RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tropical house or dancehall? The debate rages on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm listening to it as I type and I got to say - WOW!

Soon link yuh back!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ok, I'm done!

I will watch and listen to that YouTube over and over again and I encourage everyone to do so.

I am extremely happy that they mentioned Dem Bow by Shabba, because that song, in my unimportant view, gave rise to Reggaeton. There were some other chunes around the same time that became very popular with the Latino community. Indeed, they listened to them in the original format, patwah and all, until they said, why not dumb down the riddim a little bit and write some Spanish lyrics for these chunes. So, that very popular Beiber chune, for the misinformed, can be thought of as reggaeton. The Spanish version of the song is quite popular as well. I would just say is reggae and done.

The compartmentalization of popular music is quite interesting. Tropical House...never even heard of it until this Work debate. I have seen some rather strange ones out there and wonder if dem even mek sense. EDM has been in the news recently. There is dance pop, reggae fusion and post-hardcore. I got to see what dem mean by post-hardcore.

Remember back in the day when Jamaicans talked about rockers as a new genre derived from reggae music. We were referring to the faster version of reggae that was becoming popular at the time. Bob Marley, for the most part was reggae. Try Jah Love by Third World could be considered rockers. Eventually, that term went by the wayside. Ask a 30 year old about rockers and dem look pon yuh strange.

Interesting indeed.

I am happy that others are trying to secure our property rights even if we ourselves couldn't care less.

Thanks, I-man!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This should put the debate to rest.

Behind-The-Scene Clips Of Rihanna's New "Work" Mu…: http://youtu.be/ogGLnIhLw80

Can't wait for the video itself.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/prophet22/v...6522759430704/
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yeah, dem finally a defend it, after di rest a di world done do dat arready!

Better late dan neva, a guess!

And why Richie Stephens think him haffi pronounce di word as "rhythm", when all di white bwoy a correctly call it "riddim"?

As fi Vegas and him "jawna"! I guess that is the patwah word!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Interestingly saw an edm concert advertising "paradise lost" which claims edm was originally done by jammys and others. I think that is a stretch. Drum and bass by tubby a dem yes but we can't claim edm

Comment

Lol Richie the artiste eat a food..

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  Following the recent revelation by Billboard.com that the EDM genre is a product of Jamaica, legendary producer King Jammys, who said he knew this all along, blames local media and historians for not documenting the history of Jamaican music.

The producer-selector who was also singled out by Billboard.com as one of the pioneers of electronic music, said in the formative years of Jamaican music, the media was focused on politicians and not the persons producing art.

King Jammys also said he has been touring for many years, hired by international promoters to play EDM and Dub music.

"Every year I go out and play this genre. Jamaicans don't cherish the history of the music and what we did. The historians only cherish politicians and not the hard work we put in, so the people don't know," he told The Gleaner, while encouraging Jamaican acts to capitalise on EDM music.

Billboard.com, which traced the origins of EDM music to the late great Jamaican producer-selector King Tubby, pointed out that EDM DJs are following his blueprint.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...msxw4.facebook
                  my earlier post
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Whether respected or completely unrecognized, rave-headlining dance DJs are the latest pop music phenomenon whose lineage is directly traceable to the earliest days of the Jamaican sound system (i.e. mobile disco). “The sound system influence is undeniable in hip-hop, in jungle, drum and bass, now EDM,” asserts veteran Jamaican MC/selector Walshy Fire, of the production collective Major Lazer, along with Diplo (Wesley Pentz) and Jillionaire (Christopher Leacock). “The energy Major Lazer presents on stage is guided by sound system sessions of years ago,” continued Fire.

“I’m not sure if EDM DJs really understand that some of the one-liners they shout out, like ‘gal jump up’ or ‘wine your body gal,’ come from Jamaica’s deejay/selector culture,” says Kingston based Kamal Bankay, an EDM DJ and promoter of several events there including the annual Major Lazer and Friends show, which returns to Kingston on December 18. “Like the sound system selector who became a producer, the EDM DJ also produces many of his tracks and becomes popular because people gravitate towards his music.”

