RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaica's role in the possible feeding of the world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica's role in the possible feeding of the world...

Tropical fruit may play role in feeding 9.6 billion
    Jane Onyanga-Omara, USA TODAY 3:43 p.m. EDT June 1, 2015

As the world's population heads toward a projected 9.6 billion by 2050, producing enough healthy food in a sustainable manner will be a challenge. But a non-profit organization says it has a piece of the solution: breadfruit.

The Hawaii-based Breadfruit Institute hopes the tropical fruit — perhaps better known for its role in the tale of the mutiny on the Bounty — will play an important part in feeding billions.

The fruit first gained infamy in the 18th century, when William Bligh, the captain of the British navy ship HMS Bounty, was sent on a mission to take breadfruit plants from Tahiti to the West Indies as an inexpensive, nutritious food for slaves — a mission that was aborted due to an uprising. Bligh later returned to Tahiti and took breadfruit plants to St. Vincent and Jamaica.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Jamaica to Benefit?

The brief history lesson is nice, but all that will happen, after this theory becomes known throughout the world, is that EVERY tropical country will begin large scale planting of breadfruit trees and reaping of the fruit.

Like in everything else, there will be absolutely no benefit to Jamaica.

Comment

The fact is breadfruit. like mango deh a Portland and St.Mary a drop and a rotten. A god's gift to people. yellow heart, white heart. Like Ackee, nobody nuh plant it. When will be think about real production for these goods. Man say it is not profitable but Mexican can make profit out of producing lime, why can't we?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        The brief history lesson is nice, but all that will happen, after this theory becomes known throughout the world, is that EVERY tropical country will begin large scale planting of breadfruit trees and reaping of the fruit.

Historical One, you should have used ackee as an example. I think Assasin alluded to this fact.

Florida, Haiti , and the Bahamas has the monopoly on canned ackee. A can of ackee from Jamaica is almost twice the price of that grown in the place listed above.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Ok Histy...that is certainly a defensible point of view.. Consonant with your historical line

Apart from the usual music & sports exploits our people just love yappin about...Do you see any good in JA???

Or better yet...Do you see PRACTICAL ways we the little people can make JA better without waiting on government or a perfect "business climate"??

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

who has the $5 million USD start up capital...and the ability to sustain 5+ years before turning a profit? and why would they choose Jamaica of all places?

Comment

That is not even the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQMKmprYciQ
              you see it here. Government take people stuff and nuh pay it. Why would you sell them?
              People plant and man come with container and rip off the poor people and take their stuff. These criminals are not vetted by the government. I hear these two so many times.
              Some people will sell to Grace as they are provided with some technical assistance even though the price may not be very high but they are sure of their money. Grace etc. can only take a few farmers. The farmers rather sell at street side or sell it to higler as they are sure of their money.
              As mi say Mango, Lime, Breadfrut deh a Portland a stone dwag, people rather give their friend or leave it let it rotten. They have no motivation to plant. Why invest??? Plus not only to mention the people who a go raid you farm before it even fit for picking.
              You have to deal with the root of the problem as the farmers are wondering if the government and the criminals are one.
              It sound good and nice when you come up with plans but the problem is we have identify the root causes and deal with them first.
              If government pay farmers on time, have policy to identify the thieving middlemen and cut done larceny I am sure farming production will go up at least 30 percent and more people will invest.

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you can't export the stuff you see in the market...you need a processing plant that is certified by USDA...you also need water...electricity...fertilizer...pest control...security...that eliminates Jamaica...

Comment

The 'bizniz climate' nat right BTop!!
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

But Brickie, that is true but give someone a reason to invest. Why you going to plant when you don;t have any to wash or you not getting paid???

There are already some products that can be exported but people are still not planting as they are not getting paid. check the video, Cocoa is just one such product.

Brickie don't come with that, we know the quality and what is needed. As the farmers needed is information, security and PAYMENT. Without that it nuh matter what you build, you will not have anyone farming in quantity.

It can't export but them a load container a country and a rip off country people???? Somebody exporting some things..
                    Last edited by Assasin; June 8, 2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Well, Sir....

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                      Ok Histy...that is certainly a defensible point of view.. Consonant with your historical line

Apart from the usual music & sports exploits our people just love yappin about...Do you see any good in JA???

Or better yet...Do you see PRACTICAL ways we the little people can make JA better without waiting on government or a perfect "business climate"??
                      Don1, I was commenting on one thing only, and that is Jamaica’s chances of benefiting from any possible advantages for a breadfruit-producing country. I am not sure what this has to do with your statement and question.

In any case, I rarely make more than one comment in any thread (I don’t support the “rum bar” analogy). So, my brother, I’m making this exception simply to state that I am finished as far as this thread is concerned.

Comment

No worries if you have nothing to say on that all important subject...all important to me that is

It's much better than saying something that doesn't make sense...For example like Sa...kuh di time!! .. ABC "News" soon start suh mi gawn
                        Last edited by Don1; June 8, 2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X