Bought Tamrind from Thailand ,labelled Jamaican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought Tamrind from Thailand ,labelled Jamaican

So i googled up and look what i found, interesting.

amaican tamarind (or Jamaican tamarindus indica) from a curved brown bean-Jamaican tamarind pod from the Jamaican tamarind tree. The Jamaican tamarind pod contains a sticky Jamaican tamarind pulp enclosing one to ten shiny black Jamaican tamarind seeds. It is the Jamaican tamarind pulp that is used as a flavoring for its sweet, sour, Jamaican tamarind fruity aroma and taste. It is available as a pressed fibrous slab, or as a jam like bottled concentrate, and some Indian shops carry the dried Jamaican tamarind pods. The Jamaican tamarind is native to tropical East Africa. It is extensively cultivated in tropical areas of the world. Sometime during the sixteenth century, it was introduced in Jamaica and today is widely grown across the country. The Jamaican tamarind fruit is known by several different names, in Spanish it is Jamaican tamarindo; in French, tamarin, in Dutch and German, Jamaican tamarinde, and in Italian, tamarandizio. The name "Jamaican tamarind" with a qualifying adjective is often applied to other members of the family Leguminous having somewhat similar foliage.

http://www.getjamaica.com/Jamaican%2...20Tamarind.asp
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Re: Tamarinds

Tamarinds with similar qualities are found throughout the Caribbean. As far as I’m aware, every Caribbean island has tamarind trees.

Originally posted by X View Post
    So i googled up and look what i found, interesting.

amaican tamarind (or Jamaican tamarindus indica) from a curved brown bean-Jamaican tamarind pod from the Jamaican tamarind tree. The Jamaican tamarind pod contains a sticky Jamaican tamarind pulp enclosing one to ten shiny black Jamaican tamarind seeds. It is the Jamaican tamarind pulp that is used as a flavoring for its sweet, sour, Jamaican tamarind fruity aroma and taste. It is available as a pressed fibrous slab, or as a jam like bottled concentrate, and some Indian shops carry the dried Jamaican tamarind pods. The Jamaican tamarind is native to tropical East Africa. It is extensively cultivated in tropical areas of the world. Sometime during the sixteenth century, it was introduced in Jamaica and today is widely grown across the country. The Jamaican tamarind fruit is known by several different names, in Spanish it is Jamaican tamarindo; in French, tamarin, in Dutch and German, Jamaican tamarinde, and in Italian, tamarandizio. The name "Jamaican tamarind" with a qualifying adjective is often applied to other members of the family Leguminous having somewhat similar foliage.

http://www.getjamaica.com/Jamaican%2...20Tamarind.asp

Comment

Wow, I did not realize that. I know the Spaniards brought it to Jamaica and at some point many of the avenues in Spanish town had huge tamarinds trees lining the road.

Comment

I was fascinated on how it became labelled jamaican, i always thought it was associated with india,not africa,but hey ,i can only guess, whoever brought it to jamaica overly populated the island with it, and then exported it around the world.

Suh wi large,sounds like our history of migration.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yeah, Jamaica was truly a crossroads for world trade and a real jump off point for the Spanish in their American conquests. Other one like that is Sorrel which is also called jamaica hibiscus which is originally from India but throughout Latin America and especially in Mexico it is called flor de jamaica or flower of jamaica or simply called Jamaica.

The funny riddle me this question I am always posing that surprise some people is which country first started speaking Spanish was it Mexico, Peru, jamaica or Colombia, that is always jamaica by many years, the only ones that could truly be said to pbe possibly before would be DR and PR with Cuba and jamaica probably about the same time. Of course this is simple general knowledge and history but apparently most people have little of that.

Comment

Yep

Comment

Just a Question

I’m not sure why you say Jamaica when the fact is that Christopher Columbus visited Hispaniola some two years or so before landing in Jamaica. Remember forts La Navidad and Isabella in Hispaniola? Likewise, the Spanish concentrated on Hispaniola first of all (remember the economically successful years of Nicolas de Ovando between 1502 – 1508?).

I’m not saying you are wrong, but I’m simply querying your reason for choosing Jamaica. There was much less settlement in Jamaica when compared with gold-rich Mexico (under Cortes and his Conquistadores) and silver-rich Peru (under Pizarro and his Conquistadores).

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
              Yeah, Jamaica was truly a crossroads for world trade and a real jump off point for the Spanish in their American conquests. Other one like that is Sorrel which is also called jamaica hibiscus which is originally from India but throughout Latin America and especially in Mexico it is called flor de jamaica or flower of jamaica or simply called Jamaica.

The funny riddle me this question I am always posing that surprise some people is which country first started speaking Spanish was it Mexico, Peru, jamaica or Colombia, that is always jamaica by many years, the only ones that could truly be said to pbe possibly before would be DR and PR with Cuba and jamaica probably about the same time. Of course this is simple general knowledge and history but apparently most people have little of that.

Comment

they also probably have coffee too ... suh why di hell blue mountain coffee is more expensive than Kona?

or why is it that Jamaican ginger is so sought after? isn't ginger after all grown elsewhere as well?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It's like that because we insist it, whatever "it" is, to be called Jamaican.

In New York, you ask for Jamaican pepper at the supermarket even though the very person who will show you where to find it knows it grows "natively" in his Peru!

However, as we stake our claim to food items that might not really be ours, we are losing it musically. The most popular music in Vanuatu is reggae, but some identify it as reggaeton, whose description did not make the slightest reference to Jamaica.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    It's like that because we insist it, whatever "it" is, to be called Jamaican.

In New York, you ask for Jamaican pepper at the supermarket even though the very person who will show you where to find it knows it grows "natively" in his Peru!

However, as we stake our claim to food items that might not really be ours, we are losing it musically. The most popular music in Vanuatu is reggae, but some identify it as reggaeton, whose description did not make the slightest reference to Jamaica.
                    LOL!! Vanuatu?? Nuh one set ah dot dat??????????

Woooiiiee mi Pixel-Nation!!!!!
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                      LOL!! Vanuatu?? Nuh one set ah dot dat??????????

Woooiiiee mi Pixel-Nation!!!!!
                      I know! Who would have thunk it! An island in the Pacific where time has stood still for thousands of years in some places.

Wi large!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't know where the ginger that we get here in foreign is grown, but I know that one likkle piece of Jamaican ginger hotter than the entire hand a ginger weh sell yasso.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

OK you are asking two questions here. The first point you make is correct that Hispaniola was settled before ja, look at my post again I said Dr and PR were probably ahead of Jamaica in terms of settlement timeline. On the others look at the timeline of settlement it is well established that the conquest of mex was done largely through Jamaican supplies and support from the established Spanish settlement there. Mex was probably first mainland settlement followed by Columbia and Peru, this is especially so just by looking at the geo spread and the mode of movement from east to west then to south.

Comment

Working...
                          X