RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Johnny: Seedless Grape Securities Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Johnny: Seedless Grape Securities Inc.

Investing in Jamaica - A Diaspora Perspective
    Your Money
    With Cherryl Hanson-Simpson

Thursday, July 30, 2015

I often receive emails from people living in the Diaspora who express their commitment to this country, and share their concerns for it. Recently, an overseas reader asked me to recommend some investment solutions that would be appropriate for Jamaicans living overseas.

There are several local investment options which can help investors from any country to increase their personal wealth. Licensed investment advisors can help persons to identify their investing objectives and choose suitable investments that are targeted towards accomplishing their goals.

However, I believe that my reader had a more meaningful purpose for seeking to invest in this country. Aside from building wealth, he wanted to see his dollars make a difference in Jamaica. To achieve this, he would also need to look for investments outside of the traditional financial markets.

Many persons of Jamaican heritage have a desire to direct funds into this country to help promote our social and economic development. If you're living in the Diaspora, here are some practical ways for you to invest in Jamaica, which will really stimulate long-term development in this nation...
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Pretty thin advice if you ask me... I suppose if I (someone) wanted concrete advice I'd have to pay a consulting fee. Apart from buying groceries and SUPPORTING clothing, skin care businesses, and charities, all of which seem more like CONSUMPTION, rather than investment in identified ventures where opportunities exist, she pretty much kept her cards to her chest.
    Peter R

Comment

A bet you nuh put your money inna none a dem dem. A so mi know that you a Chatta.

Were you showing something about investment? I fail to see it. Nothing of capital, taxes, expenditure, security, ROE????
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Glad you saw that.

Jamaica is more like a market economy as opposed to one that is planned.

It is a place where everyone seems to be selling. Items from other countries with planned economies, are dumped on local Jamaican for their consumption. Each higgler and local stores sell the same imported things. The country has no manufacturing or service type base; so the investment opportunities are few.

[NOTE: Those same licensed investment consultants must be watched through a third eye....]

I support investment in people. One can start with a small family or some of the other suggestions that the author listed.

Yeah, thin investment advice I agree.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

LOL!!

Johnny how yuh come suh?? Di lady ah show yuh one framewerk fi invest ah yaad....ah yuh fi use yuh wizzy an' fine di right vehicle fi yuhself

Is spoon feed yuh waan peeple spoon feed yuh Johnny???

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

The key paragraphs re her perspectives:

There are several local investment options which can help investors from any country to increase their personal wealth. Licensed investment advisors can help persons to identify their investing objectives and choose suitable investments that are targeted towards accomplishing their goals.

However, I believe that my reader had a more meaningful purpose for seeking to invest in this country. Aside from building wealth, he wanted to see his dollars make a difference in Jamaica. To achieve this, he would also need to look for investments outside of the traditional financial markets.

Comment

Ok sir, I did skim over that part of her article it would appear... the investor who prompted her to write it was not necessarily looking for a great ROI, but rather seeking a way to assist the local economy. So, I suppose from that perspective, supporting mom and pop retailers (even if all importers) and small local entrepreneurs by using their products is one way to assist.

I would imagine that if the investor is magnanimous and altruistic and (immediate) ROI is not necessarily an objective, then investment in EDUCATION is paramount. I posted some stats for HL on Vietnam's performance relative to many developed countries in the PISA tests http://www.oecd.org/pisa/ . Their results which were excellent were as a result of their government making a deliberate investment in education and the teaching profession. If the JA government isn't about to step up, then maybe her advice regarding the charities is not a bad one... it's just finding the right organizations on the ground that can make a difference. that in itself can be a huge challenge I imagine.
              Peter R

Comment

you have to come good, no sideway thing, or backstep. This give nothing to think about.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

She could have added a few more like :

- Invest your time

For example, last year I met a lady who had left Jamaica as a child and was visiting for the first time. She spent a day of her vacation in Negril volunteering at a church that was feeding the homeless. Imagine if there was a movement to get non-resident Jamaicans who are visiting to give a half-day or so doing volunteer work

- Invest Your Skills

Mentorship, giving professional advice in field of expertise, getting involved in organizations that benefit Jamaica.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    She could have added a few more like :

- Invest your time

For example, last year I met a lady who had left Jamaica as a child and was visiting for the first time. She spent a day of her vacation in Negril volunteering at a church that was feeding the homeless. Imagine if there was a movement to get non-resident Jamaicans who are visiting to give a half-day or so doing volunteer work

- Invest Your Skills

Mentorship, giving professional advice in field of expertise, getting involved in organizations that benefit Jamaica.
                    Yes these are important investments in our young and our future. Out of the millions of Jamaicans abroad if we had say 20K skilled professionals mentoring 2-3 kids each with real world skills...that would be a game changer fo' sure

Unfortunately most of us prefer to closely mentor TV/movie garbage and assorted Babylon trinkets...and yap fulsomely about sports & music... embellished with hearty servings of criticism about all that's wrong with JA

Those types I know as...Part of the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      you have to come good, no sideway thing, or backstep. This give nothing to think about.
                      Johnny you have nothing to think about because your orientation is NOT directed to assisting Jamaica's progress

Until and unless that insular mindset is converted to a more evolved people-development focus... you will be unable to see the MANY opportunities to invest your money, time or skills in Jamaica's interest...and where you too will benefit.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Babylon programming please

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                        Ok sir, I did skim over that part of her article it would appear... the investor who prompted her to write it was not necessarily looking for a great ROI, but rather seeking a way to assist the local economy. So, I suppose from that perspective, supporting mom and pop retailers (even if all importers) and small local entrepreneurs by using their products is one way to assist.

I would imagine that if the investor is magnanimous and altruistic and (immediate) ROI is not necessarily an objective, then investment in EDUCATION is paramount. I posted some stats for HL on Vietnam's performance relative to many developed countries in the PISA tests http://www.oecd.org/pisa/ . Their results which were excellent were as a result of their government making a deliberate investment in education and the teaching profession. If the JA government isn't about to step up, then maybe her advice regarding the charities is not a bad one... it's just finding the right organizations on the ground that can make a difference. that in itself can be a huge challenge I imagine.
                        Re the primacy of education you're preaching to the choir...I'm a True Believer in that from Roots to STEM

Comment

"Johnny you have nothing to think about because your orientation is NOT directed to assisting Jamaica's progress."

Chat you yourself. You are such an idiot, straight and plan. That is all you know to do accuse people you don't even know. Keep it to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            "Johnny you have nothing to think about because your orientation is NOT directed to assisting Jamaica's progress."

Chat you yourself. You are such an idiot, straight and plan. That is all you know to do accuse people you don't even know. Keep it to yourself.
                            LOL! Johnny get vex!! Noice!!!

Johnnu yuh too Bad ...wooiiee

Comment

Working...
                            X