Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negril in Need

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...workforce-says

Despite the resort town being in proximity to high schools such as Rusea's, Green Island and Rhodes Hall in Hanover; as well as Manning's, Little London and Godfrey Stewart in Westmoreland, there appears to be very little effort being made to prepare students to fill the job opportunities being made available in tourism.

"One of the problems we have is that 600 rooms will be coming on stream, and some of these properties in Negril are Spanish-owned, and they would like to have, at least in the middle-management, Spanish-speaking people," said Grizzle. "You have Rusea's High School, you have Green Island High School (in Hanover) ... . What are we, as a country, doing to prepare those kids?"

As I said Tourism must be taught in school.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

See a curriculum here... can be modified to tailor to local needs:

See pg 163.
    http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curricu...cws11and12.pdf
    Peter R

Comment

Thanks Peter. I know Canada is big on Tourism Education. I can remember some of my friends from HEART went on scholarship to George Brown University and we hosting a lot of Canadian dignitaries in government and tourism industry.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...workforce-says

Despite the resort town being in proximity to high schools such as Rusea's, Green Island and Rhodes Hall in Hanover; as well as Manning's, Little London and Godfrey Stewart in Westmoreland, there appears to be very little effort being made to prepare students to fill the job opportunities being made available in tourism.

"One of the problems we have is that 600 rooms will be coming on stream, and some of these properties in Negril are Spanish-owned, and they would like to have, at least in the middle-management, Spanish-speaking people," said Grizzle. "You have Rusea's High School, you have Green Island High School (in Hanover) ... . What are we, as a country, doing to prepare those kids?"

Hmmm...if we only treated our second language (English) as a second language, maybe we can get our students to learn another language like Spanish.

Sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          I have always thought that due our geographical location, Spanish should become our third language. It just makes a lot of sense. I have a CXC pass in Spanish but can only speak a few words. The emphasis should be placed on conversational spanish. Learning the formal language is not much of a benefit to anyone who sees it as a second language. Most of the hispanics here (US) can barely communicate in formal spanish plus there are many variations to the language due to nationalities.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Changing minds, one post at a time.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The populace's weakness in the utilization of the 'second language' is a reflection of the working environment for the majority of Jamaicans..

It does not require a good command of the English Language.. how much English yuh need to know to be functional on the receiving side of a Western Union teller window ?

Comment

Gwaan Benson!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                [url]
                How exactly does one "teach tourism"??? I suppose you mean having instruction in the main functional opportunities in the sector?

Let's examine what the overwhelming majority of jobs are in this super industry

Apparently in this 21st Century our secondary schools should be teaching students how to be:

Maids
                Waiters
                Butlers
                Tour Guides
                Playmates
                Receptionists
                Cooks
                JUTA & taxi drivers
                Security guards
                Gardeners
                Trinket sellers
                Attraction ticket agents
                Assorted cleaners & garbage processors
                Rent-a-Dreads & Prostitutes (Spanish-speakers please...Ooooh Papi!! Gwaan bubble!!! Yuh muy caliente!!! woooiiee mi spleen!! )

This dystopian vision of Jamaica is coming from Sass.... a fine representative of the Jamaican "educated class"...Further burnished & blessed with Seedless GrapeLand exposure

If his privileged class is so backward as indicated...the country has zero hope to be transformed into something worthy of this century
                Last edited by Don1; March 30, 2016, 08:56 PM.
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

go on and nuh stop.

The crap you spew is not normal

Some knowledge in the area of tourism would help you.

Comment

Yes my perspectives are absolutely not "normal". That's because they're ruthlessly analytical, aimed at maximum progress.... and grounded in 21st Century reality. Those are not traits normal to most Jamaicans' point of view

Ok assist me since you're the "tourism expert"....How would you have our secondary schools "teach tourism"???

What would be the subjects??? How to clean rooms? How to serve tourists food?? How to calculate a proper tip?? The best way to smile for fat tourists?? How to guide Babylon dem up Dunns River???

