Nurturing a culture of Maths at Morant Bay High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurturing a culture of Maths at Morant Bay High

Mrs. Beverley Hyatt, Master Teacher in Mathematics at Morant Bay High, speaking on RJR's Beyond the Headlines, on Monday, said the significantly improved outcomes were the results of careful preparation, starting in 2009, when she returned to teach at the eastern Jamaica school.

Significant success was also being achieved in Additional Mathematics (Add Maths) she said, underlying the overall success of the school's mathematics programme.

So much so, she said, that all 28 students who sat the Add Maths exam this year achieved the Grade I standard.
    http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/local/m...orant-bay-high
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Good going I saw a piece on her the other day. God bless her soul.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Her dedication and commitment to her students is well known. Last time I visited the school there was a big poster from the students thanking her for what she did for them.

She has an interesting personal story as well. She is from St Thomas but didn't go to high school. Her mother died young so she had to care for her granny and didn't get to go to school much in Grade 6 , did not even sit Common Entrance. She had to go to Secondary school but got enough subjects to get into Teachers College and eventually UWI.

I always wonder how many more as talented as her fall by the wayside due to one misfortune or the other.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Outstanding work and achievement !!!!!

And not to steal Mrs. Hyatts' thunder; there are teachers in Jamaica who are at the other end of the spectrum. This include some principals. I have seen and interacted with some of these teaching liabilities. They need to be rooted out.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yes there are some horrible teachers out there, some of whom should never be allowed near anyones child. The appointed Morant Bay High principal who was recently run out of town is as good an example as any. However there are certainly some of those in the US as well.

This assumption that every teacher is a good teacher is nonsense. That is what teachers unions would have us believe but it is a myth.

Comment

noice!

BTW... mi agguh link yuh next week pon ah likkle STEM sitten wi ah wuk pon...Mi juss need couple bigga heads fi fi sign off...

Wikkid tings mi tell yuh

Memba mi tole yuh dat
            Last edited by Don1; August 21, 2015, 05:00 PM.
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It ..... Can ...... Be ...... Done!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ok cool.

Comment

It really can. Being close to this situation has really changed my perspective somewhat.

She told us a story...after they selected this class of students who would do CSEC in 4th and then Add Maths in 5th based on their maths performance in 3rd form they noticed after a month or two that there was one extra student....a youth had snuck in the class even though his 3rd form maths was weak. She decided to make him stay and work with him, and the youth got a 1 in CSEC, with straight A profile.

He must be one of them that done the Add Maths this year too , since they all got Grade 1.

Comment

Working...
                  X