RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be a law against 'saggy pants' in Jamaica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should there be a law against 'saggy pants' in Jamaica?

BY RUTH HOWARD Sunday Observer writer editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, June 17, 2007

MEN with trousers dropped way below their waists, exposing boxers, briefs and butt-cracks are a common sight today, especially among young men who are trying to keep up with the latest hip hop fashion trends.
    However, there are many Jamaicans who are repulsed by this sort of dress.

A lot of men, particularly younger men, wear their pants low on their hips, revealing their undergarments. (Photo: Taneisha Lewis)
    "It's not appropriate, it doesn't look right, it's not gentleman-like. It's definitely unacceptable for most of the population," said Deanroy Edwards, a 23-year-old technician.
    Shaneek Sewell, a 19-year-old student from Oberlin High, added, "I don't find it attractive. I think the persons who do these things are mostly like the uneducated in society."
    Some people even believe that overly saggy pants are a sign of homosexuality.
    "That is a sodomite principle, because your pants supposed to be up at your waist," said 43-year-old street vendor Robert Stuart.
    According to an internet article, "Small History of Baggy Pants" by 'Junebug' on groovetickets.com, "As a style, baggy and loose-fitting clothing has always been associated with the derelicts and bohemians of society. Hobos, transients, and the homeless are usually portrayed as having baggy clothing." Junebug went on to say that "baggy clothing can be seen as an affront to polite society".
    So, should there be a law against 'saggy pants' in Jamaica?
    There are many Jamaicans who agree with the principle of having a law.
    "I'm not going to say it's going backwards," commented political ombudsman Herro Blair. However, he added that modesty cannot be legalised: "It comes from the heart... we just have to go back to our morals."
    "Legislation can have a place but it does not solve the problem, because you can't legislate a way of thinking. You have to educate before you legislate. And at the same time, the punishment must not exceed the crime," said Reverend Al Miller, president of Whole Life Ministries.
    Miller added that while fashion trends must be respected, they ought to be principle-centred: "You want to look good, but it must not be at the expense of decency."
    Designer Carlton Brown disagreed with the idea of having a law against overly saggy pants. "I wouldn't go to the extreme of fining anyone or putting anyone in prison, but I think it's something you can talk about. I mean, I don't wear my pants at my waist, but at the same time, my underwear doesn't show either."
    He described wearing overly saggy pants as "an unclean venture", and said it was just a phase for young guys, which most of them will eventually grow out of.
    "If there is no code of dress, then we should release the people," said one police officer. "If you outlaw the man pants a drop a ground, you should outlaw carnival [too]. You cannot deprive people of freedom of choice," the officer added.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Law or no law, dem not coming into my house dressed like that It name underwear so me nuh see why it have to show.
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      BY RUTH HOWARD Sunday Observer writer editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
      Sunday, June 17, 2007

MEN with trousers dropped way below their waists, exposing boxers, briefs and butt-cracks are a common sight today, especially among young men who are trying to keep up with the latest hip hop fashion trends.
      However, there are many Jamaicans who are repulsed by this sort of dress.
      A lot of men, particularly younger men, wear their pants low on their hips, revealing their undergarments. (Photo: Taneisha Lewis)
      "It's not appropriate, it doesn't look right, it's not gentleman-like. It's definitely unacceptable for most of the population," said Deanroy Edwards, a 23-year-old technician.
      Shaneek Sewell, a 19-year-old student from Oberlin High, added, "I don't find it attractive. I think the persons who do these things are mostly like the uneducated in society."
      Some people even believe that overly saggy pants are a sign of homosexuality.
      "That is a sodomite principle, because your pants supposed to be up at your waist," said 43-year-old street vendor Robert Stuart.
      According to an internet article, "Small History of Baggy Pants" by 'Junebug' on groovetickets.com, "As a style, baggy and loose-fitting clothing has always been associated with the derelicts and bohemians of society. Hobos, transients, and the homeless are usually portrayed as having baggy clothing." Junebug went on to say that "baggy clothing can be seen as an affront to polite society".
      So, should there be a law against 'saggy pants' in Jamaica?
      There are many Jamaicans who agree with the principle of having a law.
      "I'm not going to say it's going backwards," commented political ombudsman Herro Blair. However, he added that modesty cannot be legalised: "It comes from the heart... we just have to go back to our morals."
      "Legislation can have a place but it does not solve the problem, because you can't legislate a way of thinking. You have to educate before you legislate. And at the same time, the punishment must not exceed the crime," said Reverend Al Miller, president of Whole Life Ministries.
      Miller added that while fashion trends must be respected, they ought to be principle-centred: "You want to look good, but it must not be at the expense of decency."
      Designer Carlton Brown disagreed with the idea of having a law against overly saggy pants. "I wouldn't go to the extreme of fining anyone or putting anyone in prison, but I think it's something you can talk about. I mean, I don't wear my pants at my waist, but at the same time, my underwear doesn't show either."
      He described wearing overly saggy pants as "an unclean venture", and said it was just a phase for young guys, which most of them will eventually grow out of.
      "If there is no code of dress, then we should release the people," said one police officer. "If you outlaw the man pants a drop a ground, you should outlaw carnival [too]. You cannot deprive people of freedom of choice," the officer added.
      No law!
      Parents and the kids...the entire society needs to step up in being organised and disciplined...untidy behaviour discouraged...tasteful behaviour encouraged!
      Last edited by Karl; June 18, 2007, 10:41 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

True and simple! I bet they don't wear them when they going for an interview. The worst thing is when 30-something and older men feel they should follow the style.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Wearing the White Trunks With Schlitz Stains....."

I saw that yesterday. Unfortunately, the underwear that was exposed had designer skid marks.

Comment

Bruce - your poor eyes
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
            X