Marijuana Matters At Rebel Salute’s Herb Curb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana Matters At Rebel Salute’s Herb Curb

Referring to marijuana as a "beautiful plant", First Man reflected that Rastafarians has always used it spiritually and economically, which Ras Perty of House of Dread reiterated. "When we say marijuana is a sacrament, it is our right and choice. It is our cultural right to do so," Ras Perty said.

"There are lots of negative stigmatisations about herb. We can prove otherwise," he said. "I still see that there is a very large unawareness of who we are and what our sacrament is to us." He reflected briefly on the repression of Rastafarians, especially in the early 1960s, and said, "We won't stop. We won't forget. And we will never make you forget what was done to us for our own rights."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...utes-herb-curb
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Went down for the weekend and attended Saturday night at Rebel Salute. Bwoy X and all roots reggae lovers, this is the show for you! In fact it is much more than a show it was a cultural experience. The food was excellent, me never miss the meat nor the alcohol at all. The craft vendors had a nice selection of "trinkets" ( morning Don1 ). Then there was the Herb Curb. Great idea and well done for a first attempt. I will say more about this in another post later.

Oh the music, Beres done the place Saturday night! If don't know if he has had some rest or what but he was at his best with as much energy as can be expected from a man pushing 60. Earlier on The Abyssinians and Pablo Moses were special treats for me. I-Octane has a lot of potential but I think his act for a show like this needs to have less dancehall style pull-up and wheel and more singing out of his many good songs. There really were no bad acts...Junior Reid, Ken Boothe, Eric Donaldson were all good. Maybe a few too many acts as they had to be rushing their sets as time was short,

It is a very well produced show, I love the venue in Priory, St Ann and the lifestyle concept. The time between acts was short, usually 5-10 minutes during which time Muta and the other MCs entertain with some talking and joking around. Only complaint is that like all these shows they go on for too long. I left after David Brooks (ie Movado without the offensive songs) at about 8am and there was still Half Pint. Pinchers and Turbulence to come. Nobody wants these shows to finish before sunrise but 10-11 am is really too much I think.

Really though, this is a show worth attending, I took the Knutsford Express charter from Mobay straight to the venue, and the bus doesn't leave until 45 minutes after the show is finished. However if like me you have had your belly full before the show is over you can go back to the bus, air conditioned and wireless enabled, and sleep till the show done.
    Last edited by Islandman; January 19, 2016, 09:12 AM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Rebel Salutes Festival

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...festival_49055
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

On my agenda for next year
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Nobody wants these shows to finish before sunrise but 10-11 am is really too much I think.
          Yuh just getting old, I-man!

Sounds like the show was really good and you had a good time. Rebel Salute was my last such show a few years ago. The food was great there, and, even tho there was no official sale of alcohol...yuh done know!

I said then that that would be my last time at such a show but I think I may want to check out the St. Ann version. Afterall, it is in my backyard!

Nice that Knutsford Express really didn't have to go out of its way to be a useful part of the festivities.

Nice!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well done seems like a great Jamaican experience. Big up all involved.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I tell you, I hadn't been to an all-night show in quite a while so wasn't sure how the body would hold up, but I exceeded my expectations!

Good thing one of my friends told me to walk with my likkle portable chair. Back in the day we used to snicker when people would come Sunsplash like they were going to the beach, but my back is very quick to remind me that we are not in the 90s anymore, so I decided not to play hero!

Comment

Working...
              X