Well, well it was just yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, well it was just yesterday

that I dropped a dollar on some guys drumming (in Times square). Hey I like drumming. I notice in NY that most drums are Senegalese drums (I was taught the differnce by a Ghanian phd). It would be interesting to note what kind is used in JA. I would like to know where this Kumina group performs in JA. I would spend just to be there. I once saw a Poco group and I begged them to tell me where they were going. One the guy was ashamed of being called Poco (I found that silly) he told me he was revival. I really would like to see them drum, with head wrap, pencil and all. Read on:

Daraine Luton, Staff Reporter

This woman, with eyes wide open, was one of at least three persons who became possessed at a PNP rally in Morant Bay, St. Thomas, after a kumina group performed a cultural rendition.
    People's National Party (PNP) supporters in St. Thomas on Wednesday night called on the spirits of their ancestors to deliver election victory for the party.
    In what some onlookers said was just a taste of their drumming and singing prowess, members of the Lyssons kumina group engaged hundreds of party faithful in a PNP-flavoured ancestral ritual.
    "It a guh bun him belly oh; Bruce neva know seh Portia a guh bun him belly oh," the group sang.
    And the reception among the comrades was wild.
    'Rally Portia'
    The kumina group also delivered a song which seemed to be from the top drawer: "di whole a wi a rally Portia".
    Again, the only thing that did not move was Paul Bogle's statue, the burnt-out courthouse behind him, and other lifeless objects.
    But the kumina in Paul Bogle square was more than drumming and singing. At least three persons fell into trances and exorcism rites had to be performed to rid them of 'spirits' that entered their bodies.
    Kumina is both a religion and dance that has been retained from the African heritage. It is kept alive in St. Thomas by people who drum and dance while speaking the Bantu language of theCongo.
    Bringing down spirits
    It is the practice of bringing down spirits of the dead to briefly inhabit the bodies of the faithful.
    St. Thomas is often referred to as 'the obeah parish' because of many legends of strong beliefs in ancestral and supernatural spirits.
    On Wednesday night, the kumina group had two stints on stage. The first seemed to have been structured in the programme, but the second was used to pass time. It was already 8:30 p.m. and PNP president Portia Simpson Miller was still touring sections of the parish.
    Three women possessed
    As the group sang and danced, 'spirits' moved through the crowd and lodged themselves in the bodies of three women. Two of them were expertly controlled and danced out of their possession, while another ripped hair accessories from her head and stood looking with eyes wide open into the skies.
    She then attempted to make a run through the crowd and had to be restrained.
    In performing exorcism rites, the kumina group continued the singing and dancing, while others danced the possessed persons out of the trance.
    All this time, however, the language of the singers could not be discerned. One elderly man told The Gleaner this was important as they cannot call any name as the rite would be unsuccessful.
    When the spirits were released, the singers interpreted for the audience.
    "Bruce Golding, where are you going?" they chanted.
    "Pack up, pack up."
    They continued: "Yuh wrong fi trouble Portia, yuh wrong."
    There are two parliamentary seats in St. Thomas. East St. Thomas is currently represented by the PNP's Dr. Fenton Ferguson, who is being challenged by the JLP's Omer Thomas. The other seat, West St. Thomas, is held by the JLP's James Robertson who will have to fend off a challenge from the PNP's Rosemarie Shaw.

BTW You know what's cool? To hear the local Jakans speaking a languaage from the Congo (although being disconnected for hundreds of years). There is so much that island has to offer. aah such a pity.
    Last edited by Jawge; July 20, 2007, 11:16 AM.

G,

Think it over before U go, think it over before U walk away and leave us here to, jump revival in a lonely wa ona a POCOMANIA day.

LoL

Comment

I have already decided
      no turning back praise tha lord, no turning back. he he he LOL. Hope you
      enjoy your weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        I have already decided
        no turning back praise tha lord, no turning back. he he he LOL. Hope you
        enjoy your weekend.
        Thanks...same to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          G,

Think it over before U go, think it over before U walk away and leave us here to, jump revival in a lonely wa ona a POCOMANIA day.

LoL

Sing it Willi
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
          X