No announcement yet.

Bienvenido a Jamaica, Senor Ambassador!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bienvenido a Jamaica, Senor Ambassador!

This is the land where strikes abound, where our unions are willing to lock shop at the drop of a hat, where tanker drivers must get their own way, or they lock down the country, where people block roads even if it means their own children won't get to school to sit exams.

Stop for Jesús' sake! - Halting hotel construction costing millions, says envoy
    published: Monday | June 18, 2007

Claudine Housen, Staff Reporter

SILVA
    WESTERN BUREAU:
    Spain's Ambassador to Jamaica, Jesús Silva, said the nation's parish councils need to be more mindful of the signals sent when they issue stop orders on hotel construction worksites.
    "The parish councils have to be aware that giving a stop order is a very grave decision because it costs millions (of dollars) to the companies," he said.
    "One of the things that we are all working on is that Jamaica wants to be an investment-friendly country, so giving stop orders to a site is something that does not help at all for the investment-friendly climate of the country."
    Breaches
    The problem of stop orders emerged early this year when the Spanish-owned Fiesta Hotel, at Point Estate in Lucea, Hanover, was cited with some nine building-permit breaches by the Hanover Parish Council. This precedent was then followed by the St. James Parish Council when they placed a stop order and subsequent enforcement notice on the 701-room ClubHotel Riu at Mahoe Bay in Montego Bay.
    "(These are) very extreme positions that parish councils have to think over before they take because it is a very bad image for the investment climate," the ambassador said.
    "We have agreed after the problems were raised in Fiesta that there would be a constructive process of dialogue, where all the agencies and companies and contractors would be speaking with each other."
    Speaking specifically concerning the Fiesta group, Silva said that it was impossible that there would not be problems on-site with a workforce of more than 2,000 persons. He said the important thing is that problems raised are being addressed.
    "There is no reason to give a stop order to the site because they are dialoguing and the problems are being revised," he said, adding, "it is important that there is this constructive attitude towards the investors of trying to help them, not trying to stop them. "I think the Government and the Opposition both are making a very big effort to encourage the investment-friendly climate of Jamaica. The presence of these companies is already a result of this climate, so I think that being investment-friendly is not only bringing over the investors, there has to be a true spirit of partnership in the whole process," Ambassador Silva added.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Hush Senor

The ongle time we RUSH is when we Strike or Block Road
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

If they break the law, use the stop order! Or at least the threat of. This p u ssyfooting in the name of 'investment climate" means double standards. Too often our Governments bend over backward for foreign companies even when local companies are doing the same thing without the benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        If they break the law, use the stop order! Or at least the threat of. This p u ssyfooting in the name of 'investment climate" means double standards. Too often our Governments bend over backward for foreign companies even when local companies are doing the same thing without the benefits.
        But a wha duh Exile? Since when unuh expect local companies fi get the same treatment as a farin company? But .... unuh think a di real world unuh a talk bout? kiss teet!
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

They all should be treated equally. But many times there is no need for stop orders. Some people are too quick to want to stop the job when really there is no need.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

They have no idea about productivity and what time wasting is about.

Them will walk up early and come fight fi the job but when them get it them come late and then strike. Ahbwoy.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

A colleague of mine had this to say:
              "What an unfortunate, arrogant and intemperate statement - as if the hotels were not behaving irresponsibly! Riu Mahoe Bay started construction without all their permissions in place"!

Comment

I think the first thing that needs to take place is a total overhaul of our agencies that grant licences to build, from NEPA, parish councils, etc. They act at snail's pace and the world refuses to wait on them. They better fall in line, and quickly!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  I think the first thing that needs to take place is a total overhaul of our agencies that grant licences to build, from NEPA, parish councils, etc. They act at snail's pace and the world refuses to wait on them. They better fall in line, and quickly!
                  Well, as one man said ... remove the red tape. If unuh interested .... unuh know wha fi duh.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I don't see a change of govt. making any difference in this regard. Would be great if it happens, but I don't expect it one bit. It's a cultural thing. I guess we need a cultural revolution.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, Shaw and Golding are adamant that they would remove the red tape. As a people we have that to hold against them if dem nuh deliver.

I don't get it. A set of clowns in power for 18 years and have no idea what to do. The opposition has been pointing out the ills and indicating how they would fix the problem and all unuh want to do is assume they won't dweet? A wha duh unuh as a people iyah?

Comment

Relax, iyah. Does my statement mean that no one will give them a chance to mess up?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"I don't see a change of govt. making any difference in this regard"

You jumping to conclusion there. If and when dem nuh dweet then..

Is not only you! Call a bredren fi hail him up fi faada's day and him a tell mi say him know say the JLP cyaan duh no better. When mi read off various data fi him ... he got honest .. "Bwoy Lazie .... mi rather sink wid Portia!"

Comment

Don't lump us all in one boat.

Should I prove that the JLP will not do anything about the red tape?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Don't lump us all in one boat.

Should I prove that the JLP will not do anything about the red tape?
                              How are you going to prove the future? All you can do is point to what they are proposing.

Comment

Working...
                              X