X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge oilfield discovered in Ghana

Huge oilfield discovered in Ghana

Foreign firms are increasingly looking to Africa for oil

UK firm Tullow Oil has announced the discovery of 600 million barrels of light oil offshore from Ghana.
    Reserves in the Mahogany exploration well were far greater than the 250 million barrels than the firm had earlier forecast, it said.
    Tullow - which saw its shares rise 10% on the news - jointly owns the West Cape block where the drilling took place with Anadarko Petroleum.
    The firms share rights to the adjacent Tano basin, which could yield more oil.
    With oil as a shot in the arm, we're going to fly

John Kufuor, President of Ghana

"Based on evidence to date, ultimate reserves are likely to be materially in excess of previous estimates, with some high potential zones still to be drilled," said Tullow chief executive Aidan Heavey.

He said it was one of the biggest oil discoveries in Africa in recent times, but warned it could be up to seven years before the oil started to flow.
    'Boost to economy'
    Ghana's President John Kufuor told the BBC that the discovery would give a major boost to Ghana's economy.
    "Oil is money, and we need money to do the schools, the roads, the hospitals. If you find oil, you manage it well, can you complain about that?
    "Even without oil, we are doing so well, already. Now, with oil as a shot in the arm, we're going to fly," he said.
    Tullow Oil holds a 22.9% stake in the West Cape Three Points licence and just under 50% in the Deepwater Tano licence.
    The move comes as foreign firms are increasingly tapping into Africa for oil.
    Tullow shares closed up more than 12% on the news in trading in London.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Most of the Jamaican slaves came from Ghana. We deserve a cut of the profits.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

rhatid bwoy mi friends from Ghana just went back home. Not that them wanted for anything from birth, but as civil engineer him only a go richer, I might just have fi consider the "back to Africa movement"

Mo what the Rasta Party a gwaan wid? Them still want save Ja or a the back to Africa thing?
      Last edited by Assasin; June 19, 2007, 08:31 AM.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I hope when oil is discovered in Jamaica we won't all feel like coming back home. Not that we don't want you here, but there are too many examples of oil rich countries that have serious poverty. I don't think Jamaica will change fundamentally. The rich will get richer, and the farin companies involved, but for the inner city resident, not a ting will change.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True,

It may even get worse!

Comment

Mo as I said be before we giving away the oil even before we find it so nuh look for nothing to change.

Until our economy is manage properly we will make no difference.

You can look for me to visit every so often but there is no coming back for me for the next 10-15 years right now.

A few years ago it may have been different but right now I have too much going on to even think of living in Ja yah now.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
            X