EDM DJ’s that dissect and otherwise manipulate their tracks while playing live are following an innovation established by the brilliant Jamaican engineer, sound system owner/selector, the late King Tubby (b. Osbourne Ruddock). While working as a disc cutter for Duke Reid and using a two-track recording console, Tubby eliminated vocal and instrumental segments, sometimes stripping a song down to a single, thunderous bass line, which he embellished with echo and reverb effects, in a process called dub. Because of his expertise with electronics, Tubby was able to recreate the dub effects live on his sound system, something no one had ever heard, making his set the most popular of the early '70s.
                    http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...ce-edm-hip-hop

Comment

In the sneak peek below, get a taste of what Major Lazer will be like, as well as Major Lazer's music and the Jamaican culture that inspired the show. Diplo speaks about why Jamaica has inspired him and how the series is perfect for "any fans of hip-hop/electronic music or '80s cartoons, and the culture that gave birth to [Major Lazer's] musical landscape." More to the point: "It's like being high," according to Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, the voice of Major Lazer, the show's superhero.
                      http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ries-fxx-video

Comment

Speaking of Major Lazer...

Major Lazer - "Watch out for this" dance super vi…: http://youtu.be/8W_1vg7W6Oo

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is ongle we one embarrassed bout dancehall.

Historian must be spinning in his...wait, Hissy not dead! Right? Any way wi can check?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

From Reid to Red Bull: Inside the Business of Jamaican Sound System Clashes

The sound system clash, which precedes Barry G and David Rodigan's careers by two decades, is a contest between two (or more) sound systems (also called sets) vying for musical supremacy. Developed within economically depressed areas in Kingston in the late 1940s, early sound systems consisted of a turntable, amplifiers and towering speaker boxes, custom built to establish an identifiable, far reaching sound while emphasizing a deep bass. Sound systems employed selectors that chose the tunes and deejays whose cleverly rhymed introductions to each record created the art of toasting or deejaying, which became essential to clashing victories. The selectors' need for new, exclusive music to attract audiences and defeat an opponent was a major catalyst in the development of Jamaica's recording industry.

Sound systems clashed, sometimes violently, at dances held at meeting halls or in yards (referred to as lawns), the outcome determined by the audience's response over several rounds to the selector's sequencing of established hits, new releases, and the effectiveness of their specials (now called dub plates), an artist's remake of a hit, lyrically adjusted to exalt a specific sound/selector or deride an adversary. For example, the "Golden Hen" dub by the late Tenor Saw, which Rodigan voiced with the young, influential Jamaican singer was specific to eliminating Barry G in the Brooklyn clash; following Tenor Saw's untimely death less than three years later, "Golden Hen" remains one of Rodigan's most significant dubs.
                            http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-david-rodigan

Comment

How Jamaica conquered the world

I wondered what he thought about the outlook for the next 50 years. "I travel a lot," he says, "and the perception has been that Jamaica is a dangerous place. But in the last year that has started to change. It is getting over its negative image. People are starting to view Jamaica differently now. The removal of Dudus Coke [Kingston gang lord, recently given a 23-year sentence in the US for drug crimes] has had a dramatic effect. The figures for violent crime have dropped by 40%. Jamaica has so many assets: it is ideally located in the world; the people are great; it has amazing natural beauty. For its size, its achievements are absurdly high. The future, as anywhere, is all down to management."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ered-the-world

Comment

The removal of Dudus Coke [Kingston gang lord, recently given a 23-year sentence in the US for drug crimes] has had a dramatic effect. The figures for violent crime have dropped by 40%.
                                Wasn't rocket surgery! Yet some can't see it.

If Seaga wanted the man removed, why some sacrificed their career to protect him?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X