I guess I was wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I was wrong

on this one. I was convinced that the politicians in South Carolina would find a way to keep the flag flying. I must say I am certainly surprised.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I'm a bit surprised with the speed at which it all happened, but look what's happening in other parts of the country, including Congress.

I'm concerned that the flag is being removed for the wrong reasons. All well and good to honour the 9, but the flag should not have been there in the first place! Kinda reminds me of how many euphoric Americans would have wanted Bush to bomb any Arab country after 911. We must take down the flag for the right reason!

And that should only be the beginning of a real conversation, truth and reconciliation type talk, on slavery, and preparing for the reparations that must occur!
    Last edited by Mosiah; July 11, 2015, 10:11 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sometimes you have to take the opportunity when it is presented. Waiting for it to come down for the "right" reason could take another 25 years.

I think now people will now look back 10 years from now and wonder how it stayed up there so long and why it took a racial massacre to take it down. History is funny that way, what seemed inevitable looking back was anything but while it was unfolding.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Island,way back when Obama just won his presidency ,I remarked america is facing up to its racial demons by electing its 1st African American president, since then we have seen subtle and explicit racial hatred come to the fore like we have never seen since the 60s(not like it) but vivid reminders.Obama presidency has basically ripped the mask off its racial hypocrisy, in every facet, from its criminal shitstem, political repression and economic , social and educational dysfunction.

The murder of those martys is as Bob says us full filling the book, songs of freedom.America will never be the same again post Obama, it will be better because of him and history will record it.

The confederate flag coming down is very significant in that African blood took it down , as it was African blood that was the pretext to go to war for the symbolizing of white supremacy to be abolished a 100 plus years ago.

People need to be very perceptive of the power and significance of an African American as president,the symbolizem alone has made america ask itself a 1000 questions and put forth 10 times that in historical answers.I believe America is the better for it because it was brave enough to elect that man to begin to ask itself necessary racial questions.America is maturing.

My president.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          I'm a but surprised with the speed at which it all happened, but look what's happening in other parts of the country, including Congress.

I'm concerned that the flag is being removed for the wrong reasons. All well and good to honour the 9, but the flag should not have been there in the first place! Kinda reminds me of how many euphoric Americans would have wanted Bush to bomb any Arab country after 911. We must take down the flag for the right reason!

And that should only be the beginning of a real conversation, truth and reconciliation type talk, on slavery, and preparing for the reparations that must occur!
          Time to face up to reality...

The average American is VERY dumb concerning matters of importance... But VERY expert on garbage e.g. TV shows, movies & what "celebrities" are doing, consuming excessively...and all the mess of popular trash that occupies most people's brain power

A dumb population is horrible when a country is as small & inconsequential e.g. JA

When a country is rich, powerful and considers itself the lord of all it surveys...a dumb population spell disaster for much of the world. That's because a dumb population cannot stem the misdeeds & corruption of their ruling elites...at home or abroad. So such misdeeds are not merely enabled...they're worn as a badge of honor

That's US (and us) in AD 2015
          Last edited by Don1; July 10, 2015, 09:56 AM.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yes i would agree with most of that.

I would add that as contradictary as it sounds, a rise in racial confrontations and explicit hatred is a typical occurence in the USA when the status quo is being challenged. It happened in the late 1800s during the reconstruction period after slavery, it happened in the early 1900s when the UNIA and NAACP were gaining momemtum, it happened in the 1960s when the civil rights and black power movements were at their zenith.

For that reason I expect to see the KKK and other white supremist groups recruiting more and being more active in the months ahead. To me that doesn't mean racial progress made in the past is being eroded, it means things are moving forward, though admittedly never fast enough for most of us.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

pleasantly so.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

the irony is not lost on my that roof wanted to start a race war but in fact the opposite has occurred.

thought must be given to the response of the family of the deceased and one has to wonder if the flag would have been removed if the response was looting or marches etc.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I hear you, but it's because the USA has never just sat down and dealt with the race issue and the necessary reparations why we have to take advantage of these small developments during the rare opportunities that present themselves every generation.

The burning issue right now is mass incarceration of black men as a result of that ridiculous War on Drugs. Maybe Obama needs to start that discussion by pardoning several thousands who were locked up because of that entirely racist "war".

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It must be a sad day for this fellow, giving his final salute at T minus 4 hours this morning.

Oh well at least he can keep dressing up in his Rebel Soldier uniform at the re-enactments each year,

Comment

What do you think labelling ganja as a public health issue was ,the disproportionate incarcenations and sentencing that he has spoken about was/is ? the mere uttering of that from the highest office in the world ,not just america has moved many to question and free up the weed,only for those that freed it up to continue the advocacy,where was /is the JFJ ?

In adda words im fly di gate !

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The JFJ is no more. What are you going to do about it?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That was low

Comment

Obama to visit Prison

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...justice-reform

Comment

I'm hoping Obama will be handed the keys to many of the prison cells and that he will, with as much ceremony as we witnessed during the removal of that eediat flag, open the doors and free hundreds of our young men who should never have been sent to prison in the first place. Start the pardon from now, Barack! Who waan vex can bex!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X