No announcement yet.

Nile Rodgers (and CHIC): I really miss Historian:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion, he's ranked even higher than those persons you named.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because he's associated with disco why he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

He's a living legend!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

He has a signature lead guitar sound. I thought it was him on Bruno Mars Uptown Funk.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yes I think the disco connection works against him To some extent, but it made him a whole lot of money!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

His music created Hip Hop
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Yes I think the disco connection works against him To some extent, but it made him a whole lot of money!
            It's his musical range and scope that's is incredible. Diana Ross, David Bowie, Duran Duran and renounced artists like these that he has placed on the map with #1 hit songs.

I actually agree with Mosiah that Rodgers may be above Mayfield and Hayes in overall musical achievements.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I think it made hip hop cross the colour line, but created it...? That would be a stretch, in my view.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And nuh matter how we try to denigrate disco, it continues to thrive! Disco lovers need not hang their (my) heads in embarrassment. I am sure Nile embraces that part of his history, even as he surreptitiously brings it back!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not as an innovator ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I'm sure you meant "renowned"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      I'm sure you meant "renowned"
                      Yes...RENOWNED:
                      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Some may disagree with that.

As a cultural icon and music innovator, Nile Rodgers transcends all styles of music across every generation. From "Good Times" to "Get Lucky," Rodgers' unrivaled track record is a mere glimpse of what's yet to come.
                        http://www.nilerodgers.com/about/biography

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

JAMAICAN DANCEHALL MUSIC & CULTURE gave birth to AMERICAN RAP MUSIC & HIP HOP CULTURE.......Some may say early rap exhibited influences from scatting (Jazz) & Cab Callaway's "calling & answering" style & interaction with the crowd, BUT Jamaican Dancehall has its fingerprints all over Rap & Hip Hop culture.

Comment

Disco music & the artists producing the music would CRUSH anything they have today.......You don't need to sing, play an instrument & read music to be called an ARTIST today.

Comment

We know THAT....

Comment

Wasn't the primary weakness in disco the lyrical content, not the arrangement?

Some of those disco songs were quite creative musically. There should be no shame in the work at all.

"Turn the Beat Around"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibSfptSkGk

"This is It" - One of my favorite disco songs, written and produced by the great Van McCoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag8-rVxE5tc

I have always been a big Melba Moore fan whatever the genre.
                                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                                X