• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gros Michel and Lacaton varities of banana

..............are these cultivars still available in Jamaica
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

They are in T&T... but I'm reading that bananas are in danger of being wiped out? Forget the "virus" or the blight involved but it's supposedly rampant in the East and making its way westward... you heard about this?
    Peter R

Comment

I have some gros michel not so sure about the lacatan

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

They are still around. They are not produced by the most of the big farms since the others grow and produce faster, This is also helpful when disasters like hurricane strike, but I know in Portland some people still have pride in there Gross Mitchel and Lacatan bananas.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I would love to taste the Gros Michel again. Both boiled and ripe.

Banana nowadays (especially the ripe ones) do not taste as good as when I was a kid. Maybe this is just mind over matter.

HL

Comment

Your taste buds have adapted to the new diet of Stella Artois etc etc

Comment

...in fact, I had 2 with dinner yesterday.

HL

Comment

Here is an article about the "banana blight"...a man made problem!

Bye bye bananas https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ld-go-extinct/
                Peter R

Comment

For a while, Jamaica had a lot of Hurricane and Breeze blow, which affected the crops and people Jamaica Producers realise that the shorter breed which grow mature in a shorter time is better to deal with so they switched to this.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                  X