In 1976, Bath co-founded the American Institute for the Prevention of Blindness, which established that "eyesight is a basic human right." In 1986, Bath invented the Laserphaco Probe, improving treatment for cataract patients. She patented the device in 1988, becoming the first African-American female doctor to receive a medical patent.
              http://www.biography.com/people/patricia-bath-21038525

Valerie Thomas is an African-American scientist and inventor best known for her patented illusion transmitter and contributions to NASA research.

Synopsis

Valerie Thomas was born in May 1943 in Maryland. Thomas's interest in math and science were not encouraged until her college years. After graduating with a degree in chemistry, Thomas accepted a position at NASA. She remained there until her retirement in 1995. During that time, Thomas received a patent for an illusion transmitter and contributed broadly to the organization's research efforts.
              http://www.biography.com/people/vale...smitter-patent

Shirley Ann Jackson, born in 1946 in Washington, D.C., has achieved numerous firsts for African American women. She was the first black woman to earn a Ph.D. from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.); to receive a Ph.D. in theoretical solid state physics; to be elected president and then chairman of the board of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS); to be president of a major research university, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York; and to be elected to the National Academy of Engineering. Jackson was also both the first African American and the first woman to chair the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. - See more at: http://www.blackpast.org/aah/jackson....kXdamTZD.dpuf

Mae C. Jemison is the first African-American female astronaut. In 1992, she flew into space aboard the Endeavour, becoming the first African-American woman in space.

“I'd love to go into space again if there were a mission to Mars. I'd also love to go to a completely different planetary system out of our solar system.”
              —Mae C. Jemison

Mae Jemison - Mini Biography (TV-14; 2:23) A short biography of Mae Jemison, who became the first African American woman in space when she thrust into orbit on the shuttle Endeavour in 1992.
              Synopsis

Mae C. Jemison was born on October 17, 1956, in Decatur, Alabama. On June 4, 1987, she became the first African-American woman to be admitted into the astronaut training program. On September 12, 1992, Jemison finally flew into space with six other astronauts aboard the Endeavour on mission STS47, becoming the first African-American woman in space. In recognition of her accomplishments, Jemison has received several awards and honorary doctorates.
              http://www.biography.com/people/mae-c-jemison-9542378
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Are you wondering how much more is out there about ourselves, black people's accomplishments, that we don't know about?
                Not merely wondering but the vast numbers that must be out there of which I know not!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                X