X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My contribution to

Garvey.

Thank you King Jawge!!

Excellent reading...excellent admonition.

Hope you and the family are doing well.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Is it just me or are most black people doing the exact OPPOSITE of what is being taught here?

Be of some value to your community

Dont talk before you think

Don't tell your personal business to strangers Look like Ras Buju Banton didn't read Garvey much.

These are the common sense ones and we haven't even pinned those down yet.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I like the simplicity of his writings.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yes sah. Garvey left his lessons for all. How many of us is actually reading his works? Oh Family good man, hope the same for yours. Thanks for asking (manners).

Comment

Well when yuh nuh read and follow hearsey, all manner of evil wi happen.

Wi nuh lub read so we wll be forver be taken for a ride.

Comment

I have listened with interest to his speeches and his speaking style in particular. Always forceful and confident. Seems to have influenced Malcolm X in that regard

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Seems to have influenced Malcolm X in that regard
                Garvey not only seems to have influenced Malcolm X, he did influence him. Malcolm X's parents were staunch Garveyites back in the day. This certainly had an influence on the young Malcolm.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

i know this to be true of his parents....and no doubt there are aspects that mirror garvey's message BUT i was referencing his speaking style.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

"‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

My point was more about today and the information age. How many students in Ja can give a schorlarly paper (devoid of hyperlinks but citing books) on Garvey? What was Garvey's aim and intention?

Comment

Tell us your take...

Comment

Why devoid of hyperlinks but citing books? Suppose the hyperlink is referencing a book?

Comment

Well the porfessors doesn't have the ability (as yet) to decode hyeprlinks. Seeing that post paeprs are still submitted via hard copy. I helped someone with a paper (Art) and the Prof. celearly stated no hperlinks. Only books with authors cited. This way the work can be verified and cited. One in drama asked that you go to the site that checks your paper for plagiarism then submit the report in hard copy.

No links because your work is in hard copy; therefore proper verification. The US standard (MLA) of writing supports this. I think this is good because
                            the student will then a habit of proper verification beyond the the bounds of academics. Given the info age with social media and all.

Comment

Sounds very arcahic to me, insisting on a hard copy submission in this day and age.

Comment

Working...
                              X