How did Chris Rock do last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Chris Rock do last night?

There were times when I just didn't get it.

I didn't have a problem with him making the mostly white Hollywood feel uncomfortable, but having white people laugh at lynching jokes...haven't they laughed enough about such things? Felt weird. Can't picture anyone laughing at Auschwitz jokes without getting a major lashing from Jewish organizations.

As for the Stacy Dash joke...is it funny having Stacy Dash mock black people? I get the irony but, just didn't really find it that funny.

Overall, I liked his frankness and his perspective.

I'm happy he threw in the words, "black lives matter", towards the end as clearly Hollywood doesn't believe black movies and acting performances matter. And the show wrapped up with Public Enemy's Fight the Power.

Nice!
    Last edited by Mosiah; February 29, 2016, 05:07 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    There were times when I just didn't get it.

I didn't have a problem with him making the mostly white Hollywood feel uncomfortable, but having white people laugh at lynching jokes...haven't they laughed enough about such things? Felt weird. Can't picture anyone laughing at Auschwitz jokes without getting a major lashing from Jewish organizations.

As for the Stacy Dash joke...is it funny having Stacy Dash mock black people? I get the irony but, just didn't really find it that funny.

Overall, I liked his frankness and his perspective.

I'm happy he threw in the words, "black lives matter", towards the end as clearly Hollywood doesn't believe black movies and acting performances matter. And the show wrapped up when Public Enemy's Fight the Power.

Nice!
    I didn't watch the entire show, just when he came out. Personally, I had no problem with what he said. He had a valid point, black folks back then didn't have time to worry about the Oscars ... he is a comedian so of course he is going to push the envelope. I found it funny. There were times it was clear he made some in the audience uncomfortable.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

from all reports 10/10 and he was been himself.

I have to see it
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The Stacy Dash thing fell flat. She is really an idiot.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'd suggest we have real problems to protest these days as well. Law enforcement killing unarmed black men on a weekly basis, it seems, is not something to be taken lightly one bit. And that's just one thing.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            I'd suggest we have real problems to protest these days as well. Law enforcement killing unarmed black men on a weekly basis, it seems, is not something to be taken lightly one bit. And that's just one thing.
            but didn't he make that point as well? I am almost certain he did.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Perhaps. And I would agree that those days were worse than today but still, they are all bad.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Like Lazie, I had no problems with his shtick. He was funny and he had many squirming in the audience. I think this whole issue will see more diversity in Hollywood in the near future. The flop Gods of Egypt, with its all-white cast will see to that.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                X