RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Race! (HL may know the writer. Islandman definitely should!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race! (HL may know the writer. Islandman definitely should!)

WILL WE OVERCOME?

By Richard McCulloch

When 18th Century writer and philosopher Voltaire mused “Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable,” I feel as though he was manifesting prophetic foresight into the current state of race relations in our country.

The so-called “post-racial” society that was supposed to be the byproduct of a young senator from Chicago ascending to the Office of the President, has been anything but a new day for racial tolerance and a kinder, gentler American humanity.

Like so many African Americans, and others that value unconditional human decency and equal justice under the law, I am desperate for real progress. For too long, those of us that cling to the optimistic reality of a truly United States have been left emotionally exasperated. Our collective optimism has remained unrealized despite the hopeful refrains of Dr. King’s dream resonating throughout the Mall in Washington in 1963. Despite the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, it has become clear that mandatory racial tolerance and the concept of loving thy neighbor cannot be legislated.

By nature, I am an eternal optimist. For many who know me, I am optimistic to a fault when it comes to assuming the best about anyone with whom I interact. In recent years, however, a fair share of my innate optimism has been replaced with a significant dose of skepticism when it comes to evaluating our country’s ability to overcome our legacy of racism and inequality.

The young senator whom I referenced earlier – our President, Barack Obama – has been slurred and maligned like no other President in history. From media pundits to members of the political opposition, Obama-bashing has been often characterized with blatant race-based attacks and coded slander devoid of any intelligent policy discourse.

Indicted from the earliest stages of his campaign for having a Muslim name, and later being harassed by the so called “Birthers” to prove his citizenship, President Obama has been called everything from a “raghead” to a “chimpanzee.” With American Senators and members of our country’s law enforcement finding it so easy to use these derogatory terms in reference to our nation’s Chief Executive, is it any surprise that officials in countries like North Korea have taken the cue and joined in the chorus of disrespect by referring to our president as a “monkey?”

The President’s grace in not directly addressing this cacophony of ignorance has been inspirational in allowing me to maintain some semblance of hope that “this too shall pass.” This hope was once again challenged with the rash of incidents in which unarmed people of color seemed to become the victims of choice for civilian vigilantes and certain members of the law enforcement community. This 21st Century social regression harkens back to some of the darkest times in our history, and has been ironically chronicled via the modern technology of camera phone videos, and instigated further through the contemporary platform of social media reminders that “Black Lives Matter.”

As I packed my suitcase on the night of June 18, 2015 to catch an early morning flight to Charleston, South Carolina, my mood was light and happy as I anticipated my arrival in the Low Country to celebrate my aunt’s 90th birthday. It was then that the Breaking News started to stream across my television. A lone shooter had targeted the Wednesday night bible study at the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal church in downtown Charleston.

http://www.sfltimes.com/opinion/will-we-ever-overcome
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Good piece.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I'm sure Historian had tea with him just this morning!

As the City of Charleston coalesced in the aftermath of the church shooting, the images of multi-ethnic gatherings and comfort circles dominated the airwaves. No riots or looting, just citizens embracing the social imperfections of our American tapestry while allowing love and compassion to begin the healing.
      We should ask ourselves if this could have happened in a northern or western city, like LA? If not, what makes those cities different from Charleston?

Could it be that this was the event that finally proves to the naysayers that America’s racial issues are real and not just a figment of the collective African-American mindset?
      Did this act by Roof prove that racism still exists?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know the name but no the individual.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

that quote from Voltaire epitomises professor pangloss who reminds me of some of our politicians. the main difference being that pangloss seemed to actually believe what he was sayinf. more infidelity for you.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yuh fambily
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Good observation but brings a wry smile as one wonders about the politicians... Astute observation, boss.

Comment

Working...
              X