Resistance is futile....Most of us will be assimilated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistance is futile....Most of us will be assimilated

Computer scientists warn how robots and artificial intelligence will steal your job and create inequality

Top computer scientists in the US warned over the weekend that the rise of AI and robots in the work place could cause mass unemployment and dislocated economies, rather than simply unlocking productivity gains and freeing us all up to watch TV and play sports.

And a recent report from Citi, produced in conjunction with the University of Oxford, highlights how increased automation could lead to greater inequality.

The report, released last month and titled "Technology at work: V2.0", concludes that 35 per cent of jobs in the UK are at risk of being replaced by automation, 47 per cent of US jobs are at risk, and across the OECD as a whole an average of 57 per cent of jobs are at risk. In China, the risk of automation is as high as 77 per cent.

Most of the jobs at risk are low-skilled service jobs like call centres or in manufacturing industries. But increasingly skilled jobs are at risk of being replaced. The next big thing in financial technology at the moment is "roboadvice" — algorithms that can recommend savings and investment products to someone in the same way a financial advisor would. If roboadvisors take off it could lead to huge upheavals in that high-skilled profession.

But Citi says governments and populations are going to have to prepare for these changes, which are going to hit the world of work faster than technology advances have in the past.

The report predicts that many workers will have to retrain in their lifetime as jobs are replaced by machines. Citi recommends investment in education as the single biggest factor that could help mitigate the impact of increased automation and AI.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

No!
    It shall not!
    What it shall do is, challenge the minds of men to make equality a reality!

Currently the pressure to make equality real is not great! The rise of AI and robots shall FORCE - (=mankind to work feverishly) - that desire and thus minds to 'find' equality!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Similar to roboadvisors, I have read where some financial media outlets are experimenting with what may be called "robo-reporters". You know those routine financial reports about the stock market went down by x% but Google and Apple went up by Y% due to better than expected earnings. Those reporters are doing nothing but putting standardized sentences around data, and not adding much if any value. Their services will not be required for much longer.

Still I maintain that the majority of these reports about skills replacement ignore the X factor of careers which do not yet exist, and services which are affordable today only to the very wealthy but which will eventually be more mainstream. For example I really don't see robots being personal chefs or personal nurses any time soon. They may assist them, but the personal touch means a lot for those types of services.

However even those types of new careers will not make things easier for the unskilled and uneducated, as basic technical and communication skills are required to be good at those types of jobs. If all you can do is pump gas or ask if the customer is having or going, dawg nyam you supper. For that reason I expect inequality to continue to grow in any economy that does not implement a deliberate plan to upgrade the skill set of its poorly educated citizens.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Similar to roboadvisors, I have read where some financial media outlets are experimenting with what may be called "robo-reporters". You know those routine financial reports about the stock market went down by x% but Google and Apple went up by Y% due to better than expecting earnings. Those reporters are doing nothing but putting standardized sentences around data, and not adding much if any value. Their services will not be required for much longer.

Still I maintain that the majority of these reports about skills replacement ignore the X factor of careers which do not yet exist, and services which are affordable today only to the very wealthy but which will eventually be more mainstream. For example I really don't see robots being personal chefs or personal nurses any time soon. They may assist them, but the personal touch means a lot for those types of services.

However even those types of new careers will not make things easier for the unskilled and uneducated, as basic technical and communication skills are required to be good at those types of jobs. If all you can do is pump gas or ask if the customer is having or going, dawg nyam you supper. For that reason I expect inequality to continue to grow in any economy that does not implement a deliberate plan to upgrade the skill set of its poorly educated citizens.
        - Still I maintain that the majority of these reports about skills replacement ignore the X factor of careers which do not yet exist, and services which are affordable today only to the very wealthy but which will eventually be more mainstream.

On point!
        ...stop right there as personal touch can be developed in robots - life-like that differences cannot be seen with no previous introduction of the robot to those receiving the services. Those robots will be human-like in every respect as it relates to service environment. Think year 100,000 - (May well occur before year 100,000)? Open self to what seems impossible...improbable now!

- ...those types of new careers will not make things easier for the unskilled and uneducated, as basic technical and communication skills are required to be good at those types of jobs. If all you can do is pump gas or ask if the customer is having or going, dawg nyam you supper

Look at it this way!
        Mental ability is among all, equal! ...save for those 'who were dropped on head'! All have the God-given/inherent ability to become mentally proficient at any task. It is the method of 'teaching' that presents barriers.

There is no one who falls into the category of all you can do is pump gas or ask if the customer is having or going.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          - Still I maintain that the majority of these reports about skills replacement ignore the X factor of careers which do not yet exist, and services which are affordable today only to the very wealthy but which will eventually be more mainstream.

On point!
          ...stop right there as personal touch can be developed in robots - life-like that differences cannot be seen with no previous introduction of the robot to those receiving the services. Those robots will be human-like in every respect as it relates to service environment. Think year 100,000 - (May well occur before year 100,000)? Open self to what seems impossible...improbable now!

