Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development Minister states opposition to some stop orders

Development Minister states opposition to some stop orders

The controversy over the issuing of stop orders by some parish councils on developers of hotel projects has taken a new twist.
    Minister of Development, Donald Buchanan, has now entered the fray and is taking Parish Councils to task over what he says has been the hasty issuing of stop orders on hotels under construction.

The Minister says he is particularly concerned about the controversy surrounding action taken against developers of Spanish hotels.

In a statement late on Wednesday, Mr. Buchanan questioned some of the decisions as he says the infractions do not appear to be serious enough to warrant stop orders.

The Minister later told RJR News that while he supports parish councils and regulatory bodies, greater recognition should be given to the repercussions arising from the issuing of stop orders.

He says the Government is aware that the existing approvals process is inefficient and will be taking steps to remedy the problem.

Mr. Buchanan disclosed that the Government plans to table proposals which call for a speedier processing of applications for major construction projects.

In the meantime, the Association of Local Government Authorities, which represents Parish Councils, has fired back at Mr. Buchanan.

The Association says Parish Councils will not bow to pressure from the Government and will continue to take action against developers who operate in breach of the law.

The latest stop order was issued by the St. James Parish Council on the developers of the Riu Hotel two weeks ago.

The Council says it took action as construction was taking place without the requisite approval.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

How yuh mean Bucky? Where dem people yah come from waan issue stop order pon the Spanish people dem? Mek dem know say dat is only for Jamaicans. Who gives a 5hit if the Spanish dem nuh have the requisite approval? Dem a spend dem money!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Some of these Spanish investors need to be collared!

Donald Buchanan - sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

NEPA and the other agencies need to come out and state clearly the breaches they have come across as it relates to these Spanish investors. Let us see exactly what the prsoblem are, if any. The day they do that, trust me, these Spaniards will realise this is not exactly 1492!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          NEPA and the other agencies need to come out and state clearly the breaches they have come across as it relates to these Spanish investors. Let us see exactly what the prsoblem are, if any. The day they do that, trust me, these Spaniards will realise this is not exactly 1492!
          Waan kinda currency di spanish dem a spend? How much is
          €1 again? NEPA and other agencies need fi fall in line. Futhermore, wha size army dem have?

hehehe, yet when local businessmen talk about the unequal treatment meeted out to them, compared to that of foreign investors, people cuss dem.

Yuh think if it was you or I setting up a ting and stop order issue Bucky would give a fock? Well, a you name Mosiah, scratch dat ... Yuh tink if it was me .....?

Comment

Well, the law is on the agencies' side. Let's see who it will shackle!

I still say, however, that the agencies need to get into the 21st century. And apparently, the Spaniards too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We can't blame the spaniards them if the central government a give them greenlight to do anything them want. If we had a rule of law and a decent government then things would not be this way. Why not sit with the hoteliers and the agencies and get all the permits before proceeding and then provide oversight? Instead the Government is saying "go ahead them can't stop you".

I will say I don't support these hotels as tourism is not growing enough and a nuff local hoteliers going to feel it plus watch them bring in a lot of Dominicans to take a lot of the jobs even though they are not more qualified than any Jamaica.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No sass. When di ambassador nuff up himself and come talk crap, yes, wi have a right fi cuss him. Is one ting for the developer to try and get whey wid murder, but di ambassador must try understand what is going on before him run him mouth!

Sass, when Butch employ white people who are not as qualified as Jamaicans, why yuh nuh say sumpten? Is ongle Dominicans yuh worried bout? What yuh say, at least Butch white people dem is Jamaican, right? If Lee Chin can find good black people fi fill him big position dem, why can't Butch?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No sass. When di ambassador nuff up himself and come talk crap, yes, wi have a right fi cuss him. Is one ting for the developer to try and get whey wid murder, but di ambassador must try understand what is going on before him run him mouth!

Sass, when Butch employ white people who are not as qualified as Jamaicans, why yuh nuh say sumpten? Is ongle Dominicans yuh worried bout? What yuh say, at least Butch white people dem is Jamaican, right? If Lee Chin can find good black people fi fill him big position dem, why can't Butch?
                  But mi nuh unnastan yuh..

Di man have a WORLD CLASS brand.. #1 if mi nuh mistaken.. in di World

If Butch Stewart want to hire green men from Ukraine.. dat is his perogative.. is him company..

People who have a problem with that just need to develop a World Class hotel brand and hire only black people to run it.. ah nuh black man time ???

Tyad ah dis broken record argument to ****************.. Manley nevah liberate us and run wheh di white man bout 30 years ago ? Mi tink is dat why PNP running di country fi going on 2 decades ?

The fact that unnuh still be talking bout how much black man in 'White man' company mean seh wi really nuh reach nuh wheh.. revolution and all... what a waste of 30 years..

Comment

Mo mi lick out against the whole Jamaican tourism hierachy pon the forum and them think me a madman.

Let me say most of the $$$$ from tourism don't go to Jamaica. Next thing is the workers are been paid low despite very good service. Next thing is the government and some of the big hotel need to help provide homes for their workers at a price as food, clothes and shelter should be a concern of the owners to get the best workers.

I have seen White people come and take many managerial post that Jamaicans are qualified for. Mo I was trained in hospitality and I still have a degree but I cry cree from that industry as I don't want to be no Martin Luther King. There is a lot of bias and we all know it, many expected me to train as a cook not as a Front Office Manager if you get me.

I have hit out against Butch, the only good thing about him is he provides more training than other hoteliers. Let me ask you how many hotels in Ja have a majority Black Jamaican Management staff? Sometime I just leave it alone as mi know the industry and some hotel have European staff at the head, some American, some South America and put one or two Jamaica at the bottom level of management.

What I think is more energy needs to be given to the smaller hotels who are trying very hard and have mainly Jamaican investors, money stay in Ja and employ Jamaican staff. These hotels need to provide a percentage share to Jamaican staff so they have a say in how thing run but Jamaica and its government don't believe in ownership.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

crap!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

crap!
                        Unnuh gwaan check fi si how much black people in Sandals Executive Management..

30 years after Manley Revolution...

Is mussi dat convince Butch if try di Sandals Whitehouse.. him shoulda did know bettah... hope him learn him lesson..

Business is business.. esoteric profundity cyaan buy bread.. leave dat tuh di PNP to spread 'blackness' throughout.. that is probably why 1 black man on 27 boards..dem not running a business..

Comment

There is one word for it - discrimination and racism

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

dat nuh 2 words?

Comment

There is one word for it - discrimination and racism
                              What is your basis for determining that Butch Stewart is a rascist and practises discrimination based on race ?

The color of his Executive Board ?

If Butch Stewart practises discrimination and racism and at the same time is one of the largest private employers of black people in the country and can develop a world class brand.. tell me where I can find bout 100 of him.. needed badly in yard...

Comment

Working...
                              X