X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gwaaaan Termites!! Fat Tourists tuh di Whirlllllllllll

Big! Really big!
    Mexican hotel company investing US$900 million in Jamaica

BY VERNON DAVIDSON Executive editor -- publications davidsonv@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7 Comments

KARISMA Hotels and Resorts yesterday announced that it is investing more than US$900 million in a mega hotel project in St Ann that will, over a decade, add 4,000 new rooms to Jamaica's tourism sector and provide at least 8,000 direct jobs.

Ruben Becerra, vice-president of corporate affairs and business development for the Mexican resort company which partners with TUI -- the world's largest tour operator -- made the announcement at the Jamaica Tourist Board headquarters in Kingston.

He said his company's decision to increase its investment in the island was driven by the fact that Jamaica is one of the three fastest-growing tourism destinations in the Caribbean.

"The three fastest-growing destinations in the Caribbean are Cancun, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica," Becerra told journalists at a news conference. "People view these destinations as very safe."

Jamaica, he added, already enjoys a good reputation" and "the demand is there". Becerra said the new nine-hotel resort project will be built on 226 acres of land recently acquired in Llandovery, St Ann.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Don 1,suh Mexico(a courtry competing with Jamaica for tourists)gets to do so from within?
    When will one and one be two,ah mean tings a gwaan,remittance..sports..,and tourism-wise but we continue to spiral..?

Comment

Good job.Gwaan McNeil.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        Don 1,suh Mexico(a courtry competing with Jamaica for tourists)gets to do so from within?
        When will one and one be two,ah mean tings a gwaan,remittance..sports..,and tourism-wise but we continue to spiral..?
        Tourism, remittances, sports etc are important components of Jamaica

But those things cannot transform Jamaica in this 21st Century which is dominated by science & technology

The beginning of any national transformation has to be a totally reformed education system, universally available..and stressing the APPLICATIONS of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics...not merely classroom theories

That will (over time) upskill the labor force and enable higher value added production than we currently have in traditional sectors like tourism. Tourism uses mostly low skill/low value adding jobs...with an EXTREMELY HUGE import content to maintain the Westerners in the manner they like.

So sectors like tourism have a VERY LOW development impact....even though they are important parts of our current underdeveloped economy. That picture needs to change

When JA is able to produce a big cohort of tech-ready workers...that will encourage local & foreign investment in the higher value-adding sectors which have a chance at sparking economic transformation.. It's not rocket science

I'm glad you asked because the above is the mission of our
        just launched STEM PLAN

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Again when you talk of the impact, you fail to talk about the indirect impact.

First thing is we are better off owning our own hotels, as it means more dollars coming in directly.

The second thing is if you have 4000 rooms full then you have 4000 to 16000 possible consumers and it is up to develop strategy to take some money off a them and make them enjoy themselves.

Tourist bring direct foreign exchange which we need bad. Again see the impact that HEART Runaway Bay have on not only people who remain in tourism but to other sectors.

Anyway Bird can't fly on one wing so go forward with the STEM program but a little more study will show that if implemented right Tourism is a money winner and very impactful. Tourism can also take a few of the STEM grads and engineers to develop more efficient ways for energy use to make it more profitable.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
              Agreed!
              Ok...but are you willing to do more than merely agree?

Comment

I said tourism is an important part of our current deformed & underdeveloped economy. This does not make tourism a negative, it's a net positive for the very significant job effect & intra-sector economic multiplier effect.

However if Jamaica is looking to economic transformation (which was the sub text of Rocky's inquiry) ...tourism is not the answer. The low skill job value-add is poor and import burden is too high.

Most tourism jobs are domestic or service workers, taxi drivers, trinket sellers etc...And ~60% of tourism earnings flow right back out to finance tourism inputs

What's there not to understand???

Comment

Tourism is very adaptable and when economy improves and if Technology improves, our current tourism as you see it now, will not be the same and will also add something to the Tourism Industry to make it more profitable.

Have you considered that?

Think about Hong Kong, Japan etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Tourism is very adaptable and when economy improves and if Technology improves, our current tourism as you see it now, will not be the same and will also add something to the Tourism Industry to make it more profitable.

Have you considered that?

Think about Hong Kong, Japan etc.
                    I see... I'm ignorant of what you mention here...But I'm willing to learn

Explain and give examples of what this "something" is and how this "something" will be added to tourism to make it ""more profitable"

And what specifically am I to think about re "Hong Kong, Japan etc"??

Comment

Tourism in a modern country is heavily dependent on energy and cost such as building, food cost etc.

If you can use technology to cut those, it becomes a lot more profitable for those involved.

If you look at these economies you will see they have vibrant tourism, it includes a lot of business travelers and scientists etc. who are tourist but are not necessarily going there to enjoy beaches or Japanese culture to the extent that many of our tourist do. Technology makes it more convenient to these tourist.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        Tourism in a modern country is heavily dependent on energy and cost such as building, food cost etc.

If you can use technology to cut those, it becomes a lot more profitable for those involved.

If you look at these economies you will see they have vibrant tourism, it includes a lot of business travelers and scientists etc. who are tourist but are not necessarily going there to enjoy beaches or Japanese culture to the extent that many of our tourist do. Technology makes it more convenient to these tourist.
                        LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So this is the "something"??????

Yes tech can lower some tourism costs... robotic taxis anyone?? But that doesn't make the industry transformational

Business travelers and even scientists (LOL) are cool...but it's same ole tourism

Tourism should be continued and expanded (and its very bad effects suitably mitigated) ...but if JA wants a much better and more advanced economy (eg like Costa Rica) it has to look elsewhere to higher value-add sectors.

This is the 21st Century ..although most Jamaicans don't seem to realize

It's basic economics.... and you as Professor Johnny & author of a business book should know this

Comment

So that you know, Costa Rica promotes its tourism very heavily and it is a very essential industry for them.

Simply. If we talking about development "One hand can't clap" We need more than one Engine working to bring success and with that, I am out.

Comment

You're not arguing in a logical fashion... so you completely miss the point

Point 1. Tourism is a low value add industry which although important, CANNOT transform JA's development prospects

Point 2. In order to progress JA need to attract and maintain fast-growing, 21st Century, higher value-add industries

Point 3. Point 2 can only be accomplished by revolutionizing JA education with a STEM apps focus

Class dismissed Professor

Comment

No single industry can't transform Jamaica's economy.

It will be transformed by growth in not one but other sectors including tourism.

Comment

Working...
                              X