Woooiiieeee mi clavicle!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by Don1; March 30, 2016, 08:44 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Do they have waiters and servers and cooks and cleaners etc in Merica ?

Who pick di seedless grapes fi yuh buy a supamaket ?

It can be a matriculation process:

http://www.eduquest.com.sg/en/11400-...d-fnb-workers/

Nuhbaddy seh yuh haffi mek drinks wid umbrella all yuh life..

Comment

LOL!

Sass suggested JA should "teach tourism" in schools....and introduced an article mentioning high schools in the Negril zone

"Teaching tourism" in our secondary schools would be ridiculous & backward. This would suit JA ONLY if we have very low expectations. The main job opportunities in that industry are low wage, low skill & low value adding.

That has no place in a 21st Century secondary school system

What JA should and does do is what your link suggests....post secondary vocational training in that field. The JA version is run via HEART...that's appropriate. Placing this in secondary schools is backward thinking

The Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) has more than tripled the training capacity for the tourism and food and beverage workforce.

More than 11,400 training places are now available, up from 3,700 in 2011.

Training will be offered at 10 Continuing Education and Training (CET) centres, which include five newly-appointed ones.
                        The reform needed in secondary schools is early intro to software programming (i.e. 21st century literacy) and pathways to achieve certification in industry standard applications e. g. Microsoft or HP Tech Associate. Back dat up wid entrepreneurship training in HS an' wi kriss. Mek di yute dem learn fi use dem wizzy fi create products and start dem owna bizniz...FROM HIGH SCHOOL

Local CXC certificates are relatively valueless in a globalized world

Back dat up wid a nationwide rollout of software & robotics HS competitions...THEN WE MAY GENERATE A 21ST CENTURY READY WORKFORCE COHORT.

Then we could attract appropriate high value adding investment....then JA has a shot at real 21st Century progress. Dats how di ting fi werk

But if yuh inna dat room cleanin', security guardin', taxi drivin', gardenin', trinket sellin' ting inna wi high skool dem...GWAAN BEN!!!
                        Last edited by Don1; March 30, 2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Innah dat ?

It is a current REALITY that the current day-care centers (that you call schools) are currently spitting out unemployable product.. Until you put yuh robot dem in every school..Yuh bettah find a way to mop up/ rapid transition dat and offer opportunities to upgrade.. dem can learn robot part time while dem mixing dockery !

Hospitality Industry in Jamaica nuh START yet suh careful how you quick to denounce education efforts (even at the High School level)

6th Form count as High School ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                            Innah dat ?

It is a current REALITY that the current day-care centers (that you call schools) are currently spitting out unemployable product.. Until you put yuh robot dem in every school..Yuh bettah find a way to mop up/ rapid transition dat and offer opportunities to upgrade.. dem can learn robot part time while dem mixing dockery !

Hospitality Industry in Jamaica nuh START yet suh careful how you quick to denounce education efforts (even at the High School level)

6th Form count as High School ?

The best way to "mop up" dat failing cohort is thru technology. Access is fast, cheap & infinitely scalable. Plus if yuh notice how people love dem tech gadgets...the interest is there

The best Yard example is in telephony. JA missed the boat with nationwide fixed lines just as we missed the boat in nationwide modern education. What was the telephony cure??

Cure = Figget bout building a lumbering, ubiquitous fixed net...jump a couple of generations...and build fast, cheap, scalable mobile nets with VASTLY more value-adding applications. Mission accomplished within 7 years

JA should do the same in education....use tech apps to jump a couple of generations...and engage more disenfranchised people in modern education applications...within 10 years. Nuff proven model dehdeh fi penetrate

Time for likkle intelligence and out-of-the-box thinking in education. Not time to double down on trying to perfect backward mid-20th Century models that passed us by decades ago

Comment

Yuh still stuck in yuh mutually exclusive mentality..

Comment

Working...
                              X