X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica defends visa decision

published: Tuesday | June 19, 2007

Dionne Rose, Staff Reporter
    The Costa Rican Embassy has attributed the imposition of a visa [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]regime[/COLOR][/COLOR] for Jamaicans entering that country to the protection of its borders.
    Last week, the embassy announced that, effective Friday, June 15, all Jamaicans wishing to travel to the Central American country would need to obtain a visa from the Costa Rican Embassy.
    A spokesperson from the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]embassy[/COLOR][/COLOR] told The Gleaner yesterday that the imposition of the visa was due to security reasons. The spokesperson could not, however, say whether this [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]security[/COLOR][/COLOR] measure was crime-related.
    Meanwhile, the Jamaican Govern-ment said it has not been privy to the reason for the latest move by the Costa Ricans.
    Financial Implications
    Delano Franklyn, State Minister in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, said the Government has taken the decision as is, and would be studying the situation before making a statement on the matter.
    He said the Government was currently in the process of finding out the financial implications it will have on travellers. Up to yesterday, the embassy still could not say what the visa would cost.
    "No Government is ever happy when any country imposes visa restrictions," he told The Gleaner yesterday. "But we have to recognise that it is the right of a country (to impose visa restrictions)."
    The embassy further advised that all persons wishing to enter Costa Rica must have a valid certificate of vaccination against yellow fever. Jamaicans who have a valid visa to enter the United States or countries within Europe are excluded, the embassy said.
    Visa payments must be made to immigration authorities at the port of entry on arrival in Costa Rica. Attempts to determine the level of trafficking between both countries were unsuccessful.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

The whole world shutting us out. We must be a pariah nation to blurtneet!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      The whole world shutting us out. We must be a pariah nation to blurtneet!
      Cho Willi, who cares wha dem waan duh? As Karl would say, "Fahwud tuh the 5th term!!"

We soon hear say Haiti waan implement visa requirements tuh!
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I know no national boundary where the Negro is concerned. The whole world is my province until Africa is free.
        Marcus Garvey

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          I know no national boundary where the Negro is concerned. The whole world is my province until Africa is free.
          Marcus Garvey

As Mosiah entered the immigation area, he went window number 2 and handed over his passport.

Immigation Officer: Good day sir .... huh! There is a problem. Are you aware as a Jamaican a visa is needed to enter this country?

Mosiah: Well I know no boundary where the negro is concerned. The whole world is my province until Africa is free. Garvey say dat.

Immigation Officer: Well I'm putting on that plane back to Jamaica ... if you see Garvey, tell him that I sent you back to Jamaica.

Comment

Is di big man yuh a mek fun of bredren?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You call it making fun ... I see it as keeping it real.

Comment

Just remember fi inform the JFF cause them seems to have problems with Visas too often.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Marcus Garvey
                  Nuh dat mi put pon mi Visa application.. all now mi cyaan get nuh response..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    You call it making fun ... I see it as keeping it real.
                    Real dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                      Real dumb.
                      If yuh say suh. Which immigration officer gonna allow entry to anyone without a visa reciting that quote. Unuh fooling unuhselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X