X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last,a voice of reason! Investors, agencies & environment

EDITORIAL - Ambassador Silva's investment concerns
    published: Tuesday | June 19, 2007

The concerns expressed by Spain's ambassador to, Mr. Jesús Silva, about the negative impact on investors and their projects when stop orders are issued by parish councils or other regulatory agencies are not without merit. The overlap among regulatory agencies can easily create nightmares for - especially if there is inadequate information at the outset. The ambassador's comments cannot, however, be left to stand in isolation. For while the Jamaican public is appreciative of having projects up and running as quickly as possible, stop orders have usually been issued amid charges by local authorities that existing laws and regulations are being or have been violated.
    In recent years, concerns about the impact of construction projects on the natural environment and the potential safety hazards posed to would-be patrons and employees have been brought into sharp focus. This stems as much from the fact that have become hot button topics for those who are genuinely concerned about all aspects of socio-economic development as to the reality that people are paying more attention to the nexus between these projects and theirs and their children's future quality of life public awareness and by campaigners have forced the Government's regulatory agencies to be more vigilant in how they carry out their duties. Of course, not every campaigner i with some appearing to be far more interested in jumping on to a bandwagon to gain publicity for themselves.
    Nevertheless, with the public being witness to the spectacle of sections of hotel buildings collapsing with at least one fatality and workers sustaining injuries even before construction is halfway through, then occupational and environmental safety cannot be left to chance. Experience does not leave us confident that the assurance of businessmen can be taken at face value. So while it is understandable that Ambassador Silva has a great concern to see that the interests of his compatriots are addressed, local agencies also have a responsibility to Jamaicans first.
    The ambassador also suggested that where investors and regulatory agencies are in dialogue, there is no need for the drastic action of a stop order which ultimately adds to the cost of doing business. Indeed, bureaucracy has long taken a toll on the cost-effectiveness of doing business in Jamaica. But dialogue should be constructive, leading to a resolution rather than serving simply as a means of buying time while regulations are still being violated. Unless there is evidence that new strictures are imposed after construction projects were started, then it is incumbent on investors to familiarise themselves with the country's regulations and for them to comply.
    Being investor-friendly requires that Jamaica provides more than a smooth passage for businesses. It is possible, we believe, for investors to be helped towards a smoother implementation of their projects, for government and municipal agencies to get whatever fees they are due as regulations are complied with, and for patrons of facilities to use them with the full confidence that their safety will not be compromised.
    In an increasingly litigious society, state-sector regulation and monitoring are also part of the cost of doing business. We are sure the ambassador understands this. The need for foreign investment is great, but safety and a holistic management of the environment are of an even greater imperative.

The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.

What role the central goverment play in this? Shouldn't a government agency work with the hotel and make sure they get all the permits required?

I know in the states you have organization such as the the SBA who work with anyone to make sure them get all the necessary required paperwork.

You want tell me man a invest billions and a come a Jamaica fi go a parish council to seek permit? Shouldn't a JAMPRO or whoever deal with that for a fee and get some money in the government pocket? It is all a trick and stick up business where everyman on the corner get fi him little piece and pay off.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I agree with you. The Parish Councils have been so dismantled that they hardly have staff or capacity to deal withthe myriad of issues involved. NEPA doesn't even have it. The question is not so much to get the investment money at any cost but to make sure the rules and laws are kept while the development goes on. JAMPRO unfortunatley steps out of the pic once the tax breaks etc. are given and the commitment is made. This is not the sole ambit of government, however - this is what Environmental Professionals, Project Managers, Lawyers tec. get paid to do.
      The corruption issue is another matter - a sad part of the Jamaican landscape...but not all are corruptible.

Comment

Put yourself in an investor's shoe brethren. You meet with the Minister, MP, PM and opposition and state your opinion, they should just have a one shop that you has to go to and that place get community, environmentalists, the different agencies and is either the project is viable or not.

We understand that but them a go tell we say "a so Jamaica run", and we a foriegner. Nuff of those red tapes could be avoided but because of the infighting and payoff in Ja why these things are happening.

You see what nearly happen to the cockpit country? is a good thing a few people got on to it early.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What "nearly" happen to the Cockpit Country?!? I may be wrong, but on a recent flight back to Jamaica, the pilot took the scenic Cockpit Country route and I could have sworn I saw huge bauxite trucks and earthmoving equipment running around the edges of the Cockpit Country.

I can just imagine all the things that go on that we don't know about. Probably worse in the USA still, under George Bush.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have been there brethren. I KNOW what it is. I have been saddened and disheartened by what I have seen but I have seen worse. Yes, the "one-stop-shop" is aconcept that has been bandied about all too often without implementation. What Jamaica has is 'power brokers' and not institutions. Unless institutions that are involved in development are strengthened, there will be no change and only expediency and politics will guide our development. Having said that, most of these institutions are filled with party hacks - depending on who is in power.....

Comment

Mosiah if people never start lick out you would have no more cockpit country in 5 years time. Truck would not only be on the edge but in the heart of the country.

Nuff bad things happen under Bush but one thing you have to realise and that is there is a way to get all licenses and approval without having to go through the heartache you have to do to invest in Ja.

Comment

Apparently, the Spanish investors have been quite lax with our laws and standards. Having heard some more on the issue, I think the ambassador wrenk to say what he said. Some of those investors need to be told what they can do with their money, or serve some jailtime.

That said, some of our approval agencies need to get their acts in order. They take forever to approve stuff and their entire approval process seems mired in some medieval age.
                Last edited by Mosiah; June 21, 2007, 03:04 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Apparently, the Spanish investors have been quite with our laws and standards. Having heard some more on the issue, I think the ambassador wrenk to say what he said. Some of those investors need to be told what they can do with their money, or serve some jailtime.

That said, some of our approval agencies need to get their acts in order. They take forever to approve stuff and their entire approval process seems mired in some medieval age.
                  Why yuh spoiling Karl 'Massive Investments' party ?

What Karl need to understand is dat beggars cannot be choosers.. not all 'massive investment' is the same.... him evah hear bout Netserv ?

Comment

Working...
                  X