RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been thinking on ways to 'reach' Gamma on education.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been thinking on ways to 'reach' Gamma on education.

But can he be 'reached'?

I think the following should start him and others of like-mind, thinking... Right?

TOWARD A DEFINITION OF CURRICULUM

How, then, may we define curriculum? Referring to Figure 1, it can be noted that formal education, which includes education for life and education for earning a living, represents a vast array of learning activities and experiences. These learning activities and experiences are not merely specific class sessions or courses but extend to or through the entire educational spectrum of a particular school or schools. Within this context, curriculum may be perceived as being rather global in nature and representing a broad range of educational activities and experiences. Thus, curriculum may be defined as the sum of the learning activities and experiences that a student has under the auspices or direction of the school. Acceptance of this generic definition commits the curriculum developer to accept two additional supporting concepts. First, the central focus of the curriculum is the student. In fact, one may interpret this to mean each student has his or her own curriculum. This interpretation is a sound concept, since students often select courses, experiences, and noncredit activities that align with their unique personal needs and aspirations. This fact might be pointed out by asking, "How often can it be found that two students have had exactly the same set of educational experiences?"

A second supporting concept has to do with the breadth of learning experiences and activities associated with a curriculum. Formal courses are not the only items considered to be a part of the curriculum. Clubs, sports, and other co-curricular activities are significant contributors to the development of a total individual and to curriculum effectiveness. Learning and personal growth do not take place strictly within the confines of a classroom or laboratory. Students develop skills and competence through a variety of learning activities and experiences that may not necessarily be counted as constructive credit for graduation. Student career and technical organizations, social dubs, and athletics are but a few of the many experiences that extend beyond the prescribed set of course offerings of a school. These experiences have the power to make contributions to student growth in ways that cannot be accomplished in classroom and laboratory settings.

Accepting the foregoing implies that we must consider a curriculum as encompassing general (academic) education as well as career and technical education. Realistically, whether at the secondary or postsecondary level, the curriculum includes courses and experiences associated with preparation for life and for earning a living. This more global definition of curriculum enables us to consider not only what might be offered in career and technical education, but how those learning activities and experiences should relate to the student's more general studies.

The foregoing concepts also support the notion that a curriculum should focus on developing the whole person. It is not enough to have the curriculum include courses and experiences that are exclusively related to career and technical education. General studies are clearly a part of every curriculum as they serve to provide the student with a broad knowledge base both for life and for earning a living. Likewise, the curriculum builder must keep in mind how general and career and technical studies are intertwined. Life-related content such as mathematics, communication skills, and science is a meaningful contributor to content for earning a living and vice versa. Thus, as the curriculum is being designed and implemented, consideration must be given to how these two content areas may be closely integrated rather than segregated from each other.

http://oak.ucc.nau.edu/mr/cte592/Mod..._Overview.html

Respek, Sir Gamma!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

mi think Gamma highly educated already, no???

Him really fool me
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

?????

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

'Highly'? Dunno about that...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yah mix up Gamma with Historian, Sass!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              ?????
              OK!
              Here goes! - Place of sports, chess, cadets, scouts, etc. in schools! - Naturally thinking on: Importance of same and Effort to be expended to realize maximum benefit for the development of the child to fullest potential!
              Last edited by Karl; July 17, 2015, 02:26 PM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Aren't they already in schools?!!

Comment

Yuh think?
                  He is,and we are smart enough to know it!

Comment

LOL!!!!
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      mi think Gamma highly educated already, no???

Him really fool me
                      I think that would be X... LOL
                      Peter R

Comment

What they're saying is that extra-curricular activities are just as important for a youth's development. Some now use the term co-curricular activities to emphasize the point of their importance.

I think most educators understand this concept. Yes?
                        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                          What they're saying is that extra-curricular activities are just as important for a youth's development. Some now use the term co-curricular activities to emphasize the point of their importance.

I think most educators understand this concept. Yes?
                          ...or put another way the academics, sports and the other activities must be managed with equal professionalism, effort and attention!!! The aim is, the child achieving maximum=fullest potential

YesI! ...development tuh di max!!!

...and...

Re: I think most educators understand this concept

Yes!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X