• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priest blasts crass politicians

Says poor example being set, campaign speeches lack quality
    BY ALICIA DUNKLEY Observer staff reporter dunkleya@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, June 25, 2007

Catholic priest Father Michael Lewis yesterday severely criticised the behaviour of Jamaican politicians on the campaign trail, describing their utterances as lacking in quality, crass and bordering on hypocrisy.

In a strident sermon marking the start of National Export Week at the Stella Maris Church in St Andrew, Lewis also chided the politicians for setting a poor example for the populace and told the congregants not to be afraid to challenge authority and speak the truth.
    "It is with some amount of regret that I listened to many in political life speak on camera since week, and I must say the quality of their words leaves a lot to be desired, and it is on all sides, all the Ps," Father Lewis said.

"When I can listen to people in politics say people must be treated fairly and then they get up on camera, knowing they are going to be recorded, and call another person an "idiot" and then you expect me and the Jamaican people to vote for you; If I had my way, I would ban all of them from politics," he said.
    According to Lewis, the behaviour being displayed by the political leadership is "not right" neither is it "good for our people" and bordered on hypocrisy.

"We talk about Jamaican people being civil and understanding and tolerant of one another, but how do we expect our people to be tolerant and understanding when our leaders are not?" he asked. "You can't have your leaders behaving in a very crass way and then expect the population to be different. How do they expect to be crass and then expect our people to be gentle?"

Both major political parties have spent the last few weeks on the hustings as the country races towards what is expected to be a fiercely contested General Election. While some of the campaign speeches so far have offered glimpses of the parties' programmes, a number of speakers have concentrated on berating their political opponents and, in the case of the ruling People's National Party, attacks on the media.

Charging his congregants, most of whom are from the upper crust of society, to be "socially conscious and socially responsible", Lewis said those who were the friends of the guilty should "challenge them in their words and their behaviours".

"Don't be afraid. Be men and women who are socially conscious, socially responsible and not afraid to speak the truth, to challenge authority, to do what is right." he advised. "Don't behave in a particular way because you are looking friends or because you want the Government to give you an incentive."

Commenting on a recent 'prophecy' by Bishop Phillip Phinn that the People's National Party would trump the Jamaica Labour Party and remain in office for a fifth term, Lewis, while not naming Phinn, said he was clear in his mind that "nobody is able to prophesy who is going to win whatever race or contest," but rather the electorate would decide who forms the next Government.
    Father Lewis also challenged the Jamaica Exporters' Association and members of the business community to be "fair and just" in their business dealings.

"Do not extort from people," Lewis advised.
    Commenting on the levels of corruption in the country, the priest said there were "too many incidences of people who abuse their authority and abuse the trust that has been placed in them by the people of this nation".

"For those in positions of leadership, treat your people well, be fair to your people. Don't make money at the expense of others," he added.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Finally a man of the 'cloth' talking as he is suppose to.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Maybe he should get some of the Vatican's wealth and share some in poor areas in Jamaica. Everyone has to preach to his congregation. The politicians make promises for better after the elections, the priest makes promises for better after death. Take your pick.

Comment

Working...
      X