Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting times

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...bs-hospitality

We need to fight for these job and the government need to limit the amount of spanish workers in these areas.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...bs-hospitality

We need to fight for these job and the government need to limit the amount of spanish workers in these areas.
    Yes, I have seen an increase in Brazilian and Spanish type entertainment over the years.

Maybe the local entertainment could use some freshening up?...?
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I don't think that is the case and in some case the spanish are learning from the locals but when a man own and you allow them to do things they will. The talent is here but the spanish hoteliers are using spanish workers. Maybe they trust them more but it has nothing to do with quality entertainment. Check the top quality hotels such as Sandals, what use to be Jamaica Grande, Halfmoon etc.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't think that is the case and in some case the spanish are learning from the locals but when a man own and you allow them to do things they will. The talent is here but the spanish hoteliers are using spanish workers. Maybe they trust them more but it has nothing to do with quality entertainment. Check the top quality hotels such as Sandals, what use to be Jamaica Grande, Halfmoon etc.
        Yeah, I agree with your view.

HL

Comment

So I visited Cuba a couple of weeks ago and again I was impressed with the hotel workers speaking 3 & 4 languages. I've visited many Caribbean islands and I can unbiasly state that Jamaica has the best tourism product there is. Unfortunately we are barely tapping into what we have. The biggest detractor to our product is the aggressive harassment by the locals.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Do you know where they learn to speak 3 & 4 languages?
            Peter R

Comment

They need to have the tourist money benefit the community directly, so that the communities defend the industry.

Comment

Russian Italian and German

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  So I visited Cuba a couple of weeks ago and again I was impressed with the hotel workers speaking 3 & 4 languages. I've visited many Caribbean islands and I can unbiasly state that Jamaica has the best tourism product there is. Unfortunately we are barely tapping into what we have. The biggest detractor to our product is the aggressive harassment by the locals.
                  Your last sentence is the key.

HL

Comment

Interesting!

I'll visit next year. Can't wait!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The talent is here but the spanish hoteliers are using spanish workers. Maybe they trust them more but it has nothing to do with quality entertainment. Check the top quality hotels such as Sandals, what use to be Jamaica Grande, Halfmoon etc.
                      Check them for what?

Aside: I read the newspaper article referenced and saw how 'smooth' the hotel spokesperson delivered or as was reported. However if the %age shift in local to foreign employment of entertainers is even close to 75:25 ratio then that is a huge local problem. Above 5% foreigners is grave!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Totally agree, especially in a country that has such a strong tradition of music and culture which is internationally known.

Why on earth should Brazilian singers and dancers be working in a Jamaican hotel. I would understand a calypsonian or two from the Eastern Caribbean but not an influx of Spanish entertainers.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

They learn these languages in colleges. The biggest percentage of their tourists comes from Canada, then UK, France, Germany and Italy, which is similar to the Dominica Republic. Many of the workers are fluent in about 3 languages including French and German. In Cuba, education and health are "free". The population is generally educated up to the secondary level, but according to my tour guide, who held several management position prior, if you meet the grades, then you are placed in a raffle to get one of the 12 of over 600 spots to enter college. I heard that an attorney makes only US$45 per month. Everyone said that the best job in Cuba is in the tourist industry because of the tips. The "lifeguard" on the beach is making more than a doctor or any other professional.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                            Totally agree, especially in a country that has such a strong tradition of music and culture which is internationally known.

Why on earth should Brazilian singers and dancers be working in a Jamaican hotel. I would understand a calypsonian or two from the Eastern Caribbean but not an influx of Spanish entertainers.
                            Agree. Absolutely no reason for that. Again the idiot likki likki Jamaican politicians will allow anything. We are open for business. Full recolonization through unbridled tourism.

Comment

Again I said tourism must be taught in schools. It doesn't cost a whole lot, you just have to change a few things to reflect the tourism reality.

Mi dun talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X