X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sobering figures on GDP growth in the developing world

and Jamaica's lack thereof.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/f...MKOEk.facebook
    Did you know that since 1995, real GDP in the developing world has increased by an average 4.7 per cent per year across the entire developing world? And that real income has increased by 90 per cent since 1994? Growth in the developing world has been extraordinary over the last few decades. "Economic growth has changed from being the exception to the predominant rule," says The Growth Surge. Some 4.6 billion people live in developing countries where growth has exceeded two per cent a year since the mid-1990s.

Hear this: Between 1977 and 1994, 51 developing countries recorded negative growth. However, since 1995, only 10 countries - only 10 - have recorded negative growth. You know which country is one of the 10? Yes, Jamaica. The others are Burundi, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Gabon, Guinea-Bissau, Madagascar, Haiti and Zimbabwe . Me feel shame.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Shake my head and lament about not just poor leadership but not even a fundamental understanding of what it will take to kick this economy into gear and unleash the competitive energy inside the Jamaican people. Then again so many of us left I really wonder if we really can shake our head and say anything!! Very tough to watch!! You know the worse part of the poor progress is watching the culture devolve into a crude materialistic and indisciplined society, this more than anything is eating away at any chance of developing into a sustainable high growth, no medium growth economy!!
    Last edited by Stonigut; March 13, 2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

How long have I been talking about growth. It should be first thought on our politician and entrepreneur mind. Government can legislate how the spoils are divided but there is no reason for us to go 20 years with negative growth.

Most of the stats you look on is depressing, whether it is the dollarr, this one , productivity, etc.
      Last edited by Assasin; March 13, 2016, 01:00 PM.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I see that other popular icon on this forum, Robert Mugabe has done great things for his people as well.

Now, after destroying the Zimbabwe economy with his reckless and lawless approach to land reform, he decides to bow to the IMF and sets up a US$ 10 billion fund to compensate them.

http://www.theafricareport.com/South...e-farmers.html
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Mugabe was the worst thing that could have happened to Zimbabwe, can you imagine if he kept his original commitment to the white farmers and develop programs to train the shona and others and work quietly and steadily on education and land reform for the best and most promising they would be in a totally different situation today. Truth is when he said those things at the start it was just pure lip he had no plan and no game, now millions of acres of good arable land are out of priduction and in ruinate stage, all the equipment, knowledge, years of work gone forever!!!

Comment

You can't grow if you squabbling over your share of the diminishing take.

Comment

rightly so.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That's how I see it too but that's not a popular viewpoint around here where outcomes are often less important than optics.

Comment

Yeah that's how it go wid football too style versus substance. What man an man doan realize is when you don't have the technology and knowledge and you want to grow then you have fi compromise otherwise you just doing the crab barrel dance, nothing in the barrel and nobody getting out.

Now they have nothing, whites gone, technology and knowledge of large-scale farming of certain crops all gone, pure longhand at the side and people cotch pon rock or sitting on ground staring at each other wid nothing fi do.
                  Real growth and advancement nobody looking at optics everybody trying to get ahead anything that no nail down gone see Chinese stealing every piece of tech knowledge in sight while we worried bout optics!!!

Comment

What PJ called the fight for scarce benefits and spoils by hostile tribes....immortalized by Mutty Perkins

Comment

We have to learn to disagree and know that even when you can't see how a man plan can work, doesn't mean that it won't work.

The forum can be a great learning tool if we all don't know too much.

We may not all express ourselves great all times and laugh at each other mistakes (and God know we have made enough to go around) but there is a lot to be learned.

Comment

Ah, Sass, please don't preach about growth because the other day you wasted a few days well trying to convince the Forum that GDP growth was not a main indicator of growth. No?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Iman, when is Mike Henry going to open the rest of his baby project?

For me, I look at the overall contribution of the man. Hitler must have done something good for Germany. Mugabe has been a tremendous failure. At one time, inflation in Zimbabwe was running at 230 million percent!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah you right on that. one of my low days on the forum

Comment

I believe that's the best approach to take as well. Regarding Mugabe, I prefer to divide his public career into two phases: a freedom fighter/guerrilla leader at which he was very successful, and a nation builder at which he has failed miserably.
                              Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that most leaders of freedom fighter movements are not good at nation building even though they are understandably the first choice for that role when the transition takes place.

I can't say I know what Mike Henrys plans are with regards to the highway. Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X