RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Male Harmony in Jamaican music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
    Yes but how does it qualify as harmonizing?
    Leave it alone I'man.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Harmony as the traditionalist in us know it stop long time ago.
      Harmony was something people specialized in. You had groups who specialized in harmony and was in sync, in tune, and sound good.

In modern Rand B, Hip Hop and Reggae and Dancehall, harmony is getting a decent singer in the studio to add a few lines of harmony to the song, or the orginal singer if they can hold a note add a different track. Gone are the days when Dennis Brown a harmonize on Bob Marley record, gone are the days when JC Lodge, Nadine Sutherland and others doing harmony in the studio. Gone are the days when you have Harmony groups in sync and in step on stage shows.

Dancehall harmony is Chaka Demus and plyers, Tonto Metro and Devonte, usually a DJ and a singer trying to ketch a note. You have a few groups like TOK and LUST who can hold their own but it is few and far between in today's music.

Di truth a di truth, make no sense we argue over it.

Tell me where you can find this ya kind of Harmony nowadays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhTM0Lar3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aiNXCqYj8

Home T may have been the last good Harmony group.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Harmony as the traditionalist in us know it stop long time ago.
        Harmony was something people specialized in. You had groups who specialized in harmony and was in sync, in tune, and sound good.

In modern Rand B, Hip Hop and Reggae and Dancehall, harmony is getting a decent singer in the studio to add a few lines of harmony to the song, or the orginal singer if they can hold a note add a different track. Gone are the days when Dennis Brown a harmonize on Bob Marley record, gone are the days when JC Lodge, Nadine Sutherland and others doing harmony in the studio. Gone are the days when you have Harmony groups in sync and in step on stage shows.

Dancehall harmony is Chaka Demus and plyers, Tonto Metro and Devonte, usually a DJ and a singer trying to ketch a note. You have a few groups like TOK and LUST who can hold their own but it is few and far between in today's music.

Di truth a di truth, make no sense we argue over it.

Tell me where you can find this ya kind of Harmony nowadays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhTM0Lar3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aiNXCqYj8

Home T may have been the last good Harmony group.
        Truly excellent submission Assasin!!

How could I forget The Congos and Wailing Souls. I am positive Historian will approve.
        Last edited by HL; July 3, 2015, 02:43 PM.

HL

Comment

mi memory spotty ... there was a group of singing doctors called "Casual T" if memory serves me right there were decent too as was a the blind group called "inner vision"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah the group Casual T was good, They had limited recording and was more of a performing group. I am trying to remember any recording from inner vision but coming up with nothing.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I would add mighty diamonds,slim smith and techniques.All Xcellent in my opinion.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                Supercat ,nicodemus,and junior demus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Ry5cUCOT4

Supercat nicodemus and tenor saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAK7zvSZFqg

But i like the tamlins and paragons in their genre.
                X. PLEASE delete this post before Historian returns.

Thanks in advance:

HL

Comment

Thank you Gamma. I was trying my best to remember the name of that group.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Thanks Very Much For Your Input, Gentlemen!

Thank you, gentlemen for the invaluable input you have made. I’m just replying because it took me a while to listen to all the YouTube links submitted.

Before I go any further, let me state with full certainty that gospel music (both local and foreign) has always had the most impressive harmony singers! I have heard gospel harmonies that are so good, so precise, that tears literally come to my eyes!

Then there is R&B. Groups like the Platters, the Stylistics, etc. are superb examples of male harmony at its very best (the Platters included one female)! I will never ever forget the first time I heard the amazing group Take 6! These Seventh Day Adventist guys (Take 6) moved beyond the traditional three-part harmony and gave us four-part harmonies!! The sound of a ninth chord, for example, by an a capella group freaked me out!

This matter of balanced harmony is a serious one, and does NOT change with the changes in music. For example, just a week or two ago I was listening to a solo effort by one of Rihanna’s backup (harmony) singers, and this lady simply blew me away!!! She is, without question, one of the best singers I’ve heard in recent times, but all she mainly does at the moment is sing behind a much lesser talent, Rihanna!!

Finally, my opinion is that harmony in Jamaican music has NEVER been one of the high points of the various elements that comprise our ska, rocksteady and reggae. There are countless examples of backup singers who barely manage to stay in key, and this is sad. But it is what it is. The good thing is that there are many examples of outstanding harmonies, some of which have been presented in this thread.

So once again, thanks most sincerely in the interest shown in this thread.

(P.S. The person who mentioned Inner Vision: I think that this group of singers was closely linked with Fab 5 Inc.)

Comment

"the person..." but a whey di???!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

'who shall remain nameless' LOL.

Comment

I am speaking as a non musician, Melodians and the The Wailing Wailers.

Comment

Islandman,is Ras Carbi's Country deserving too?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                              Islandman,is Ras Carbi's Country deserving too?
                              So Rockman ,what you think bout Nicodemus, Super Cat and Junior Demous?

Thanks in advance.

HL

Comment

Well one would think your opinion of Sean Paul and Buju mirrors your opinion of Super Cat and Nicodemus.
                                It is not at all complicated,Super Cat and Nicodemus are pioneers of sorts ..,and as such are icons.

Comment

Working...
                                X