RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GP teacher...Extra-Curricula or Co-Curricula Activities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GP teacher...Extra-Curricula or Co-Curricula Activities?

https://carolebeckford.wordpress.com...ght-direction/
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Karl,

Bear with me if you already know this...but you asked, and I try to cover several bases, if not all.

The words, "curiculum" and "curricula" are nouns, the first singular, the second plural. "Curricular" is an adjective. For this reason, I prefer to use the terms, "extra-curricular" and "co-curricular" when followed by the word "activities."

An argument can be made to use the words as they are in the thread starter.

Now with respect to use, "extra" curricular in a school setting (High School) traditionally refers to activities pursued after regular (core subjects) classes. So going to chess club or Scouts is extra-curricular. It is optional, and not part of the academic curriculum. In the last little while educators have more and more begun to recognise that pursuing some of these activities (e.g. chess club, music club) while still optional, actually help enhance comprehension or appreciation of core academic subjects. And thus, the appearance of the term "co-curricular" in the educators' lexicon. The activities are essentially the same, but "elevating" the activity to "co-curricular" recognises that the activity or activities, can have an equally important role to play in the child's development.

Some might say "semantics", (Sir X ), but depending on how or when the term is used, you can get some idea of the importance accorded to the activity by the speaker, or by the educational institution where the activity is being done. Hope this is of some help.
    Peter R

Comment

Working...
    X