RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the chances of Obama replacing Justice Scalia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances of Obama replacing Justice Scalia?

Or will the Repugs pussyfoot around until the next president is elected?

Obama, who spoke for just a few minutes, praised Scalia and said it was a day to remember Scalia's "remarkable" life. But make no mistake, Obama's comments about naming a replacement were aimed squarely at Senate Republicans who have already said a replacement should not come until a new president is elected.

"The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/13/466691...nt-replacement

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Why on earth should the president who has almost a year left in office defer to the next president to replace a dead Supreme Court justice? This lame duck argument is nonsense, the president is elected for 4 years and he should take action as president for 4 years. If the Repugs want to drag it out for a year then let them. I am sure they will try as an Obama replacement will tilt the court firmly liberal.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Agreed. I dont understand the reasoning

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The argument is clearly ridiculous. Why should the Republican Senate determine who the next justice will be? And that's if they win the presidency!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"it only makes sense that we defer to the American people who will elect a new president to select the next Supreme Court Justice."

So wait, President Obama was elected by the people?
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

In reality The people plays a role but does not directly

elect the President of the United States. Therefore, These republicans will stretch any which way the wind blows. In this case not honoring the same constitution they vehemently defend on gun control. To disrespect the President while going against the constitution and executive rules is fair game. smh
            "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Could Obama be Scalia's replacement?

Comment

This could be a good thing for the Democratic candidates if played right.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

He shouldn't .... What would he do, resign the presidency?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Actually I see it differently .... It may bring out conservatives to vote in order to ensure that the republicans get the next couple of appointments

Comment

It cuts both ways. As Bernie says, Democrats win when they have a huge voter turnout and this potentially hot-button topic could be the gasoline on the fire.

Comment

The Repubs said they wouldn't shut down the govt anymore because they don't want there to be a negative view are of them leading up to the election......but they couldn't help themselves and they giving Dems just what they want.....a chance to label the Repubs as gridlock kings. Shutdown Mitch was very reflexive.

Check this, a third of the senate seats. 33 or 34 are up for re-election, constitutionally. 24 of those are held by Repubs. This issue is just what the Dems need to campaign with against the Repubs and swing the senate back.
                        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
                          elect the President of the United States. Therefore, These republicans will stretch any which way the wind blows. In this case not honoring the same constitution they vehemently defend on gun control. To disrespect the President while going against the constitution and executive rules is fair game. smh
                          Huh? Who elects the president? The electoral college? Then what are they saying about the vacant justice position? Should Americans as the electoral college their opinion?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Clinton said she is really considering Obama for the post if she becom e s president,with the republicans suggesting a lengthy delay in the appointment,the stars are properly aligned..

Comment

It would be a waste to have Obama as a supreme court justice. I think he can be much more useful as former president.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X