No announcement yet.

Negril in Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benson you've identified the sad truth we have to change...

There is no better industry right now for many kids who have between 2-5 CXC subjects and get a trade and further develop themselves

As long as this continues we'll be backward

Time for a move to change this calamity
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      But Benson nuhbaddy ah tell yuh fi shut down tourism. Mi tell yuh seh dat mi support it fi continue. Wha more yuh want????

BUT...Mi tell seh If tourism continues to be Jamaica's "leading industry" into the future....JA will NOT be transformed into a developed nation. Serving fat tourists won't lead us to prosperity

WHY??

JA tourism is primarily low skill, low wage & low value adding. Consequently it CANNOT be a big driver for the economic transformation we should be seeking.

We have different perspectives. You are looking to plod along doing the same things we've being doing since the 1950s....but trying to do them better i.e. trying to create better servants thru more training. There's a place for that

My ting is to support a 21st century oriented economy. That means training kids to be creators of products thru science & technology.

If you look at countries that are leading the world...it is knowledge & technology industries that primarily drive their progress. It look like yuh nuh know dat

Now Benson if yuh cyaan undastand dat....mi cyaan help yuh
      You cannot be any clearer
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        You cannot be any clearer
        Sass is a good, sincere yute

But mi juss like pull im strings til im get all emotional & hot unda di collar...

Ah juss likkle Rum Bar jivin'

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Funny when I went to high school in Jamaica you had to take Spanish.

Comment

Yes, we all took Spanish but not many of us could carry on a conversation in Spanish even after passing at O Level. If I had not done a course in Conversational Spanish after I left high school I would have been much worse than I am now.

I think we teach Spanish in Jamaica to enable the students to pass the exam, not speak the language. I think CXC should do something about this.

But I must repeat my view that we will be better Spanish and English speakers if we treat them both as second and third languages.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I remember doing a oral exam in basic French when I was at HEART. The instructor asked me if I use to do Spanish and smiled. I knew why, I got the written part and knew what word it was but I was confused as words may look similar but the pronouncement was totally different.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How exactly does one "teach tourism"??? I suppose you mean having instruction in the main functional opportunities in the sector?

Let's examine what the overwhelming majority of jobs are in this super industry

Apparently in this 21st Century our secondary schools should be teaching students how to be:

Maids
                Waiters
                Butlers
                Tour Guides
                Playmates
                Receptionists
                Cooks
                JUTA & taxi drivers
                Security guards
                Gardeners
                Trinket sellers
                Attraction ticket agents
                Assorted cleaners & garbage processors
                Rent-a-Dreads & Prostitutes (Spanish-speakers please...Ooooh Papi!! Gwaan bubble!!! Yuh muy caliente!!! woooiiee mi spleen!! )

This dystopian vision of Jamaica is coming from Sass.... a fine representative of the Jamaican "educated class"...Further burnished & blessed with Seedless GrapeLand exposure

If his privileged class is so backward as indicated...the country has zero hope to be transformed into something worthy of this century
                Totally agree Don.

Comment

Rent-a-Dreads & Prostitutes (Spanish-speakers please...Ooooh Papi!! Gwaan bubble!!! Yuh muy caliente!!! woooiiee mi spleen!! )
                  Dat sound like some personal recollection ting. Maybe you could become an instructor in tourism. DonUno!

(Probably wasn't yuh spleen yuh was a bawl ova needah.)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Dat sound like some personal recollection ting. Maybe you could become an instructor in tourism. DonUno!

(Probably wasn't yuh spleen yuh was a bawl ova needah.)
                    LOL!

Comment

Yes my perspectives are absolutely not "normal". That's because they're ruthlessly analytical, aimed at maximum progress.... and grounded in 21st Century reality. Those are not traits normal to most Jamaicans' point of view

Ok assist me since you're the "tourism expert"....How would you have our secondary schools "teach tourism"???

What would be the subjects??? How to clean rooms? How to serve tourists food?? How to calculate a proper tip?? The best way to smile for fat tourists?? How to guide Babylon dem up Dunns River???

Woooiiieeee mi clavicle!!!!!!!
                      I agree with you Don. I am trying to find out what a "Tourism Curriculum" in a Jamaican context would look like.

Comment

Mi neither. ..Sass muss educate wi pon dat. Don't know if he would agree with my suggestions

Comment

IMO, if I could put in my quatty wort', it would/could/should be an offshoot of a business/entrepreneurial studies programme.
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            Next time you open your mouth think before you start

https://sha.cornell.edu/

http://www.thebestschools.org/blog/2...united-states/

http://www.canadian-universities.net...d_Tourism.html

Top Universities are offering courses. UTECH and UWI have programs. You think they are training butlers and touts? You train people so they can actually have skills and knowledge so they are better able to take advantages and have careers, not to be touts and Butlers.

On one hand you have nothing against tourism but then embarrass yourself. Gwaan talk.
                            Yes but what's the point in getting qualified when the racist hotel owners are simply going to overlook a qualified Jamaican and bring in a dunce from Spain, Germany, England, France etc whose only qualification was being a butler or beach-chair manager in Monaco, to become general manager of the property in Janaica. The Jamaican with the "tourism degree" gets the job as housekeeping supervisor or reservation clerk. Which self respecting Jamaican with any brains would want to be subjected to that.

Comment

""tourism degree" gets the job as housekeeping supervisor or reservation clerk. "

Not True, show me one case of Jamaican with a degree been house keeping supervisor or a reservation clerk. That is not factual.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Say you could train 1000 Jamaicans/year with a "tourism degree"....what exactly would we do with such folks? There are maybe a few hundred managers in that industry. Di hotel worker dem need degree fi cook or clean up afta Babylon? Or drive dem round di place and sell dem trinkets?

Plus when Bartlett gets tourism to be "taught" in JA secondary schools like you suggested...... What tourism subjects do you suggest be taught?

You mentioned a "French oral exam" you did in your industry studies. Dat oral course sound perfect fi di upcoming Rent-a-Dread cohort

Wooooiiiieeee mi epiglottis!
                                Last edited by Don1; April 6, 2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X