- ...those types of new careers will not make things easier for the unskilled and uneducated, as basic technical and communication skills are required to be good at those types of jobs. If all you can do is pump gas or ask if the customer is having or going, dawg nyam you supper

Look at it this way!
          Mental ability is among all, equal! ...save for those 'who were dropped on head'! All have the God-given/inherent ability to become mentally proficient at any task. It is the method of 'teaching' that presents barriers.

There is no one who falls into the category of all you can do is pump gas or ask if the customer is having or going.
          In essence, I agree with you, but you've gone too far. This talk about "be anything you want to be" is just not true.

Creative destruction is a good thing. We should not fear it. Adapt and let it assist in the growth of economies and the human race.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Think year 100,000
            Well you notice I said any time soon Considering how humans have advanced in the last 200 years, I don't think any of us can even conceive of what will be achieved in 1000 much less 100,000. Perhaps by then we would have conquered death, assuming an asteroid or a supernova doesn't expire us before we know how to handle them.

Mental ability is among all, equal!
            I don't believe that for one minute. People have different aptitudes. Not everyone can be an excellent musician, or rocket scientist or entrepreneur. Competent maybe, but not excellent.

I wasn't saying anyone was ordained by God to pump gas and work in fast food, I am saying without basic skills training chances are that is the type of unskilled job that they are going to end up in. They are not going to be financing the building of luxury hotels even though they may well have more of an aptitude for doing that than Donald Trump has. He had a daddy who gave him a couple million to start out and an education at Wharton, they don't.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Computer scientists warn how robots and artificial intelligence will steal your job and create inequality

Top computer scientists in the US warned over the weekend that the rise of AI and robots in the work place could cause mass unemployment and dislocated economies, rather than simply unlocking productivity gains and freeing us all up to watch TV and play sports.

And a recent report from Citi, produced in conjunction with the University of Oxford, highlights how increased automation could lead to greater inequality.

The report, released last month and titled "Technology at work: V2.0", concludes that 35 per cent of jobs in the UK are at risk of being replaced by automation, 47 per cent of US jobs are at risk, and across the OECD as a whole an average of 57 per cent of jobs are at risk. In China, the risk of automation is as high as 77 per cent.

Most of the jobs at risk are low-skilled service jobs like call centres or in manufacturing industries. But increasingly skilled jobs are at risk of being replaced. The next big thing in financial technology at the moment is "roboadvice" — algorithms that can recommend savings and investment products to someone in the same way a financial advisor would. If roboadvisors take off it could lead to huge upheavals in that high-skilled profession.

But Citi says governments and populations are going to have to prepare for these changes, which are going to hit the world of work faster than technology advances have in the past.

The report predicts that many workers will have to retrain in their lifetime as jobs are replaced by machines. Citi recommends investment in education as the single biggest factor that could help mitigate the impact of increased automation and AI.
              ... watch TV and play sports? At some point sports will be played by robots. First the officials will be gradually replaced by 'goal line technology' then by other cameras and sensors then the player will be replaced by robots.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

You think people will stop playing sports simply because robots can play them too? Why?

Most humans are not wired like that. There is a reason Lebron and Usain continue to push themselves and train hard even though neither of them has any need to do it anymore. There is a reason people like Trump and Romney and Bloomberg are interested in being president and are willing to put themselves through tough election campaigns. And there is a reason why people like Warren Buffett don't stay home every day and watch TV.

Comment

Education at Wharton? Probably bought! Don't believe the hype!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Possibly, but I never heard of a Wharton graduate selling at McDonalds before.

Comment

you start sounding like me now Iman. Lol!!!

what you fraid a di technology age?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL. Notice i am not saying that the robots won't be able to play sports. I am sure they will and we will see more robot competitions and things like that.

But I don't see where most humans are ever going to wake up and do nothing all day, every day. Whats the purpose of being alive if that is all left to do.

Comment

yeah watching the sport would be watching car racing but it wouldn't take anything away from the real human sports.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            No!
                            It shall not!
                            What it shall do is, challenge the minds of men to make equality a reality!

Currently the pressure to make equality real is not great! The rise of AI and robots shall FORCE - (=mankind to work feverishly) - that desire and thus minds to 'find' equality!
                            LOL..So you believe industrial automation & AI will FORCE mankind to work towards equality??? What is the psychology behind this fanciful "challenge the minds of men" thing? Are you nuts???

So AI will change ingrained human nature and/or practices which (especially under capitalism) encourage fair & unfair competition, excessive consumption of material goods, one-upmanship & avarice??

Think again. It's much more likely that when jobs, income & wealth are more squeezed by automation to favor a techo-elite and owners of capital....things will probably get much worse than they are today in terms of inequality.

Think more Donald Trump than Bernie Sanders

It's not rocket science
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                            X