• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress code limits entry to court building

LETTER OF THE DAY - Dress code limits entry to court building
    published: Monday | June 18, 2007

The Editor, Sir:
    Are you and the citizens of our country aware that they cannot enter our Supreme Court building in [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Kingston[/COLOR][/COLOR] unless they are 'properly attired'. Can you just imagine the untold hardship and cost to citizens travelling from all over [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] to conduct business in the Supreme Court only to be told on arrival that they cannot enter the building as they are not 'properly dressed'.
    Recently, I went to visit some friends who work at the Supreme Court in Kingston. At the entrance, the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]security[/COLOR][/COLOR] person informed my wife that she could not enter the building as she had on a sleeveless [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]blouse[/COLOR][/COLOR]. "And you" - referring to me - "will have to tuck your shirt in your pants to come in". As an over-fifty-year-old grandfather, one who has walked the corridors of the Supreme Court for years, many years ago, I felt offended and saddened by this event.
    I pointed out to the 'gatekeeper' that I was going to the office, not into the courtroom. She said, "This makes no difference to me". (No discretion.)
    My wife was elegantly dressed, wearing a blouse partially opened down the sleeves and pants, that back in the day we would say she was expecting a flood. I was wearing jeans and a Polo shirt - made to be worn outside the pants.
    I pointed out to Miss 'follow the rules' someone in the building wearing a sports jersey outside of his pants. Her response was, "That no have anything to do with me, anybody passing my post will have to follow the rules."
    This person was making up her own rules retucking my shirt (made to be worn outside) in my pants. I asked if I was wearing a kariba if I would have totuck it in also. Her response was the usual "you have to fallow the rules".
    Mandatory
    I agree that we should have an appropriate dress code for the entering our courts. On the other hand, I believe also that the same rule should not encompass/apply to the whole Supreme Court building. Should anyone enter the court inappropriately dressed, the police officers in court would ask that person to leave. We left without seeing our friends (sorry Mr. D and Mrs. La)
    In front of the Supreme Court I counted at least 12 women all seeming to be waiting for someone that had entered the building. They too, I surmised, from the way they were dressed, could not enter the Supreme Court building as their raiment offended the sensibility of the rule makers. (Ginned up with power.)
    In short order, I would hope that Mr. Nicholson, the Justice Minister, or our new Supreme Court Chief Justice, the Hon. Mrs. Zaila McCalla, would revisit these draconian rules (set by men, some, who really hate women) and put in place a dress code with rules that make sense for entering our Supreme Court building.
    I am, etc.,
    AUTHNEL REID
    authnel_reid@merck.com
    Middlesex, NJ Via Go-Jamaica

More Letters

E-mail this story

Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Hahaaaaaaaa - I wish there was more persons like this one on duty!! Yuh nah get eena my court house dressed any kind a way!!
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Couple things at play here - first it is the nonsensical dress codes they have for our courts that make no adjustment for 20th century styles, say nothing of 21st century! If one would show up in knickerbockers and King Henry VIII blouse, I'm sure it would be no problem.

The second factor at play is the security-guard mentality that says, listen, yuh haffi guh past me (and mi dog, in some cases), suh mi nuh bizniz a who you. Is me run tings round 'ere. Furthermore, mi too dumb and illiterate fi tink misself, but guess wha, is me run tings round 'ere!

They should just put up a sign - burqas only (male and female)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

One good thing - me nuh think him gwine allow this dress code to pass him

- Langston Hughes

Comment

Paris Hylton better not get arrested in Jamaica
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

dat's more like undress code!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
            X